JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So we may be visiting with new fun, funky friends from Yreka, which would necessitate trips to said locale in occupied territory. I know our CHLs means nothing there — totally legal on this side, felony on that side; ah, land of the free. Be that as it may, my question is we normally have a bug out bag (in addition to more mundane luggage) when traveling overnight. I'd like to have a handgun (say a big-bore, 6-shot, revolver, and cartridges) with said.

What is the legal protocol here? Locked in a container, ammunition separate, in the trunk is the last I read. Any new information or specifics would be help. We're looking to just have some fun and avoid being stuffed into a reeducation camp. ;)

So have your new funky friends head north for hangouts. Nothing good can come from crossing the southern border.

@CountryGent as you stated:
Locked in a container, ammunition separate, in the trunk is the last I read. Any new information or specifics would be help. We're looking to just have some fun and avoid being stuffed into a reeducation camp. ;)

is exactly correct. I lived in CA for the first 50 yrs of my life, and sadly, still head down there to visit family. It always feels like I'm entering "occupied territory" when I stop to "lock up" my firearms and ammo. Infringement? Certainly not :mad:

Rodge-dodger. Good to hear that is still the case. I just received a private message, on that site, from our friends and they are hip to Medford as a meeting point. Much preferred, at least for us; less travel and significantly less Stalinism.

Parenthetically, any reason why a 9+1 shot Desert Eagle wouldn't be kosher down that way? (I know anything 10+ is verboten in the "Golden state", but this one ain't.)

deaglesleeze.jpg

Ammo does NOT need to be in a separate locked container. It can be in the same container and even loaded in a magazine. But the mag can't be inserted into the magwell. For a revolver it could be in a speed loader, just not in the cylinder.

The below is from the FAQ section of the California Highway Patrol's website if you don't believe me.

Now...just because this is the law, doesn't mean you will actually get a cop that knows it. Many of them don't. If you really want to avoid a possible hassle, keep the ammo separate. There's no law that say ammo has to be Locked. So you could keep it in your center console or something. Make sure you keep your gun out of the center console and out of the glovebox. That's a no/no.

Also remember, no mags over 10 rounds.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

FAQ

I say why risk it? I have friends..and none worth THAT trip.

I'm sure my previous statement raises questions on its validity. :)

Just saying.

If pulled over do not consent to a search and do not divulge that you have a firearm. Maybe buy a Bernie Sanders car magnet so you can go stealthily.

So we may be visiting with new fun, funky friends from Yreka, which would necessitate trips to said locale in occupied territory. I know our CHLs means nothing there — totally legal on this side, felony on that side; ah, land of the free. Be that as it may, my question is we normally have a bug out bag (in addition to more mundane luggage) when traveling overnight. I'd like to have a handgun (say a big-bore, 6-shot, revolver, and cartridges) with said.

What is the legal protocol here? Locked in a container, ammunition separate, in the trunk is the last I read. Any new information or specifics would be help. We're looking to just have some fun and avoid being stuffed into a reeducation camp. ;)
Here's a link to CA's Attn. General. It gives the basics.
The things to pay close attention to are no handgun can be stored in a consol or glove box. [ even if they are locked.] If an officer asks to inspect your locked and stored handgun to see that it is unloaded you are required to give them access. I have only heard of them doing this in San Francisco, but it is there.
Your hotel, motel RV or campsite are considered your domicile and you are allowed a loaded gun there. [ unless they are in a restricted area.]
Yreka is pretty gun friendly. but its still part of CA.
On another note I recently drove through Yreka and saw more homeless dragging filthy sleeping bags than I have ever seen before. Maybe I was there just as they were waking up, but keep your eyes open. Good Luck DR

Sorry I missed the link

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads