JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any info from people who rifle hunt from tree stands or Tripod stands. Pro's and cons?
Hunting in a tree stand/Tripod stand in Western Oregon convenient or what is the better method (stalk and kill)?

Trying to decide whether to spend money on one. I was thinking in areas like Wilson or Trask terrain.

Hmmm.. I've never used one but have also wondered about it. There is a patch of private property I have access to that had a stand left up from archery season. One buddy of mine sat in it all day and saw nothing. I would imagine they would work if placed properly. However, from what I am aware, blacktail are not as predictable as whitetails as far as use of trails, bedding and feeding areas. So placing a treestand might be tricky out here. I would suggest place close to bedding areas/clear cuts but not so close as to disrupt or make your presence known. There are some very experienced hunters on this forum and hopefully they can chime in with some knowledge.

I've thought of using blinds in the past but never got around to actually doing so. Someday I'll try it.

It can work with some serious homework. I don't have the patience to sit in one place all day, myself. :eek:

Get Boyd Iversons book, Blacktail Trophy Tactics II . That's pretty much the only way he hunts I believe.

Just looked up the book on Amazon, looks like its a good read. Lots of positive feedback. My favorite is this one, "I used to be a tree hugging hippie chick vegetarian, until I read Boyd's book on Blacktails. It has changed my life! I traded in my sandals for a nice used Martin Maverick". lol

Blacktail don't look up any more then Whitetails. So if you have a stand placed that views a feeding area or a trail it should work. As would a Blind

I think I might use a stand in about 30 years or so when I can no longer ride a horse or hike. I'll just have my grandson or grandsons wheel me out, prop me up with a 50 cal and let me go to work.

I've been using a treestand the last couple of years. Seen more animals than I did without it. Just have to pick the right area and be patient. Sitting in a treestand from before daylight until dark has been one of the toughest things I've ever done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top