JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tomorrow morning the wife and I are traveling to Kalifornia for the weekend. As you all should know, guns and using them for personal protection is frowned upon in that state.

I know what I'm doing, but what would you do?

I assume you are driving since you did not mention your mode of transportation. My wife, kids and I drove down there a couple of weeks ago. I carried the entire time on my person. Frankly I value our lives more than their stupid laws. If you didn't feel comfortable carrying, you are allowed by Federal law to put in the trunk without ammo in it under the premise that you are traveling through.

Question viperjody,how do you protect your family from prison?

I would never think of taking guns to SoCal,never

Now I know some,ehhhem,someone who drove down there with and AR with 5 30 round mags,G20 and 4 14 round mags,and a bunch of other undesirables in mm,his 5th wheel.
Guess he wasn't too comfy on the trip.

No I always have a gun near by,but I do not have it loaded or would I sugest you have one loaded in your car.
Motorhome/RV? Maybe hidden good.(I know it defeats the purpose).But California doesn't seem like it would look highly on CC in there state.
I believe you can have it on you when stopped at an RV park or motel.

See when I go there,I have plenty of my sons friends to go places with.Nobody bothers us,as they look like a bunch of hoods.But they know where not to go also.

try this on for size.... 2 weeks i will be heading to dads (so cal... riverside county) to do some "reloading"... I will be taking down about 5k lead and primers and some empty brass.. no big deal... but on the return trip the back of my little sentra should be a little lower to the ground... IF i happen to get pulled over, and they inspect the trunk due to the sagging... how can i explain that and the 45 in the glove box????

I assume you are driving since you did not mention your mode of transportation. My wife, kids and I drove down there a couple of weeks ago. I carried the entire time on my person. Frankly I value our lives more than their stupid laws. If you didn't feel comfortable carrying, you are allowed by Federal law to put in the trunk without ammo in it under the premise that you are traveling through.

As long as you don't stop. There is one person in jail (not in CA though) that stopped for gas and to eat, the state said that by stopping he had violated the federal law and lost the immunity.

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

As long as you don't stop. There is one person in jail (not in CA though) that stopped for gas and to eat, the state said that by stopping he had violated the federal law and lost the immunity.

Oh really California... So I'm suppose to drive north to south on one tank of gas??? and bring snack lunches???? OMG that is just lame... Oh wait this is Cali.
Use the transporter. "Beam me up Scotty, this state sucks"
one of many reasons, after 40 some years, my parents just moved out...

Last Edited:
My kid is always asking when I'm coming back down and I say when y'all change your gun laws for the better.

He says he wants to leave,but the sun and all the girls just won't let him really try.

80* or close yesterday I guess.

In CA the courts have ruled that the cops can search any area within reach of the driver "for officer safety" however they have also ruled that the search of any area outside of driver reach in an RV or a 5th wheel are considered your "home" and require a warrant. I would (and do) take a firearm with me when I travel to CA - I would be sure said firearm is registered to me just in case. A friend had his guns inspected by a cop when he was pulled over (pickup truck) ran the numbers and his SIG wasn't registered to him - cop seized his guns to verify ownership. Fortunately he had bought the SIG from a family friend that happened to be the local SWAT commander so he got them back a few days later. I would hate to see how long it would have taken if he had bought it from John Q Public....
In CA make sure gun is locked in a case/compartment separate from ammo - I keep a locked gun case and a few loaded mags with extra ammo in a range bag - all out of sight to avoid any possible issues.
Remember - while most locations in CA frown on CCW, if you were caught CCW it is a "wobler" charge - if you don't have any weapons charges on your record it would most likely be charged as a misdemeanor (except in SF / bay area) provided no other CRIMINAL charges are being filed against you. A second time would get you the felony charge in most cases. Just something to keep in mind if you are sensing that you may be in danger...

My lady and I did this for 10 years before we escaped. Several times we had cause to draw and present arms, and the stories I could tell

Down there the bad guys are very bold

In CA the courts have ruled that the cops can search any area within reach of the driver "for officer safety" however they have also ruled that the search of any area outside of driver reach in an RV or a 5th wheel are considered your "home" and require a warrant. I would (and do) take a firearm with me when I travel to CA - I would be sure said firearm is registered to me just in case. A friend had his guns inspected by a cop when he was pulled over (pickup truck) ran the numbers and his SIG wasn't registered to him - cop seized his guns to verify ownership. Fortunately he had bought the SIG from a family friend that happened to be the local SWAT commander so he got them back a few days later. I would hate to see how long it would have taken if he had bought it from John Q Public....
In CA make sure gun is locked in a case/compartment separate from ammo - I keep a locked gun case and a few loaded mags with extra ammo in a range bag - all out of sight to avoid any possible issues.
Remember - while most locations in CA frown on CCW, if you were caught CCW it is a "wobler" charge - if you don't have any weapons charges on your record it would most likely be charged as a misdemeanor (except in SF / bay area) provided no other CRIMINAL charges are being filed against you. A second time would get you the felony charge in most cases. Just something to keep in mind if you are sensing that you may be in danger...

