Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Travelling in early December

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by huthuthike, May 27, 2016.

1. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

First, thanks for any help or suggestions on this question.
    My wife and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary December 10th and want to travel out of the country. We both have passports that have not been used yet and want to use them. We are looking to travel somewhere warm or sunny or interesting in December. She would like to see Mayan ruins and have tacos in Mexico, I have no strong preferences. We are looking to spend about $2500 including airfare for a 5-7 day stay.
    1. I'm sure Mexico is possible. I see deals all over for packages around $2000 at all-inclusive resorts. We're not sit around the pool type people, are these worth it?
    2. Flying from Portland (maybe Seattle), is the Caribbean or Europe possible in our budget? I could probably talk her into Western Europe, even if the weather is not sunny/warm. Are there other destinations that should be considered?
    3. Are there still travel agencies that make this easy or is it significantly cheaper to book everything online? Do travel agencies provide services that make them worth the premium (if there is a premium)?
    Again, thanks for any help!

2. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Look into Sandals. My wife and I plan to stay at one somewhere in the Caribbean for our tenth coming up in a year and a half. So far I'm budgeting about 4K for air and stay. However that's because i want to go apebubblegum instead of the usual "economy"!

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Be careful if you go to Mexico and stay in the tourist heavy areas for safety sake.

The San Juan Islands are amazing in the summer as is Victoria and a number of other places in the area. It's not the tropics but it's a heck of a lot safer and cheaper then Mexico. (Just re read Dec 10th).

Florida Keys are amazing. Honestly your 2k budget is a bit limiting for a foreign trip. Even Hawaii would be hard to make work with that.

I didn't have any money to do something for our 20th this year so I'm not judging or tossing stones.

Sgt Nambu and CoastRange57 like this.
  4. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Out of the country about the time the Electoral College meets .... hmmmm ... nothing suspicious there .... do you have round trip plans? Or are you soliciting escape advice ?

On the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December(December 19, 2016), the electors meet in their respective States to cast their votes for President and Vice President of the United States.

What do you know that we do not know?

5. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We are going to Belize in march. I have never been any where tropical and the wife wants to see the Mayan ruins, which have to be pretty cool. English speaking, fly there direct via Dallas on FAA inspected aircraft, no foreign rattle trap planes for me, and first class flights.

I think your budget is a bit on the low side for high season travel. We figure the Belize trip will cost about $ 7,000 all in. Still pretty good for two for 8 days. Bucket list, we don't make a habitat of this.

Joe13 likes this.
  6. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Went to sandals Royal Jamaican. Was a hoot, lots to do and good food weather etc. Great fun learning scuba, and knee boarding in salt water . Never got the hang of sailing the little boats but I had fun trying. Smokin Cubans:p All inclusive. Downside was the RedStripe:rolleyes: terrible beer.

Been to Hilton Waikaloa a couple a times. Its on the big Island. Its worth looking into. Lots to do on Hawaii.http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Wife and I travelled through Costco Travel and was like $1700 for a week at an all inclusive in Mexico, flight included. For our 10th anniversary. Open bar was nice.

v0lcom13sn0w and Joe13 like this.
  8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I liked those places growing up.

Just don't get in a fight or you may end up in a Mexican prison for months before you get home...

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I, also think you might be a little low at $2,000. Heck the wife and I just drove to Moab Utah for a week and it was over $1,800!

You can all hoot and haw at me, but one of the best vacations we've ever had was a Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean! Stopped at several islands, the ships themselves are fun! We mostly toured on our own, you know, hire a taxi and such. Lots of old forts and towns and history!
    Oh, BTW, the food, shipboard, was incredible! And that's just in the BUFFET!!!:cool::D;)

BTW, again, the buffet is in the entirely glassed in fantail on the 12 deck! So 120'+ above the sea. It's all beautiful too! They polish the polish cans and you will never see a frown from a crew person.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    salmonriverjohn and Joe13 like this.
  10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I believe if you willing to bring a couple small packages back with you there are travel arrangements that can be made to Mexico and almost the whole trip can be paid for. Of course you may also incur free lodging after the trip if things don't go well.

11. BlackRyder

BlackRyder Edmonds Well-Known Member

I would stay away from package resorts and look into renting a house through craigslist or vacation rentals by owner or air b'nb. You would be amazed by some of the deals you can get. And you'll have a much more memorable experience and get to really immerse yourselves in the local culture- which is what I think you're going for from your comment about not being the sit around the pool types. The last time I went to Costa Rica I rented a small place 3minutes walk from the beach for $250/week. The money I saved went towards a rental car which allowed me to do some exploring.
    The last time I went to Mexico I just rented a car and brought my tent- drove and camped my way from Puerto Vallarta all the way down to southern michoacan state. That was an under $2,500 trip as well (for a month long vacation). if you're willing to be slightly dirtbaggey there are definitely ways to stay under 3grand. And don't worry about Mexico- if you're not an idiot (don't drive at night, don't buy cocaine from that dude at the bar in the soccer jersey, be polite to the locals, etc.) you'll be fine.
    If you just can't get over the stories you hear, go to Costa Rica. Slightly more expensive, but safer. Unless you're in Jaco or San Jose. Good luck making your decision!

12. BlackRyder

This. Going off on your own, away from the crowds and obnoxious tourist types is the best way to have a memorable experience. Wherever you end up going, figure out a way to get off the beaten path and really immerse yourselves in the local culture. Taxi drivers are always a good place to start asking for information- they are always happy to share "locals only" information, and have a vested interest in keeping you safe.

13. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

14. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So more Americans are murdered in Mexico than in America? Interesting.

I'll pass on Mexico too.

15. BlackRyder

Don't be scared of Mexico! I'm sure the high number of Americans murdered there has a lot to do with the fact that it is the closest cheap foreign country to us, thus attracting the most Americans looking for a tropical type vacation. I'm not saying it's a totally safe place, but My buddies and I have been doing road trips down there for years and never had a problem. You just have to know how to blend in. And don't drive at night!! After 7:30 pm all Mexicans turn into werewolves.

16. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Americans are easy marks everywhere because they are defenseless in foreign countries. It's just a matter of "are you just going to be robbed or robbed and killed?"

17. BlackRyder

Well, yes, if you count a firearm as your only method of defense. But there are other ways to stay safe. I've travelled all over the world, to many places that people consider "unsafe" (the Middle East, Indonesia, n Africa to name a few) and never once felt like I was in danger. I guess it depends on how far outside your comfort zone you are willing to go- Im glad I didn't stay away from areas or activities that people are afraid of, I feel like my life is a lot richer for it. Then again, I'm one of those types who isn't satisfied unless I fear for my life at least twice a week.
    I guess my point is that fear keeps us away from a lot of life experience, and in my opinion, is not a valid reason to not do something or go somewhere. (Within reason, of course. I'm not advocating for stupidity here...)

18. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I'm going to 2nd old Sgt. Nambu on the cruise choice.
    Been with four different cruise lines and will say that Princes has far and away been our favorite.
    Do the 7-9 day Mexican riviera cruise. Good time/food and entertainment. If you go, make sure you go to Los calitis island, very nice.