JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As title states, I am traveling to Idaho next weekend for a funeral/death in the family situation. Simply put- we aren't checking any bags for the trip so I won't be traveling with my gun. Legally I can send my gun to myself (in care of). I am hoping to find a shop in the Hayden Lake area that would be willing to accept it? And then I will pay to have it shipped back. No funny business here, I'm a licensed CCW holder in AZ which has reciprocity with ID.

Any help appreciated.

You're going to get whacked on shipping. UPS and FedEx require overnight shipping. You're not an FFL, so USPS is out. Why not spend $30 on a checked bag?

Idaho is a constitutional carry state, isn't Arizona as well?

Checked bag is $25 I believe, plus the hassle. Cost in this case is roughly the same. Simpler for me to ship a gun (could even use my local shop) to ship it to a place up there. I'll call some shops on Monday and see if they are willing, just thought I would shoot a dart on this forum too.

Yes AZ is constitutional carry as well. Just figured my CCW would lend some credence to a somewhat unusual situation/request on my part. Too bad I can't just "rent" a ccw pistol for a couple of days.

Checked bag is $25 I believe, plus the hassle. Cost in this case is roughly the same. Simpler for me to ship a gun (could even use my local shop) to ship it to a place up there. I'll call some shops on Monday and see if they are willing, just thought I would shoot a dart on this forum too.

Yes AZ is constitutional carry as well. Just figured my CCW would lend some credence to a somewhat unusual situation/request on my part. Too bad I can't just "rent" a ccw pistol for a couple of days.
Shipping without an FFL will cost you around $100 one way. Shipping with an FFL may be difficult, they are adding your firearm to their registry. I think you'll need an FFL BGC on the receiving end, and I'm not sure you can do that as a resident of another state even though it is legally yours.

Just throwing out some info on the option of flying with a checked gun. It's really not that difficult or much of a hassle if you do it correctly. I've flown out of PHX more than a dozen times, no experience with Spokane, presuming you are flying into there. Feel free to message me if you would like some details. I have about 150 flights in the past six years with firearms at likely 25+ airports.

Hello,

Condolences to you when it comes to a funeral with your family member.

I do not understand why you could not be without your firearm in Idaho for only a few days for a funeral.

You are FLYING with NO gun and not driving with a gun in your vehicle to Idaho.

Flying anywhere now in the USA (Overseas too!) is a nightmare with ALL of the CURRENT cancellations and extra rules too. THIS mess is still going on NOW with the holidays and 'flu' crapola.

Yes, I do understand that bad things can happen in any state or place too.

Buy a KNIFE when you get to Idaho if you are NOT checking a bag with a gun or a knife inside of it with the airline and only taking a carry on bag.

LOTS of people nationwide live just fine without a conceal carry or open carry firearm on their body 24/7.

This is only a suggestion and I mean NO offense to you or any other member here when I say this too.

I know that many business people and other travelers BUY a LEGAL length knife at their destination due to gun LAWS in other states. They fly or drive but they still want to have something for protection on them in those states.

IDAHO is a friendly gun and knife state as you know.

Take care and have a safe trip.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate
Typo

Thanks for the input all. I am aware of the ATF rule that I can ship the gun to myself in care of someone until I get it, but I literally don't know a soul in the Hayden Lake area. Long story short- the person that passed was my wifes biological dad, but he moved up there when she and her sisters were young and he doesn't have any family up there. It's an odd situation.

I have been told countless times flying with a gun isn't that bad, I'm still tempted to try it. Just wasn't planning on checking a bag so I wasn't going to go down that route. In any case I'll consider my options with yall's input. Thanks again.

Sorry for the conditions as to why you are traveling. Welcome to the forum. The brain trust here provides some great resources. Knowing you are from AZ, not sure if you are on Southwest Firearms but another local info source for you as well.

Condolences on the reason for the trip.

As mentioned, check it.

Even though you are not wanting to check a bag, all things considered, it would LIKELY be the easiest & least expensive. Compared with any shipping. Consider time at FFL before you come back, vs extra time at the airport.

No big deal, just allow for extra time in case counter folks you get are not familiar. Also provided you already have an appropriate TSA approved locking case to put in your bag. We use keyed handgun lock boxes with the cable, and wrap the cable around the checked bag frame (expandable carry on type bags with frame access).

MAYBE "ship my gun", if they are still around (never used them, so can't speak to how it would really work).

Just throwing out some info on the option of flying with a checked gun. It's really not that difficult or much of a hassle if you do it correctly. I've flown out of PHX more than a dozen times, no experience with Spokane, presuming you are flying into there. Feel free to message me if you would like some details. I have about 150 flights in the past six years with firearms at likely 25+ airports.
This ^
Visit the airlines' website, as they all have slightly different procedures for checking a gun.

Remembering one such trip when I was checking in a gun, the agent says the FAA requires I use this label, but it doesn't say it has to go on the outside while she is putting the label inside before closing/locking the case.
I use a roll-around suitcase with a hard sided pistol case inside, cable locked to the roll-around cases' internal frame/handle.

You cannot have ammo in the same case so count on buying some at your destination and giving it away prior to your return flight.
jmo,

Last Edited:
You cannot have ammo in the same case so count on buying some at your destination and giving it away prior to your return flight.
Check with your airline but I always have ammo in the same case as my gun, 150+ flights now. It cannot be loose, and some airlines / TSA agents have issues with loaded magazines (even though rules over the years have said this is allowed if the magazine is packaged properly). I never fly with loaded mags to avoid this.

Great advice @Tilos on the cable lock to the internals. Not required, but I also cable lock my guns. One more layer to prevent my guns from shooting up an airport.

Current TSA website:
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.

Check with your airline but I always have ammo in the same case as my gun, 150+ flights now. It cannot be loose, and some airlines / TSA agents have issues with loaded magazines (even though rules over the years have said this is allowed if the magazine is packaged properly). I never fly with loaded mags to avoid this.

Great advice @Tilos on the cable lock to the internals. Not required, but I also cable lock my guns. One more layer to prevent my guns from shooting up an airport.

Current TSA website:
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
Good to know about the ammo
It's been a while since I have checked any guns.
One thing I remember is when I went to baggage claim to pick up my gun/luggage there was always a "baggage or TSA" agent hovering around, not normally there.
But I still opened my baggage far enough to confirm my gun(s) were still in there, and not replaced with a brick.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top