JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rally: No, California does not recognize any other states concealed license.
Also, your AR sounds like it is a rifle. The transport of a rifle and hand gun are similar, there.

Viper: Yeah, seriously. For some reason a lot of you guys on here seem to think that in California, it is all big shoot outs and danger behind every corner. I lived there for most of my life, was in only a couple of situations(places) where I felt the hair go up on the back of my head, and I bugged out fast. But in general, I did not feel the need to carry, as much as I might have wanted to. I feel pretty much the same way up here, although, I do prefer the option of concealed carry. I guess it really depends upon where you go. I don't disagree with you about wanting to have the option of being able to defend yourself. However, as the OP asked, what should he do while traveling down there. The CA Law says one thing. I might not agree with it, but I am not going to tell him to break the law. It sounded as if he wanted information about how he could transport his firearm and ammo legally. Legally, it is locked in a case, unloaded, separate from the ammo. Do anything else, that is your business, but you can't come back at me and say, "But he said!"

sounds to me like the OP knows what he was going to do... but wanted to know 'what you would do'

I am not the paranoid type... and I am very familiar with CA, I have been there numerous times for lengthy stays... I don't think of Cali as a dangerous place... Mexico City... yes, Disneyland.. nope... but as many have said before, I cannot predict a car accident, doesn't mean I drive around with my seat belt off... I used to carry occasionally, but now 24/7... I don't even know its there most of time and I tell you what... I would rather have it just in case than not have it at all.

I live in a small suburban town where the population is around 20,000. Our police blotter looks something like... "the police were called to help the old lady cross the street". We have a trail that spans many miles and kids, women and dog walkers take to the trail daily... about 2-3 months ago, some punk with a gun walked up to another pair of teens, called them a few names and then BANG BANG in the face... both teens went down. The guy ran for the woods... same woods as my back yard.... You better believe I carry. I nor my family refuse to be a victim.

The OP asked what you or I would do because he wants to feel good about his decision. To be Frank.... Cali laws can kiss my you know what. I did it and I would do it again.

They are not going to lock you up if you are one who has no priors, carries a valid CWP and are obeying the law, (i.e. your not threatening harm to someone else). Show me case law in Cali where one such individual has been charged... Fear of the unknown is powerful.

They are not going to lock you up if you are one who has no priors, carries a valid CWP and are obeying the law, (i.e. your not threatening harm to someone else). Show me case law in Cali where one such individual has been charged... Fear of the unknown is powerful.

Personally, I know of one person who's a father of a close friend.

Having no priors may help to get the charges reduced, an Oregon CHL isnt valid in California, and carrying a weapon without a valid CA CHL is against the law.
Fear of the Law is powerful, but ignorance of it is just dangerous. If I were you, I'd stop advocating ignorance.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...-firearms/california-concealed-weapon-charges

Rally: No, California does not recognize any other states concealed license.
Also, your AR sounds like it is a rifle. The transport of a rifle and hand gun are similar, there.

Viper: Yeah, seriously. For some reason a lot of you guys on here seem to think that in California, it is all big shoot outs and danger behind every corner. I lived there for most of my life, was in only a couple of situations(places) where I felt the hair go up on the back of my head, and I bugged out fast. But in general, I did not feel the need to carry, as much as I might have wanted to. I feel pretty much the same way up here, although, I do prefer the option of concealed carry. I guess it really depends upon where you go. I don't disagree with you about wanting to have the option of being able to defend yourself. However, as the OP asked, what should he do while traveling down there. The CA Law says one thing. I might not agree with it, but I am not going to tell him to break the law. It sounded as if he wanted information about how he could transport his firearm and ammo legally. Legally, it is locked in a case, unloaded, separate from the ammo. Do anything else, that is your business, but you can't come back at me and say, "But he said!"

