JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted this same question on Snipershide, and thefiringline. The answer is either 18x1mm. or M18x1. As it is a metric rifle, I will go with the 18x1mm.

My reason for asking is in order to have the proper threads put onto a muzzle brake. Is there more information that I will need in order for a machinist to thread a muzzle brake, and if so what additional information will I need to provide?

You might want to think about cutting the barrel to 22" or 24" and having it threaded 5/8x24. You will have much broader choice of muzzle devices including silencers.

I think I'll keep the barrel at the original length and stay with the original threads just because I want to keep the rifle in the original "as issued" condition.

If the muzzle brake will be made locally, taking the rifle in is an excellent idea, but I'm not keen on shipping it across the country, and waiting for someone to get around to making the brake. As most of you know, almost all gunsmiths are backed up, and work estimates almost always take longer than the original estimate.

(My one exception to this was with West Wind Rifles in Colorado when I had an Obermeyer barrel installed. Boots Obermeyer recommended West Wind rifles, and the work came in with the money due exactly as originally stated, and the rifle was actually finished on the due date, with fabulous quality of work...the rifle shoots 1.3 to 1.4 inches at 300 yards with a 300 win mag)

Give me a call if you want it done by a gunsmith that wont give you the run-a-round. If you are in luck I could do it while you wait. I am not too busy right now and dont mind people watching. Let me know if its someting you want to talk about. I do alot of muzzle breaks. I also have a guy that can make a CNC break for you and I can have it in about 2-3 days. I just ordered 3 this afternoon and they will ship in the morning. If you are just wanting a TRG look alike you can buy one from Near MFG. they make one specifically for the TRG. Very nice looking.

Jason Perry
Dead On Accurate
541-409-6378

I do alot of custom work for people on the "hide" you can ask around if you like.

Thanks

Jason

I'm in the Milwaukie, OR area, so I'll give you a call. Driving to Brownsville and waiting doesn't make as much sense as doing our business by mail, but I really appreciate your generous offer to do the work while I wait...that is really nice. I also appreciate the referral to Near manufacturing.

Right now I'm playing phone tag with a fellow at Smith Enterprises. They make a neat brake for the M14 (Coast Guard model) that might work if I could either get one threaded 18x1mm, or have then sell me an unthreaded one that I could have someone thread for me..(if that is even a good idea)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top