JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I think 1031 (e) is another important piece :

(e) AUTHORITIES.—Nothing in this section shall be
construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to
the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident
aliens of the United States or any other persons who are
captured or arrested in the United States.

I have read the bill instead of internet panic about it. It excludeds American Citizens, as quoted above.

Not, only that, but the bill WAS DEFEATED IN THE SENATE TWO DAYS AGO, THANKS TO PAUL RAND.

LINK

Ya'll can unwad your panties now. We all know this would have been jumped all over and beaten at the SC if it had been what the internet posers said it was.

warningsign1.jpg

Didnt him and Levin write it? And didnt the senate vote on like the 29th to strike the portion that includes American citizens but that failed? What am I missing?

I believe it was Justice Department who produced it :

The Act itself came about after the September 11th attacks on New York City and the Pentagon. After these attacks, Congress immediately started work on several proposed antiterrorist bills, before the Justice Department finally drafted a bill called the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2001.

USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have read the bill instead of internet panic about it. It excludeds American Citizens, as quoted above.

Not, only that, but the bill WAS DEFEATED IN THE SENATE TWO DAYS AGO, THANKS TO PAUL RAND.

LINK

Ya'll can unwad your panties now. We all know this would have been jumped all over and beaten at the SC if it had been what the internet posers said it was.

Internet Posers? This is from your own link that looks like its from paul's site.

(S.1867), amendment No. 1274 would have allowed the U.S. government to detain an American citizen indefinitely, even after they had been tried and found not guilty, until Congress declares an end to the war on terror.

Internet Posers? This is from your own link that looks like its from paul's site.

(S.1867), amendment No. 1274 would have allowed the U.S. government to detain an American citizen indefinitely, even after they had been tried and found not guilty, until Congress declares an end to the war on terror. .

That was a proposed amendment, but it didn't pass. It went down in flames in the Senate on Dec. 2, 41-59 thanks to Rand Paul.

It's amazing how people will jump on an internet rumor.

Ok so until this amendment was defeated which I totally didnt know about then do you agree that we should have had our "panties in a wad"?

Ok so until this amendment was defeated which I totally didnt know about then do you agree that we should have had our "panties in a wad"?

We can't panic every time some crazy Senator introduces an amendment to a bill (harmless in its own) in consideration to take away our freedoms. If you use the link above, you can see there are tons of amendments in different stages of consideration. Only when a complete amended (read dangerous) bill makes it out into the House, that's when we can start worrying :) Of course it would be nice if the people who voted for those dudes kept an eye on them, and recall them when they pull a stunt like that. But as long as the people vote on single issues (see Newt thread), I doubt that will happen.

Well there is still the rest of the bill which sucks, but I don't think it will pass the House. The Senate and House will begin committee negotiations on what's left, and it should get trimmed some more. I hope.

Oh my........

Gunner, you might want to work on setting your own stuff straight before you set to work on others.

The subsection posted from section 1032 does not apply to 1031 which is the section everyone here is talking about. To be fair and intellectually honest, section 1031, IMO, does not clearly allow for the detention of U.S. citizens, but it does not clearly disallow it either. There is much debate going on about that now, which just further proves the ambiguity about the wording.

The bill was not defeated. It has passed. Maybe a proper understanding of the way our legislative branch functions would have served you well in this instance. What was defeated was a nasty amendmant that was unambiguous in it's intentions. It was defeated through an objection by Rand Paul that forced a roll call vote. By the way, John McCain voted for it, and he also sponsered S.1867.

LINK

Oh my........

Gunner, you might want to work on setting your own stuff straight before you set to work on others.

I don't think you read my post #77.

"Well there is still the rest of the bill which sucks, but I don't think it will pass the House. The Senate and House will begin committee negotiations on what's left, and it should get trimmed some more. I hope."

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads