JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe this could've gone into the survival area since my family called it "the bomb shelter" since the 60's. But actually it's just a damp, unheated underground junk room below the garage with bare cement walls and that nasty reek of mold.

Hoping to tone that down a bit. But I can't stand the smell of Kilz and I'm concerned about breathing chlorine bleach fumes while I spray it out with a Wagner or something. Any recommendations? Get a respirator?

Not trying to make it into a cozy den or anything, but I do worry about inhaling mold when I spend any time cutting or grinding at the workbench in there. Measure twice, cut once and get the h*ll out.

What's a simple treatment I can use to knock the mold funk down a bit? Thanks for ideas.

Amway, yes Amway has an awesome product called Pursue that kills most anything. But just putting 1 part bleach with about 10 parts water in a garden sprayer should do the trick. And as long as you don't point the sprayer at your mouth you should be just fine. You could use the same soup with a mop and a bucket. I'd be more cautious about your eyes than your lungs with bleach. The odor from liquid bleach is just unpleasant, it's not chlorine gas. Just coat the walls and floor and then dry it out like stated above. Air movement is actually more important than heat in a space like that. Sounds like a nice safe room to me!

HEAT and LIGHT get some 500 watt Halogen shop lights and point them at every wall. run them for a couple days kill that crap. Then Wash the walls with TSP and a scrub brush. Reapply the shop lights to dry. Then paint the concrete with a GOOD sealer. Once the sealer is dry paint with what ever you want.

And make sure the room stays heated or the mold will return.

I just took a mold abatement class, Everyone above is right. The only thing I usto do which is now a nono is spraying bla bla. Yes it spreads the spores. Anyway I would spray pure bleach then neutralise with water. They do make a water base concrete primer that doesnt smell as bad. Use a respirator anyway with gloves and eye protection

Last Edited:
And not just any old dust mask. Get a real painters respirator at the very least, they will work for most organic fumes. (But not all). As you will be working in an inclosed space with chems. I would consult someone who knows like maybe the safety rep at your local welding supply. The ones I have worked with were very knowledgeable about what kind of mask, respirator, filter stack, or fresh air system one would need.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top