JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I've tried searching and I've had some mixed results. I play on going on a road trip for probably a week or so down to Los Angeles (unfortunately..) to visit some friends and family. Yeah, I know CA sucks. My question is, how can I legally bring my gun down there with me? From my understanding, I will need 10 round mags, which sucks but is okay, I can live with that, I'll just borrow a few 10 rounders from a friend. Also, it appears that the gun needs to be empty and in a locked container in the trunk, but in my car the rear seats fold down, I've heard that I can't put it in the back if the seats fold down. Gun and ammo separate is what I'm guessing I have to do. Should I even bother bringing it with me? I'm not really trying to have it confiscated or me go to jail.

when I go to cali I just take my biometric handgun safe in the car with the pistol in it, it's an suv but I just sit it in the back, my friend that is a cali cop said that was fine,

Follow the speed limits, and obey all traffic laws. Keep your weapon close, because California is dangerous. Those people and their silly laws can pack sand.

I am NOT an attorney and am not giving legal advice! :cool:

Follow the speed limits, and obey all traffic laws. Keep your weapon close, because California is dangerous. Those people and their silly laws can pack sand.

I am NOT an attorney and am not giving legal advice! :cool:

Actually, don't follow the freeway speed limit unless you are in the far right lane or want to spark road rage. When traffic is clear on the freeway, 75mph is the expected speed. As I learned when I lived there, keep it under 80 and you're fine. Any slower than 75 and you piss people off.

Travel down thru central Oregon and into Nevada, then cut across thru Los Vegas (not on a Sunday to avoid the return traffic to LA) in order to spend as little time in the state as possible.

when I go to cali I just take my biometric handgun safe in the car with the pistol in it, it's an suv but I just sit it in the back, my friend that is a cali cop said that was fine,
Looks like I need to buy a small safe then. Since I don't have a permit for CA, I'm assuming open/concealed carry is a no go. At least I'll have it in the car with me as I'm traveling I suppose.
You must really love those folks. There are plenty of nice place to visit in the Western USA without going to a Communist country.
Well they're family, I have no choice but to love them, heh. But I agree, I would not go to California unless it was warranted. I very much prefer the great states of WA, OR and ID.
Travel down thru central Oregon and into Nevada, then cut across thru Los Vegas (not on a Sunday to avoid the return traffic to LA) in order to spend as little time in the state as possible.
I like this idea, I'm gonna keep this in mind as I route my trip.

Thank you to all who have posted, if anyone has additional advice feel free to chime in! Or if anyone has some 10 round Glock 17 mags I can borrow for the trip.. Heh.

You don't need a small safe. When in California, I carry mine (unloaded of course) in a travel case that uses a combination lock. You could get a second one for your ammo. I just bought a plastic case for my dad for $6 at Christmas. It fits a .44 mag. The lock was an additional $5 at the hardware store. I would just leave them at home, personally. Too much of a PITA. Unless you are going to be here for a while and your family doesn't have any weapons to protect themselves.

I love when I am in Reno and I can carry it legally, loaded in the center console. I need to get there full time ASAP.

I hate California, there I said it I feel better now.
God to live there I would have to have a Lithium and Prozac milkshakes for breakfast lunch and dinner.
And people wonder why WA and OR are paranoid?

With the gun travel laws there, I would be dead before I could even get my hands on my gun case.
Of Course the criminal was armed the whole time. And probably been arrested 6 times on weapon charges.

And Diane Frankenstein would say well the criminal wouldn't have shot him had he not tried to defend himself.

GRRRRRRR!!!!

Well I lived there for a few months and I loved it, this was prior to my discovery if the firearms community, I was young from a small town so flying down through the smog/ clouds and seeing nothing but city as far as the eye could see was very exciting. And the LADIES!!! Oh my the ladies.

But now I'm older and I say piss on CA, all my family moved so thank god I never have to go back.

I will not go to California due to their laws. My wife's family wants to hold a family reunion but we won't be going (my wife is of the same mindset as me on this). My money can go to other places which don't drastically restrict a fundamental right. From the news I've been hearing it is about to get worse for Cali as they have more law abiding citizen control on the floor of the Assembly in Sacramento.

As pointed out this is a really long way to go but it's a beautiful drive.

I thought 1911 mags are all legal in the Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia. I don't think John Moses Browning was thinking about California when he designed it. :D

Relax Glock guys......Just having a little fun. I'm one of you. In additions to a few 1911's I also have a few Glocks.

Oh almost forgot. If you seriously did go this way, make sure you tank up every opportunity. When I was planning a big road trip, going North-to-south thru central Nevada, I got curious about which of the towns in central Nevada we could stop at to eat or possible stay the night. More than a few were nothing more than abandoned cinder-block buildings.

hey tig it is LAS not los Vegas

No I'm pretty sure last time I was there I LOSt quite a bit of $$$ :)

I have friends and family there and love sun. I'd go there every month if I didn't have a business to run. As it is I'm there easy 3 or 4 times a year. I never take a firearm, I don't drive. I have but it sucks *** going through the crap parts of Oregon and wasting 13 Mrs in lieu of a 2 hr flight. Lol in selma , or some pill billies called my fiance a yellow person.

Ammo and firearms separate, firearm in a locked container. The container can be a gun rug with a lock on the zipper. The whole idea is that they don't want you to be able to access the firearm quickly enough to defend yourself. The fold down seats are fine. I always carried my revolvers in a locked box, rifles and shotguns in locked trunck.

DO NOT keep an accessible loaded firearm in the car--you WILL go to prison.

I was born and raised in Stockton, CA. As a kid it was paradise, right out of a Steinbeck novel. I left in 2000 after marrying an OR native. I have no desire to go back, for anything. If you go, take US 395 all the way to LV, NV. If you take I-5 DO NOT stop in Stockton.

mkfy2o-b781086201z.120130329141559000gl41d6rol.1.jpg
People pass a billboard placed by the police officers association in Stockton, where Chapter 9 bankruptcy was declared last year.

100805054418_old-sktn-billboard-320.jpg
There was another one erected by the Stockton police officers association saying "We can no longer protect you", but I can't find the pic anywhere.

I have biz associates in Stockton and go there a few times a year. Its a fine little town to stop in. JFC you guys are ridiculous, scared of your own shadows.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top