JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just reading another thread regarding traveling through California and did not want to drift it terribly, but I am wondering how those that have to travel through California do so. Do you believe better judged by 12 than carried by 6? Do you leave your weapons home? Empty Open Carry? Locked in a case? Or any other alternatives?

I've lived in kai all my life till I moved here last year. It is legal to transport a unloaded, locked firearm in your vehicle while traveling to a destination. Very few cc permits exist. If you want to bring a gun just make sure it's unloaded, in a locked container with the ammo in a separate locked container. While traveling to a destination does not mean the grocery store or an amusement park. If you are in route to your destination ie. hotel or place of residence, that is permissable. Also if your vehicle has a trunk, keep your gun there while traveling. It's supposed to be inaccessable to any body in the vehicle.

Anytime that I went on vacation or traveled somewhere far from home, I allways brought a gun. While driving, just don't do anything to draw attention to yourselves by chp and you'll be fine.

When I traveled down to Cali last summer to visit relatives, I read up on their laws and did carry the unloaded firearms in the trunk, in a locked container with ammo separate. (I'm sure all the perps do the same.) I did not like the feeling :s0131:. When arriving at the motel they of course were let free until the next morning,then back into Lockup. Strange laws in a strange land. The experience caused me to become even more of an activist to protect what 2nd Ammendment Rights we have left.

I bring my BTN gun Which spells out "Better Than Nuthin" Actually it it a pretty decent gun. It's an old Charter arms 44 special and she rides under the seat. If for some fluke I do get searched, it's legal and I won't cry to hard if it gets confiscated.

I drove a vanload of folks to central Calif last summer, most of them 16 or so. Brought my disposable el cheapo (S&W Sigma), al alone in its hard case, padlock and chain round the case and chained to the metal seat frame. Blue plastic box fit right in with the nearby smaller tool cases... not one of the kids ever had a clue what was in THAT box. I chained it for two reasons.. Calif is extra nazified on "children" coming into contact with arms, so I thought being chained would limit that possibility. Also, with kids in and out of the side doors, being chained meant it could not get accidentally knocked out of the van. Ammo was in a separate place.. a non-descript cardboard carton with ammo for that and another gun. That second piece was in yet another box, padlocked, but in another cardboard box. I kept careful track of it all, watching to make sure it didn't get displaced, and so I'd always know where it all was. I'd also assessed the passengers and figured out who would instantly and unquestioningly follow clear verbal instructions as to location of second key, what boxes to get, open, etc. Of course, all these stupid laws mitigate strongly against being able to practically USE the piece should a situation arise warranting it. At least, a fast-breaking situation such as Benny had, would be a lost cause.

From what I understand, California make it impossible for non-residents to get CW permits, and near impossible for residents. I know a guy, resident of Berkeley, a Private Investigator certified and registered with the State of California, clean record, no issues.. and HE cannot get a CC permit. If he can't who the heck can, except retired cops and a few good buddies of some in power? When will those clowns wake up and throw off their oppressors?

I have my firearms in my luggage and the magazines in a corner of the trunk. You just have to keep in mind where the mags and the gun locate.

Benny, Your incident is what got me thinking about this. I'm glad everything turned out OK. Do you use some sort of quick open case? I don't think I would be able to get my weapon out of my current case and loaded before I had my *** handed to me in that kind of incident.

Nope I use just regular suite case and once I open the top of the suite case the firearm is right there. I even showed that to at least 4 difference CA officers where I had my guns and my mags. The mags outside the suite case and it right on the right hand left hand side of my car where use for holding stuff. As long as you can easily access and still under the law then it should be OK. I never have my gun locked up unless on the plane.

In California you have to keep the handgun locked in a container with ammo separated (loaded mag is OK but not loaded firearm) as another member replied ...to and from the destination or range...

And also be aware of what longguns...many semi auto "assault rifles" are banned by name and feature (detachable mags and pistol grip) ....so no AR's, AK's, FAL's etc unless they are registered to the owner in CA or made to comply with CA law

www.calguns.net is a very good place to get CA info

I bring my BTN gun Which spells out "Better Than Nuthin" Actually it it a pretty decent gun. It's an old Charter arms 44 special and she rides under the seat. If for some fluke I do get searched, it's legal and I won't cry to hard if it gets confiscated.

But it is legal to keep her loaded and in an unlocked location in california?

Another question along the same vein is ...what about legality in California of a handgun magazine with over 10 round capacity?

I would presume it would be OK to have it (higher capacity mag), but not OK to have it inserted into the handgun at any time while in the state? :confused:

My question: several of you mentioned carrying ammo in a separate locked container. So, is ammo required to be in a separate locked container or simply separated from the gun (which is in its own locked container)?

Nope I use just regular suite case and once I open the top of the suite case the firearm is right there. I even showed that to at least 4 difference CA officers where I had my guns and my mags. The mags outside the suite case and it right on the right hand left hand side of my car where use for holding stuff. As long as you can easily access and still under the law then it should be OK. I never have my gun locked up unless on the plane.

I forgot if it is in the trunk you do not need to lock it up, none of my previous cars had a trunk, so I always had to lock it up.

Another question along the same vein is ...what about legality in California of a handgun magazine with over 10 round capacity?

I would presume it would be OK to have it (higher capacity mag), but not OK to have it inserted into the handgun at any time while in the state? :confused:

I've always just used 10 round mags to avoid any problems.

My question: several of you mentioned carrying ammo in a separate locked container. So, is ammo required to be in a separate locked container or simply separated from the gun (which is in its own locked container)?

Not required last time I checked, but sometimes you just get in the habit of locking things in boxes.

so, I know certain guns are on the list of "Californians cannot BUY them" (Mother May I... NO!!!) but, how about someone who already owns one on the "you can't buy it" list.. or someone travelling through that state in a car?

Seems Calif cannot preempt federal regs and make me leave my AR home, or my fifteen round mags, or surrender them at the border, or, any other crazy thing. Seems if it is legal under Federal law for me to own it here in Washington, and I am not in Calif to sell it, I can carry it through that state. My understanding is their magic Mother May I list designates which guns may/may not be bought after that law/list was passed.. which I think was 2008 or so.

I'd hate to think I have to check their list of legal to buy guns and only bring guns and accessories that are on it. Seems they should not be able to restrict interstate commerce by dictating what a non-resident can/cannot have in possession.

Anyone got clarification on this> I'd hate to have some overzealous copper with a burr under his saddleblanket find my Hi Powewr with a 13 round mag in it, and confiscate it... or my FN AR...... with a 30 round mag. BOTH are on the "you can't buy it here" list.

But, they already think the COnstitution is abrogated at the border.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top