JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know most of us carry a pistol everyday, most places we go. I travel a lot, sometimes for work, sometimes for pleasure, and I have an hourish commute to work.

I was wondering, how many of you take a rifle with you on trips or long drives?

I feel bad leaving my AR or AK at home, because "you never know what will happen"... I know, I really will probably never NEED a rifle for self defense away from home. But it feels good to have it.

I never have a rifle on board but I remember when lots of PU trucks had the rear window racks and a rifle right there in plain sight. Didn't bother anyone then, what the heck happened with people now ? :mad:

Used to have a gun rack in the pick-up with the rifle visible. No one gave a second thought. I travel multi-hour trips in-state 2-4 times / month over remote areas. One never knows any more what kinda s*** is about to happen. (Just got my new tin-foil hat). Either a M1A and multiple mags or same with 6.8 on board. 5:50 AM followed an unmarked very dark blue armored rig with lots of dish antennas over Santiam about 3 months ago. ??? :cool:

I do, people call it crazy and mock the prepared. I also carry food, water, blankets, fire starting kit, fire suppression kit batteries, a first aid kit and a road side kit all when I travel further than an hour outside of home (in my personal vehicle) not my work truck. Some of that stuff never leaves my car, higher end things do until
I venture out.
Do I ever need any of that stuff? Nope. But I have all of it just in case.. Just as I carry a rifle.

Ill rotate what I bring though as my other ladies get "jealous" of the ones that have been on a road trip a time or two before.. ;)
But Ill mainly tote an AR or one of my AKs.

Im not parinoid at all. If anything, having all that puts my mind at ease. I can pretty much handle anything. When things DO go wrong I get asked why I act so calm, and thats why. I have it covered.

Now, shady parts of town? Its what ever I can fit in a backpack (AK pistol or a pistol and all the goodies.. and I leave "some" other items at home.

If I go on a long trip or just a over night drive,I'll take a battle rifle.
"....because it might take a LONG time to walk home from a 10 hour drive."
I always have my 10mm glock with a couple hundred rounds in the truck but feel much better having some type of rifle.Of course I don't travel in metropolitan areas.I tend to go out to the middle of nowhere

Haha I figured so. My girlfriend thinks it's crazy! I need to invest in a nice discreet case, for carrying a rifle through hotels and into my room...

It's called a suitcase. Break your AR down into two pieces and it'll probably fit between the clothes in whatever you're using now. Throw each half down the leg of a set of work pants if you don't want it touching your good clothes. Mags can go in the pockets. Call 'em your range pants. ;)

The benefit of living in small town America is that very few people give me a second look when I leave my house in the morning with a lever action slung over my shoulder or when I walk back in at night the same way. Perhaps an AR or AK would be more appropriate, but I like my .30-30...

Haha I figured so. My girlfriend thinks it's crazy! I need to invest in a nice discreet case, for carrying a rifle through hotels and into my room...
Sheesh, I just recently saw for sale here a sweet short-barreled takedown model 30 12ga pump.. about 80 years old.. $350(25?) and perfecto. I talked myself out of it for some stupid reason.
Dang, I need that shotgun.

The benefit of living in small town America is that very few people give me a second look when I leave my house in the morning with a lever action slung over my shoulder or when I walk back in at night the same way. Perhaps an AR or AK would be more appropriate, but I like my .30-30...
Ha! I was showing ny buddy how to fly cast his new rig at a north Portland park, and on the way back, a cop pulled over really fast upon seeing a rod case slung over his shoulder. He then realized his mistake and was on his way.

You could do this with the AK
3756602_01_m92_pap_with_folding_sig_brace_640.jpg

Or this with the AR
2345639_03_sig_sauer_p556_10_bbl_with_fol_640.jpg

And still have a "rifle" that will fit in an innocuous gym bag, tennis bag etc.

Does Samsonite make holsters for those? lol. never got into the hand rifle thing but nice blasters

Folding brace on the AR or AK pistol is the shizznit. When they are folded up and in a backpack they fit nicely. :D

And I know the ATF says that if you put the brace on to avoid the tax stamp, you are in trouble, but if you have to pull one of these out and your muscle memory is to shoulder it and shoot, my bet is the ATF isn't going to roll you up for it.

Folding brace on the AR or AK pistol is the shizznit. When they are folded up and in a backpack they fit nicely. :D

And I know the ATF says that if you put the brace on to avoid the tax stamp, you are in trouble, but if you have to pull one of these out and your muscle memory is to shoulder it and shoot, my bet is the ATF isn't going to roll you up for it.
Hey I hear you brother and appreciate the concept/capability. I hope you carry a "normal" (and oft approaching rifle effectiveness) handgun for those times that that gat ain't handy to you.

You may want to pack some high quality earpro with an AR or AK pistol. Those suckers are loud as heck. The immediate, permanent hearing damage kind of loud. On that subject, Tula's steel cased Russian 55 grain 223 makes a fireball about the size of a basketball out of a 7 inch barrel. Just so you know. :D

I with the others that take more then just a rifle.

I take my good boots and a pack with the stuff I'll need to get home.

Seattle to Portland is a long walk but doable with the right gear.

I'd rather pack all that staff and then have to unpack it and never need it then to get stuck 100+ (or even 20) miles away from home and need it...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top