JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My family will be moving to Arizona at the end of the month and maybe some of you could point me in the right direction for information regarding California law's. I'm familiar with unloading and locking the firearm up but I have a standard capacity m&p9 that is too much freedom for California.

I'd rather cut across Oregon and then down through Nevada but the wife requested I take the worst way possible so as to complicate things.

I don't want to pull over at a weight station and have any issues.

Another alternative to your dilemma would be to send the 15 round magazines to Arizona via UPS or FedEx if you did not wan to bother disassembling them during your time in California.

My family will be moving to Arizona at the end of the month and maybe some of you could point me in the right direction for information regarding California law's. I'm familiar with unloading and locking the firearm up but I have a standard capacity m&p9 that is too much freedom for California.

I'd rather cut across Oregon and then down through Nevada but the wife requested I take the worst way possible so as to complicate things.

I don't want to pull over at a weight station and have any issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

As long as the weapn and ammunition are in a locked container not "readily accessible" to any occupants of the vehicle, you can transport a gun and ammunition through ANY state, as long AS:

You are legally allowed to possess the weapon(s) and ammunition at your start point and final destination.

This is VERY long settled federal law. Be careful of NYC, because they don't care. Be CAUTIOUS in Chicago and NJ. California? I wouldn't even blink. The people may be insane. The cops? Not so much. Go, enjoy, have fun. Just keep them locked up in Cali.

ETA: Yes, this includes your magazines

I have only driven from Oregon to California once and carried on my body, was not concerned as I was with a detail that included LEO for security at a wedding (that was a story in and of itself).

In normal situations that had me drive to California I would simply place my firearms into my trunk safe and if there was a need for more would make that decision dependent of the need.

Things to consider, what reason would there be to be stopped? If you are a driver that keeps close to the speed limit for instance the chances of being pulled over is not high percent.

As long as the weapn and ammunition are in a locked container not "readily accessible" to any occupants of the vehicle, you can transport a gun and ammunition through ANY state, as long AS:
You are legally allowed to possess the weapon(s) and ammunition at your start point and final destination.

Just make sure you are "just passing through". Don't stop at aunt Edna's in Redding for a couple of days
to visit. Do not go the Arizona via Disneyland. If you do, a prosecutor can try to make the case that
you are not transiting the state--but visiting. And having illegal guns in your possession while visiting
might be trouble, no matter how well they are locked up.

Things to consider, what reason would there be to be stopped? If you are a driver that keeps close to the speed limit for instance the chances of being pulled over is not high percent.

It's more than the risk of being stopped. I know it's easy to say to yourself, "I'm only going from here to there, what could happen?" Well, you could get in a wreck too. If you are in an accident on the highway and your car is towed, it will be inventoried by the Highway Patrol. Any unlocked firearm they find in the vehicle will result in charges being filed for carrying a concealed weapon. If that firearm is not "registered" to you, the charge is required to be filed as a felony instead of a misdemeanor!

I'm not writing to criticize any particular individual here, rather I just want to point out how important it is to be sure you are playing by the rules when transporting a firearm in California. Many, not all but many California cops and District Attorneys have the same anti-gun bias that the California legislature has.

Yes, the risk of getting stopped or in a wreck may still be low, but the consequences of winding up in trouble with an improperly stored firearm can be more than one would want to endure.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

We're going to be headed for Phoenix soon and I'm considering going through Nevada rather than down I-5 like usual, but, on the way back we'll go to Fresno to visit friends for a few days so I can't take several of my weapons.
I got lots of good info at the Calguns site

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

This is VERY long settled federal law. Be careful of NYC, because they don't care. Be CAUTIOUS in Chicago and NJ. California? I wouldn't even blink. The people may be insane. The cops? Not so much. Go, enjoy, have fun. Just keep them locked up in Cali.

And several states ignore the Federal law and arrest you anyway. Then it's up to your attorney$$$ to get you off. Some (or at least one) even considers just stopping for fuel or food to be a "stay"

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

From my limited understanding if I go through California I have to stop at weigh stations along the way with a moving truck. Which adds more time I have to be driving to boot. I don't have family there but I will have to stop for a night to sleep. It will just be myself driving.

Just make sure you are "just passing through". Don't stop at aunt Edna's in Redding for a couple of days
to visit. Do not go the Arizona via Disneyland. If you do, a prosecutor can try to make the case that you are not transiting the state--but visiting. And having illegal guns in your possession while visiting might be trouble, no matter how well they are locked up.

