JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about touring some forest roads in my 2006 corolla. I use to collect firewood out in the coast range area off HWY26 years ago when I had a truck. Are most of these roads passable, these days, in my stock corolla? Any roads I should avoid? What equipment would you bring if you were going out in a corolla this time of year?

I took my corolla up to the shooting area off wolf creek for a clean up one year and while wolf creek rd was fine, the road leading up to the shooting area was a little dicey. I did make it up there though.

Will any of the forest roads take you all the way to Hwy 101, or get you close enough to see the ocean? Any other good viewing areas up there?

I just got a 2021 hybrid. Love the MPG as it's a rare day I get under 60mpg. Last 2 tanks were 63 and 65mpg, so I tend to want to drive it. However, I hate the ground clearance. Last weekend we went to pick some Whelks, Barnacles and muscles for a nosh at short beach. I pulled onto the gravel shoulder of the paved road and grounded out. That sound of an undercarriage scraping rocks is not something I want to duplicate.

Part of adventuring is finding out stuff by yourself. Get a BLM/Forest service map and go. I drive a 3/4 ton 4X4 and am retired from Coos Bay BLM so know lots of roads. That being said roads that were brush cut last year I might not drive down because I don't want to scratch up my truck. Your Toyota might fit just fine or maybe all ready has a dent or scratches. If I had a Toyota car and wanted to go to the coast I'd stick to at least secondary paved roads but that's just me.

Back in the day, I used to drive Forest Service Roads in a Volkswagen. I never got stuck, but wore out some parts of the undercarriage. Those were not cheap repairs.

I can't speak for Corollas, but my 4-door VW was not meant for Forest Service Roads (it was not, after all, a Kubelwagen).

If I were you, I'll bring along a traction mat like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CCP5CX...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Plus a shovel and a chainsaw if you have one. I bought a EGO electric chainsaw recently, runs on battery and is pretty powerful, I put it in my vehicle whenever I'm out exploring.

If you have one of those portable tire inflator, I'll bring one along too in case you have to deflate the tires to get better traction.

More than anything else, I'll also check the tires and make sure they're in good conditions. Don't forget to check the spare tire too.

I am thinking about touring some forest roads in my 2006 corolla. I use to collect firewood out in the coast range area off HWY26 years ago when I had a truck. Are most of these roads passable, these days, in my stock corolla? Any roads I should avoid? What equipment would you bring if you were going out in a corolla this time of year?

I took my corolla up to the shooting area off wolf creek for a clean up one year and while wolf creek rd was fine, the road leading up to the shooting area was a little dicey. I did make it up there though.

Will any of the forest roads take you all the way to Hwy 101, or get you close enough to see the ocean? Any other good viewing areas up there?
I'm not familiar enough with off 26, but I've done hundreds of miles in the last 37 years in The Tillamook south of HWY 6. The most miles originating from the summit of 6 all out and around and back to hwy6 on Ben Smith Creek Rd. I've never done it but there has, in the past, been routes on logging rds from hwy6 from about Jordan Creek Rd over to the No fork Trask Rd which is paved and will get you into Tillamook. Most times we drive Beaver Dam rd to C-line to Lyda down past the No Fork prison camp and back out to 6. These are all doable in your Honda.

Carry a full size spare. As suggested above, a tire inflator is a good idea. Don't forget some food, water and a roll of TP (unless you can find a rabbit, just ask any bear). And oh yes, a shovel.

I have done it dang near border to border in a 1984 Mercedes 240 D ( Der Panzerwagon ) with the only problem being a punctured tire! some stretches were much better maintained then others, depending on the logging activity, some will have very coarse rock, and some can be damn near over grown, and full of pot holes! It's also going to depend on how many off road rigs have been ripping around on those roads chewing them up!

Used to to that with my dad back in the day..I dont think he ever found a back road he did not like.. the more remote and unmarked the better :)

though be far better to be cruising down the forest in your six fo..

id post the video but its very NSFW and might be bad for all the young folks here.. but if you grew up in the 90's you know what i am talking about.

Wolf Creek isn't all that bad if you keep your speed low and pay attention to the giant craters in the road. That said I'm pretty sure most of the other forest service roads will be in similar condition... I've never needed 4wd to go on any of them. I only have needed it when I strayed too far off the beaten path.

P.S. If I was taking an 06 'rolla on those kinds of roads, I'd probably bring things that don't make me look like a meth head... lol...

-Robert

Old days, it wasn't unusual to use tire chains for traction on muddy roads. Wonder if any of the current tire chains offerings would be of any help on mixture of gravel and mud?
Yes, and you can still buy actual chains. I have an illegal set of "Ice Breakers" from the 70's that have the cleats welded across the links, and I carry them in what ever rig I'm using for off roading, usually my Jeep. They are sized to fit a 33X12.50x15, and can be snuggled up to fit 30's with out issue, they will not fit 35's though!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top