JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, long time no see. I have been extremely busy with life and apparently not slowing down anytime soon. I am trying to change that in the next year or two. One of the things I am thinking about is adding nice RV and more travel.

What guns would you take for defense that are legal in most states. I have been considering a Stainless Marlin 45-70, probably with XS sights and Hornady ammo along with a 1911.

Well, since so many states have so many laws it's tough to give a general answer.

Good to see you, BTW!

Any of the pistol caliber Carbines (PCC's) are good for this. Since most states are far less restrictive on long guns than they are on hand guns. Be VERY careful about "advice" on any net forum though. If you run afoul of the law no judge is going to care what someone told you. I think the NRA page still has some good info to search through for state to state laws. Often you run into cities that have their own too. It's a mess.

Get your OR, WA and UT concealed permits at the least and you can keep that 1911 in the front cab loaded for a majority of the states;).

At least over on this side of the mountains they often hold classes that meet the requirements for all three but then you have to do some leg work to actually get the permit applications filled out - then just don't let them lapse and you can keep renewing them last I looked.

I've taken one of those classes but didn't not follow thru with the UT permit because I do not travel hardly at all.

As stated above check with each state's laws you are traveling in or through.

I think I would choose a low profile firearm like a .30/30 carbine or a plain pump action shotgun in .12 or .20 gauge.
Easy to get ammo for and common enough / legal in most states.
Andy

Well you can take a shotgun and a rifle to canada. Just have to jump thru some hoops,no big deal.
I think your choices are as good as it gets. Less than ten rounds and plenty of stopping power. Those are the two I have in the Cruiser most the time. The other one is my M39 marlin but it holds 20 rounds:eek:.
May be a shotgun in there would be good.
If you are still based out of Spokane,just get across to Idaho and get their new enhanced permit. It's good for 34-35 states?
The funny thing about most of the states that honor say utah's permit is that unlike Wa,a loaded gun in the car is not a concealed weapon its concealed when you get out and its concealed on you.
Of course concealed carry.org? And open carry.org have links to any state you want to see their laws.
Hey NW glad you didn't get eaten by sharks!

Well you can take a shotgun and a rifle to canada. Just have to jump thru some hoops,no big deal.
I think your choices are as good as it gets. Less than ten rounds and plenty of stopping power. Those are the two I have in the Cruiser most the time. The other one is my M39 marlin but it holds 20 rounds:eek:.
May be a shotgun in there would be good.
If you are still based out of Spokane,just get across to Idaho and get their new enhanced permit. It's good for 34-35 states?
The funny thing about most of the states that honor say utah's permit is that unlike Wa,a loaded gun in the car is not a concealed weapon its concealed when you get out and its concealed on you.
Of course concealed carry.org? And open carry.org have links to any state you want to see their laws.
Hey NW glad you didn't get eaten by sharks!

I am still trying, I spend a lot of time underwater.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top