JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a member of Tri-County. If all goes well, I'll be action range certified at the end of February after taking OFA's Defensive Handgun I class there.

Planning ahead, a question for existing Tri-County members who currently use the action range: Did you invest in a good quality IPSC type target stand for your practice sessions? I'm looking for advice and guidance before I buy anything.

Here are a couple of options I found through quick research:

<broken link removed>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=621263

I know there are also plans online for a DIY PVC pipe project. I'm usually into DIY stuff but that doesn't appeal to me here for some reason...though I'm open to being convinced.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I am a member of Tri-County and shoot on the Action range regularly. You will find when you take the qualifying course that Target stands are provided. I purchased IPSC cardboard targets online and staple to the wooden stands that are in all of the action pits.Sometimes I just bring cardboard and staple it to the stands and use Birchwood Casey Shoot-and-see targets.

Excellent, I didn't realize the smaller pits already had target stands.

I've only been on the action range once, for the monthly PPC match a couple of weekends ago. It was in the first long bay (#10 I believe) and as I recall there were no target stands there (until we fetched them from the shed and set them up). I simply assumed that was the case for all bays, and that it was "bring your own".

Thanks much, getting info like that is just one reason I like this sight so much.

Is there generally a long wait time to get a bay on weekends, IPSC matches etc. notwithstanding?

The target bases and poles are usually scattered amongst the bays and are free to use my the general membership without reservation, same goes for the barrels and such that you can find in a couple of the larger bays. The steel and larger baricades over by the connex are for match use only and are not for use by the general membership. That was the answer I received form both Fred when I took my Pit saftey class and was verified when I called Mary in the office to double check.

You can also build your own for cheap - 2x4s and 1x2s for the uprights. I did because some of the 'quality' of the ones in the pits can be questionable. Plus I'm never on an Easter egg hunt going pit to pit hoping some are available.

Someday I hope to save enough for some steel but the cash keeps getting spent on guns & ammo.

I use the action pits weekly and usually set up at a pit with a stand or two to use. I have built two of my own that are slightly different than those built by tcgc just in case there is ever a question. I only bring mine along when I plan to set up a multi use scenario with more than two or three stands. I agree, some of theirs are a bit sketchy, but it only has to hold a piece of cardboard and besides, I count it as a moving target when the wind blows them around a little. Also, a long time ago I gathered a bunch of cardboard from work and cut out silhouettes. I know you can buy them pretty cheap, but it was easy and kindof fun at the time. Enjoy the range and be SAFE and shoot straight!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top