What is your life and the life and safety of your family worth?

I would go hard core to prison if required to protect my family, much less some hokey "carry" charge

Having just come from there 6 months ago, I would suggest you not carry concealed. Like several others here have said, if you want to take the weapon with you, lock it in a case, empty, separate from the ammo. It might be Federal law that it is ok, but the CHP and local LEO's could give a rip. And there is a tendency for the local population to become alarmed at someone possibly carrying, so more often than not, the cops are called. To start with, the charges could start with, carry of a concealed weapon without permit(CA permit), illegal tranport of a weapon, illegal transport of ammunition, and the list goes on. Any charge that is gun related gets amplified, a CA requirement, not an option. Now you might get stopped by a decent LEO but why take the chance.

Traveling with ammo and the car sagging, well, get better springs! But on a serious note, unless they stopped you for a violation of some kind, there is not anything that I know about that relates to transportation of ammo, ie, mass or amount. However, if you have your firearm in the same container, then you might have a problem.

Gun in the glove compartment, a big no no in CA.

your biggest risk is if you do not have 10 round mags, that would most likely trigger more problems...

unloaded in a locked case, I use a 5.11 soft case

Single Pistol case | Cases | 5.11 Tactical

combination lock, keep 2 out of three of the tumblers on the combination so you only rotate the one.

no need to separate ammo from gun, just don't have the gun loaded,

carrying is only a misdemeanor, so the consequences are not as bad as you think

read Calguns.net

Seriously!!!! I am sorry, but the risk far out weighed the value of protection for my family. I carried for 3 days in CA, from the Oregon border to SF, Anaheim, etc... My weapon was ultra concealed and the only reason I would ever present it was in a life or death situation, I would love to see you remove it from your locked box in that situation. Let me write the headline for you.

"Man and his family gunned down in robbery attempt, authorities say the victim had access to a locked gun, but could not get to it in time"

Why waste your time? I did not do anything to bring attention to myself, nor did I plan to commit any felonies... So why not carry... the risk far outweigh the benefits IMOP.

Having just come from there 6 months ago, I would suggest you not carry concealed. Like several others here have said, if you want to take the weapon with you, lock it in a case, empty, separate from the ammo. It might be Federal law that it is ok, but the CHP and local LEO's could give a rip. And there is a tendency for the local population to become alarmed at someone possibly carrying, so more often than not, the cops are called. To start with, the charges could start with, carry of a concealed weapon without permit(CA permit), illegal tranport of a weapon, illegal transport of ammunition, and the list goes on. Any charge that is gun related gets amplified, a CA requirement, not an option. Now you might get stopped by a decent LEO but why take the chance.

Traveling with ammo and the car sagging, well, get better springs! But on a serious note, unless they stopped you for a violation of some kind, there is not anything that I know about that relates to transportation of ammo, ie, mass or amount. However, if you have your firearm in the same container, then you might have a problem.

Gun in the glove compartment, a big no no in CA.

can't you carry in CA if you have a Utah Concealed License? That's probably the safest route to take...

I drove through cali on my way to and from vegas with an AR15 and called the PD before I went to see what my obligations were. I just had to dismantle the weapon and lock it in a suitcase stored in the trunk if I remember right. Wasn't a big deal. Did some shooting out in the Nevada desert too...good times

Rally: No, California does not recognize any other states concealed license.
Also, your AR sounds like it is a rifle. The transport of a rifle and hand gun are similar, there.

Viper: Yeah, seriously. For some reason a lot of you guys on here seem to think that in California, it is all big shoot outs and danger behind every corner. I lived there for most of my life, was in only a couple of situations(places) where I felt the hair go up on the back of my head, and I bugged out fast. But in general, I did not feel the need to carry, as much as I might have wanted to. I feel pretty much the same way up here, although, I do prefer the option of concealed carry. I guess it really depends upon where you go. I don't disagree with you about wanting to have the option of being able to defend yourself. However, as the OP asked, what should he do while traveling down there. The CA Law says one thing. I might not agree with it, but I am not going to tell him to break the law. It sounded as if he wanted information about how he could transport his firearm and ammo legally. Legally, it is locked in a case, unloaded, separate from the ammo. Do anything else, that is your business, but you can't come back at me and say, "But he said!"

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews