JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I'm traveling to a new state with my firearms including NFA items(Suppressors and destructive device)
Do airlines treat NFA items any differently then regular firearms when declaring them on the plane? Especially the destructive device

Your going to want to contact your airline and read through their policies regarding firearms transportation. I haven't done it with a NFA item before, but I would imagine it shouldn't matter, but the destructive devise may be different! No idea.
I generally avoided flying anyway, but I have transported rifles and ammo before, as long as you follow their instructions, it's not a biggy! These days I would be traveling with a double stamp item plus a couple pistols and max ammo! It's also why I'm my own pilot, I don't answer to anyone!
Side note, you WILL need to notify the ATF about transporting an NFA item to another state though!

Depending on what you are transporting, you will need to file a form 5320.20 with the ATF a and wait for approval. You can pick a range of dates. It takes a few weeks on average to get approved. Do not transport your SBR or whatever without it. You will have to list every address you plan to stay during your trip as well.

I travel to my parents place a few times a year, and it does not require an overnight stay anywhere, so for me I apply for transfer from February 1 through December 1 with their address every year.

If your travel requires a stop, make sure that local laws allow for you to possess your items, and you can supply an address at the stop.

There is plenty of info online about this. Just search for travel with NFA items.

I've never flown with an NFA item, so I can't help you there, but you do need to submit the following form before moving them interstate:

I have read that you DO NOT have to wait for approval to transport the items, but that could just be internet folklore, do your own research on that.

I submit one once a year with Jan 1st, 20xx to Dec. 31st 20xx since I go to my property in Montana several times a year.

I submitted my 5320.20 form over a month ago and haven't heard back. It is odd because my form 1 efile approval took 3 weeks.
This irritates the bubblegum out of me. I have been waiting 10 months for my form 4 efile to get approved. Such crap. Most unconstitutional thing ever.

This irritates the bubblegum out of me. I have been waiting 10 months for my form 4 efile to get approved. Such crap. Most unconstitutional thing ever.
No such thing as a form 4 efile 10 months ago. You may have filed through Silencer Shop 10 months ago but at that time it was not a true efile. Form 4 efile has only been a thing since the first part of 2022.

No such thing as a form 4 efile 10 months ago. You may have filed through Silencer Shop 10 months ago but at that time it was not a true efile. Form 4 efile has only been a thing since the first part of 2022.
Yes it was electronic through them.

Hello, I'm traveling to a new state with my firearms including NFA items(Suppressors and destructive device)
Do airlines treat NFA items any differently then regular firearms when declaring them on the plane? Especially the destructive device
Don't do what former Seahawks LT Duane brown did. He was arrested yesterday at LAX for having an unloaded gun in his luggage.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews