JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
I asked because......

There happens to be a public shotgun wildlife/hunting/range area out by Lake Vancouver, WA. Probably on Federal Lands or probably partially funded with Federal money. Perhaps the Pittman Robinson Act monies were involved?

Nice.

Anyway, I went there once (more than 5 years ago) to see if I could shoot some clay targets. Once there, I saw the signs that prohibited the use of lead shot. So then, YES, federal hunting laws and all that prohibitions on lead shot, birds being poisoned, the environment, etc.... Yup, even though I don't hunt.....I've heard of those laws. There was a nice area of cleared, flat, leveled field, next to the parking lot. Probably used for clay bird throwing/shooting. But, "Target Shooting" of a shotgun while on the range with only "steel shot" is expensive. It's best that I forget about shooting here or next time, spend more money for steel (bismuth, whatever, etc....) if I want to use that range

But then.....
Right across that range...... is an area where it's probably illegal to shoot. Yup....evidenced by the many expended hulls on the ground. I don't think that the people were hunting and they were probably using lead shot too. Probably just shooting at clays.

The point of the story being.......

If you wanted to have a safe area/designated to shoot shotguns.......
Well, the majority of the shotgun shells in this country is still loaded with lead. So, why have a range that only limits the shooter to steel shot? Do you think that the birds know that.....on this side, there is steel shot on the ground and on the other side there is lead?

And, I don't want to get started........
On how Clark County chooses to ignore the shooting sports.

Aloha, Mark

I'm 99% sure that is only a wild life preserve and target shooting, even with steel shot, is illegal.

Steel shot clay shooting will be an expensive trip:D;)

Found the steel shot in 20ga at Bi-Mart. $7.89/box of 25. 7 shot, 2 3/4". The extra $2-3 is fine with me because I'm not paying anything else to shoot there. And, I'm not planning on shooting more than 1 box. I can see how it would add up when you're going to shoot over 100 rounds! Next option was a $13+ box in 2 shot & 3"! Funny how I looked over the shelf time and time again and still didn't see this box. The store clerk found it for me. It looks the same as the lead shot.

I hope this is the right stuff! I have no experience shooting trap on ODFW property, much less a trap range. I just like to shoot things that fly through the air! (Look out, @FordPrefect , I'm gunnin for that drone of yours!).

Steel 20 ga.jpg

Found the steel shot in 20ga at Bi-Mart. $7.89/box of 25. 7 shot, 2 3/4". The extra $2-3 is fine with me because I'm not paying anything else to shoot there. And, I'm not planning on shooting more than 1 box. I can see how it would add up when you're going to shoot over 100 rounds! Next option was a $13+ box in 2 shot & 3"! Funny how I looked over the shelf time and time again and still didn't see this box. The store clerk found it for me. It looks the same as the lead shot.

I hope this is the right stuff! I have no experience shooting trap on ODFW property, much less a trap range. I just like to shoot things that fly through the air! (Look out, @FordPrefect , I'm gunnin for that drone of yours!).

Remember when I'm flying around, I've got the speed limit set to 11 MPH. Want to shoot at it, I go to max.

Holy moly am I off base. The coordinates shown in the post took me to the little red heart shown on the attached map. The end of sauvie island road is 41 minutes away from that (the dropped red pin on map). Yikes! I guess the posted gps coordinates were wrong.

F830429E-F901-4B94-B888-563F135B29FD.png

Last Edited:
Far west end.
Holy moly am I off base. The coordinates shown in the post took me to the little red heart shown on the attached map. The end of sauvie island road is 41 minutes away from that (the dropped red pin on map). Yikes! I guess the posted gps coordinates were wrong.

View attachment 609214
Sorry 'bout that! I went with what OHA gave me. When I got there, it was different! Bummer. Luckily, I saw the first OHA sign at the ODFW office and it pointed me West on Sauvie Island Rd, (which was different from the instructions & map link they gave me!). That's why I really try my best to give accurate coordinance to our own events! I hate it when people are spread out all over trying to find a meeting place!

Missed several at first. Then kicked it up a notch and started a fast trigger right away at first flight. Started nailing them!

Man, that was fun!

My son and I visited this trap range today and have to say you all did a fabulous job so THANK YOU! Other than ODFW stopping to ask that we shoot inside the stations (sorry I've never shot trap and thought they were optional), we had a blast going through a whole lot of steel and clay. :s0155::s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top