JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In an effort to save money, I called my AAA insurance agent today to see how much money I'd save on by switching from State Farm renters insurance (which I shopped for and purchased independently) to Travelers (who I have my auto insurance with, purchased through AAA). I was telling them about my situation, coverages and deductibles, etc. when the topic of firearms came up and I explained that I'll need extra coverage for my collection. The agent asked me about the type of firearms, specifically if I owned any "pistols, shotguns, or assault rifles". I knew right away there was going to be a problem :angry:

I told her all of the above and gave her an estimate of the value, then waited for her to call back with confirmation of whether or not they have a policy against insuring 'assault rifles'. As I was on the phone with a client she called and left a message saying that Travelers will not insure 'assault weapons'. At this point I was rather upset, and decided to confirm this with Travelers themselves.

I called Travelers and spoke with an agent.

Him: Thank you for calling Travelers, may I help you?

Me: Yes, I just spoke with my AAA agent through whom I purchase my Travelers auto insurance. I was hoping to switch to you guys for my renters insurance as well, but she informed me there are limitations as to what types of firearms you're willing to insure.

Him: That could be true, let me check my documentation and get and answer for you. Please hold for a second.

<puts me on hold>

Him: I can't seem to find anything in here stating specific types or models, what type of firearm are you trying to insure?

Me: The AR15's in my collection seem to be the ones the agent said you wouldn't insure.

Him: Ok, now are those assault rifles?

Me: What's an assault rifle? Assault is an action, not a type of object. Do you have a list of types or models of rifles you won't insure?

Him: Well no, all this says is assault rifle here. I agree with you though, I have no idea what they consider an assault rifle. Are they fully automatic or semi automatic?

Me: They're semi-automatic.

Him: Ok, let me go check with our underwriters.

<puts me on hold>

Him: Yeah, that's something they're not willing to insure.

Me. Ok, thanks.

Now I'm not only shopping for renters insurance, but auto insurance as well. If any of you have Travelers or do business with any other company that chooses to discriminate against us for our lawful activities, I urge you to vote with your dollars and find alternatives.

In an effort to save money, I called my AAA insurance agent today to see how much money I'd save on by switching from State Farm renters insurance (which I shopped for and purchased independently) to Travelers (who I have my auto insurance with, purchased through AAA). I was telling them about my situation, coverages and deductibles, etc. when the topic of firearms came up and I explained that I'll need extra coverage for my collection. The agent asked me about the type of firearms, specifically if I owned any "pistols, shotguns, or assault rifles". I knew right away there was going to be a problem :angry

Does State Farm cover 'assault rifles'? I'd be interested to know. I'm not fortunate enough to own any of those evil:angry: gun YET. But someday.....:s0087:

When I got the added State Farm coverage they didn't ask me any specifics except estimated value of the collection. I sure wish their auto insurance was cheaper for me :(

Try getting full renters or home owners insurance if you own an APBT. :rolleyes:

After dating a girl in the insurance industry for a short time I was further impressed by how little thinking is involved with setting up policies, and how many absurd rules they have set in place. It's a mind boggling system that I do not understand the reasons behind at all.

After we moved from West Linn to Happy Valley my auto for just me went from $68 to $96 :(

I'm going to give SF a call Monday and see what they can do for me. Last time I got a quote from them, about a year ago, it was like $115 per month. Their renters insurance is dirt cheap though, $15/mo. for $30k + $5k of firearm coverage.

After we moved from West Linn to Happy Valley my auto for just me went from $68 to $96 :(

I'm going to give SF a call Monday and see what they can do for me. Last time I got a quote from them, about a year ago, it was like $115 per month. Their renters insurance is dirt cheap though, $15/mo. for $30k + $5k of firearm coverage.

That's a pretty sizable 'penalty' for a smart move away from West Linn:) That does seem cheap for renters insurance though.

I had a similar experience when, after 2 years, and out of nowhere metlife cancelled my homeowners after asking to do an inspection and learning I had knob and tube wiring. The house was built in 1923--of course it had that kind of wiring. My mortage company had kittens. Anyhow, I went with Farmers for everything. I could probably pay a smidge less elsewhere, but they are no hassle. I was sued and they took care of everything. 2 wrecks-no problems. They did want a 3rd party appraisal on my guns which was a pain, but they have no problems insuring them.

I have heard state farm is great for service too.

In my experience (25 plus years)

State Farm is the best at covering everything

"Hair, feathers, guts and all"

And telling you the limits for weird things

Like earthquake coverage in the Pacific Northwest.

That being said, I'm gonna read through my policies again.

isher

I just checked out some of the various Home and auto coverages available. Some big variations out there, you'll find. I found (and I didn't know they existed) G.M.A.C. Auto insurance to be the most reasonable and they have a partner, Homestead Insurance, that will offer the combined discount deal for homeowners (don't know about renters). In terms of contents you can specify your coverage and many other details, too.
They are online for quotes.
Oh, I checked Allstate, SF, Farmers, Metlife,Travelers, Geico,Safeco; till I was tired of it.
Not even close.

This will help. If you are NRA member that insure guns at $1.60 per thousand and State Farm has an personal protection policy that insures at $1.42 per thousand. There is a catch with the State Farm policy in my eyes though you have to give all the serial numbers of the guns you want insured. To me that is ok I don't mind but I know a lot of people like to keep stuff like that quiet. Hope that helps.

GMAC is about the same as I'm paying now, but I just checked State Farm and they're around $80/mo. ($16/mo. cheaper) for better coverage, and that's before the multiple policy discount :D

I guess you guys are figuring out who OWNS this country!
Until lawmakers are willing to stand up to the insurance industry, we will continue to pay outrageous prices for everything from Dr.'s visits to homeowners/renters insurance.
People talk about the various lobbies and their power in congress. No other even comes close to the insurance lobby.

I second the recommendation to insure your firearms thru the NRA's program. It is available only to Members. You are a member, right?

You do not have to provide serial numbers, etc., although for higher value items, (what they term "classified") there is a provision that you disclose some specifics about the firearm. You can get all the details by speaking with an NRA rep. Get the Policy and read the Fine Print.

Personally, I do not care to deal with mainstream insurance companies in this regard. Let them insure my car, my stereo, my furniture, my clothes and my lawnmower. Let them do what their socially responsible conscience permits them to do in good faith.

For firearms, I will Only deal with a firearms-supportive company. I refuse to mickey-mouse around with the kind dipsticks you have been speaking with. It is simply a losing proposition. Not everyone thinks the way we do and corporate entities are free to do as they wish, including making and enforcing an anti-gun corporate policy.

If your are guns stolen, you will appreciate the service of the NRA sponsored vendor. And yes, you will have to pay more than you want to for that kind of piece of mind. And only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Thanks for alerting us to this particular company and their ignorant prejudices.

That's pretty ridiculous that Travelers won't insure "assault rifles". I guess I need to dig out our renters insurance and make sure my guns are covered.

We get a great rate through Progressive. State Farm wanted to charge me 133&#37; of what my progressive policy is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top