JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son is going to be driving through Idaho and Utah and he would like to know what both states laws say about traveling with a handgun. He does not have his Oregon CHL yet (waiting on the Mail)

Any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

There is no reciprocity between Oregon and other states, so an Oregon CHL won't matter, except while in Oregon.

This might help.

NRA-ILA | State Laws

NRA-ILA | State Laws

Sorry, but your wrong Taku.

Oregon doesn't recognize other states permits but that does NOT mean other states don't recognize Oregon's permit. In this case, both Idaho and Utah recognize an Oregon CHL. So do 17 other states.

Sorry, but your wrong Taku.

Oregon doesn't recognize other states permits but that does NOT mean other states don't recognize Oregon's permit. In this case, both Idaho and Utah recognize an Oregon CHL. So do 17 other states.

They didnt use to.
Good.
If you have a link to which states do put it up.
That would be good to know.
Washington doesn't unless that changed too.

Call the state attorney general, go to their state website or call a sheriff in that state. Record who you speak with and their answers.

What someone said on a web forum doesn't help you in front of a judge.

Both states allow open carry if he wants to carry as opposed to just transport a pistol.

It's worth noting Utah has an interesting restriction on loaded carry. From what I saw it meant that it would take two actions to fire. So you would need to rack the slide on a semi-auto or keep an empty cylinder in a revolver. <broken link removed>
open carry unloaded in utah

I didn't find a whole lot on Idaho. Prohibitions in schools, courts, etc. <broken link removed>

I said my son does not have a permit he is waiting on it. I gave that info so the answers we got would not consider him having a permit.

I have since found the correct answers thanks for the help

OH and thanks Drew for actual worthwhile information

Enlighten us, please. Thanks

For Idaho
Gun laws in Idaho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Idaho | OpenCarry.org

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
18-3302
(9) While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled or unloaded.
Note: Must be in Plain View

For Utah

Utah | OpenCarry.org

Utah | OpenCarry.org

Interesting. I thought RVs were considered a home in most states and subject to laws that apply to non-mobile houses.

Usually only when parked and hooked up to utilities, otherwise they are considered movable vehicles just like a car.

Been Rv'ing since 1957 so I do have some, but not infallible info. Just like anything to do with laws it's up to the LEO or court to decide.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

When will he be traveling? If possible first Get a UT permit.

If you are traveling across this country, it is a good idea to check on the local laws as you go. Some require the firearm locked up. Some that might mean the glove box, for others the trunk. Some require the gun to be separate from the ammo that is in a different locked box.

And whatever you do, should you realize you screwed up, do not talk to the police, or anyone else from the government. Keep quiet, and do the right thing - even if less than lawful.

For those in RVs - keep in mind that terms like Open Container and Dry County and get you too. I am sure there must be resources available for that lifestyle.

Interesting stuff.
Last time I looked into the reciprocity thing, Oregon was pretty much in denial with all other states. I was not aware that some states might accept Oregons now.
Reason I have not followed it, is
We just don't travel outside the state anymore. The only time we even step foot in WA is to stop at a fuel dock on the Columbia.
As for other states, Been there, didn't care for any of them, and still trying to see all of my own state. I pretty much keep my money right here. I could spend my whole life in the Oregon Cascades and never want for anything else.

When will he be traveling? If possible first Get a UT permit.

If you are traveling across this country, it is a good idea to check on the local laws as you go. Some require the firearm locked up. Some that might mean the glove box, for others the trunk. Some require the gun to be separate from the ammo that is in a different locked box.

And whatever you do, should you realize you screwed up, do not talk to the police, or anyone else from the government. Keep quiet, and do the right thing - even if less than lawful.

For those in RVs - keep in mind that terms like Open Container and Dry County and get you too. I am sure there must be resources available for that lifestyle.

He's been in Utah since Sunday evening. if you read the thread you will see we did investigate the state laws in Idaho and Utah (the only two states beside Oregon he would be traveling through. He is traveling in compliance with both states laws.

I have two safes in the MH, plus locked storage bays underneath. One safe is a one gun handgun safe, right beside the drivers seat, can be opened with one adult hand when unlocked, childs hand won't do it. It's bolted to the floor so it's pretty permanent. When traveling in WA and OR (have permits for both) I keep one Kimber on me and one in that safe and a Win 1300 and maybe a KT SU-16C in the bedroom.
With the latest laws in CA I'm not sure what we'll do if we ever go there to visit friends in Fresno like we did last year.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top