This ^^

I had a trunk full of guns when I drove my parents car from NV back to Oregon for them, along with some of their stuff, especially the guns.

Just lock them up out of reach (in the trunk, or if a moving van or truck or trailer, deep in the household goods), unloaded/etc., and you should be fine as far as the law goes. I have not heard of Calif. being particularly anal about this issue like a few states back east (NY), I don't think they even ask about it - but I haven't been down there in over a decade.

Also, don't volunteer anything about the fact that you have firearms with you, and tell your wife not to either, just to preclude any issues.

I once lived in Calif. Still a life member of CRPA.
Beginning in 1983, selected guns were "proscribed" by "Roberti-Roos".
Registration became mandatory. Several of my collection were listed as "Assault Weapons".
The state mandated registration, with a cutoff date. If your registration wasn't completed by cutoff, you became a felon. There have been a lot of addendums to their gun laws.
If your assault or proscribed weapon is unregistered, post 11 by dean_ad can become a waking nightmare.
Included in their laws are proscribed magazines and parts. Some that were legal then became illegal.
Cali DOJ
I choose to never travel or reside in Cali with firearms, yup, scared shootless of them bubblegums.

I once lived in Calif. Still a life member of CRPA.
Beginning in 1983, selected guns were "proscribed" by "Roberti-Roos".
Registration became mandatory. Several of my collection were listed as "Assault Weapons".
The state mandated registration, with a cutoff date. If your registration wasn't completed by cutoff, you became a felon. There have been a lot of addendums to their gun laws.
If your assault or proscribed weapon is unregistered, post 11 by dean_ad can become a waking nightmare.
Included in their laws are proscribed magazines and parts. Some that were legal then became illegal.
Cali DOJ
I choose to never travel or reside in Cali with firearms, yup, scared shootless of them bubblegums.
This created thee largest act of civil disobedience in US history.
CA estimated there was 2.5 million 'assault' weapons in the state and only 250k people registered theirs.

To keep the Ca SP out of your truck,just declare you don't have any fruit or veggies.That's all they care about on the civilian side.The commercial side gets the rubber glove treatment.Just make sure you don't look commercial.
Now if you are in Nevada,North Las Vegas? has some 'dangerous weapon ' law that you can not transport any weapons thru their burg. Nobody. Please check for your self on this.I read it on one of the CC sites

If the gun is locked away, but not legal in California, and there was an accident, would it be a felony simply because the gun was not on the DOJ legal list ?

Again, FOPA does protect you. You can take any gun that's legal where you live and legal where you are moving to through ANY jurisdiction.

No, the California Hwy Patrol does not randomly search moving trucks. No, if you're in an accident, they aren't going to check inside your locked container to see if your guns are on the "no-no" list etc.

NYC and NJ in particular have been known to give people grief, but not for driving through the state. the instances I've read about have all involved flying to a destination and having a problem with the flight where the owner had to retrieve his luggage in order to catch another flight/train in an airport in those states.

I have transported guns through NYC, through Chicago. No, you do not have to stop at weigh stations in a Uhaul truck.

There's a lot of unnecessary paranoia going on in this thread. I've never even heard of someone driving a moving truck with guns in it hassled in any way. Obviously never volunteer that you have guns in the truck, and I wouldn't suggest giving the inspection station at the Cali border any grief, but even then, you're covered under FOPA.

I've done x-country moves with guns a couple of times now. It's just not an issue. If you will feel better, print out a copy of FOPA, highlight the relevant section and put it in the glove box of the truck.

Enjoy your new home in AZ.:)

I recently moved here from SoCal.

DO NOT, DO NOT, take any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, even disassembled.

Yes, California did make importation of 10+ mags a felony, even as parts kits.

Your M&P is fine, even new residents have a 30 day period to register hand guns that are not on the "safe handgun roster."

I am assuming your gun does not have a threaded barrel. That would be a felony as well.

Handguns must be in a locked container. A car trunk counts as a locked container. A glove box, regardless of lock does not count.

Ammo may be loaded into mags, as long as mags are less than 10, and not in the gun, it's technically not illegal to have the loaded mags in the same locked container as the gun, but the wrong cop could jam you up. Not every cop knows the gun laws.

The federal law about safe transport may protect you, but it will cost you a lawyer at least.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top