I'm not going to elaborate much on details unless specific questions are directed, but here are just a few of the times we had to draw down there in self defense, over the last 10 years we were there. I omit several other, less scary events

age 21.. sunbathing on remote river beach.. rape pack of 6 Central Americans tried swimming the river to get at my wife, yelling about what they would do once they got over. The Walther PP 32 I raised in the air comically ended the situation before they reached mid stream. I had my wife retreating to the car but we never would have escaped before they got over

Age 24 my wife had to pull same pistol in a parking lot to ward off a car prowler who was stealing a co-worker's stereo and got quite uppity at her, till he saw the gun. It was dark and no retreat was possible, and her co-worker was worse than useless

Age 25, a pair of illegal alien serial shooters/killers had been blasting cars with a sawed off 12 GA on a back HWY for months. We had the unpleasant distinction of getting to know them over a 10 mile stretch of "chicken" at the end of which I pulled a nickel M19 up high and they scrammed. They were caught 2 weeks later by the CHP and their pics were in the Sacramento Bee, that's how we found out who the scumbags were. It was obvious they were trying to run us off the road to get at my wife, but both of us were armed

Age 26 helping my sister move, a pack of 4 drunken, doped up meth head types threatened to pull my wife and sister out of her car and gang rape them in the parking lot. I got the girls out of there and had to confront the crazies point blank in the process.. long story but a .22 auto saved the day without being fired, only because one of them was not as crazy and pulled his insane buddy off of me. I had forgotten my M65 magnum in my sister's car in my backpack. The .22 was a BUG. I was able to finally get out of there in the moving van

Age 28. Gas station.. really crazy guy was threatening a woman (stranger to him) at the pump, and as she left his attention turned to me. I got in the car, started it as I drew my 9MM BHP, put the car in drive just as he rushed the driver's door. The look was priceless as he stared down at the 9MM pointed at him, we were able to drive away

Yeah, Cali is real safe :s0131:

I would make other plans.

At best you take a gun, hope nothing happens, and spend the weekend at least slightly paranoid.
Or, you dont take a gun and spend the weekend hoping you didnt need it.

At worst, you get caught, get the gun confiscated, and spend time behind bars with an inmate named Zeke.

Worse is really needing it to save you or a loved one and not having it

I am no advocating ignorance... I know the laws... I am very educated, but the fact remains.. I am willing to risk the "possibility" of being charged with a misdemeanor in order to protect my children and pregnant wife. In general, I don't trust that the police will respond in a timely manor and there are just a lot nut cases out there.

I am no advocating ignorance... I know the laws... I am very educated, but the fact remains.. I am willing to risk the "possibility" of being charged with a misdemeanor in order to protect my children and pregnant wife. In general, I don't trust that the police will respond in a timely manor and there are just a lot nut cases out there.

You're also risking being taken from your family and leaving them stranded and totally unprotected from the nutcases and lackluster police force.

I hope you're risking your family and your freedom for something worthwhile. Not just a trip to the beach.

Which is why I avoid places that forbid me from carrying the means to defend myself and loved ones.

They have cheap booze and it's available at safeway, Other than that, California has no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Nice beaches, rivers and mountains but not nice enough for us to stay there

I would take a sharp left at the Oregon border.

now that is funny, because if you are talking about the boarder with California, that is what happens when you cross into Ca.

I just left CA after living there since 1992, and never had a reason to need a gun, never experience any violence or threats of any kind. It all depends on where you are and who you hang out with, remember the first rule of a gun fight, if you think you are going to one, don't go......

now that is funny, because if you are talking about the boarder with California, that is what happens when you cross into Ca.

I just left CA after living there since 1992, and never had a reason to need a gun, never experience any violence or threats of any kind. It all depends on where you are and who you hang out with, remember the first rule of a gun fight, if you think you are going to one, don't go......

Today when I get in my car.... I just wont drive down the road where I might get in an accident... really!!!

Today when I get in my car.... I just wont drive down the road where I might get in an accident... really!!!

exactly, don't drive down one way streets the wrong way, don't do 100 mph on the highway, don't run red lights, look both ways when crossing the street, walk facing traffic, there are lots of things you do everyday to avoid getting into an accident. Don't go into neighborhoods known for car jacking and gang related activity, don't go hanging out in parking lots at 2am, don't go where there is known drug issues, be well behaved and don't provoke people, don't go flashing wads of cash, there are lots of things you can do to avoid a gun fight or a confrontation.

My wife used to give me the fish-eye when she detected that I was carrying. One day I told her that she was right - I'll leave it home and just take it with me when I'll need it. I watched as that worked it's way through her brain and the light came on. She has never given me the funny look again.

agreed, but you make it sound like innocent people do not get caught up in bad things. Remember that the next time someone runs into head on while driving to get your kids from school, remember that next time you are in Anaheim visiting Disneyland and some Psycho tries to rob you are your hotel with a gun and decides you are a witness.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top