Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Transporting handgun in truck question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by DangerRanger01, Jul 30, 2009.

1. DangerRanger01

DangerRanger01 Corvallis/Albany, OR New Member

Okay, i've got a Colt King Cobra and when i go up shooting, i've always locked it in my toolbox with ammo so its not accessible while driving.
    My question is, would it be legal to just sit on my passenger's seat out in the open? My buddy said just keep it up on the dash, but i don't like this....i just want to be safe if i ever get pulled over.

Anybody help me out?

Oh, and I'm only 20yo if that matters....

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

You can keep it on the passenger seat or dash as long as it is not concealed. It does not matter that you are 20 as it is legal to posess but not purchase before your 21st b-day. You do however need to keep it unloaded while in the passenger compartment without a permit to carry. You can also lock it in the glovebox if it is lockable. another transport is to keep in a locked case, as long as it is locked in a case it can be anywhere in the vehicle.

3. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

not sure about bein 20 but i looked into my kids taking my handguns somewhere and i was told to have a written letter on them sayin they could use my gun . Don

4. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

That sounds like writing a letter principal or a school teacher.
    "Oh principal, please let me wear a different uniform today."

That kind of logic with legislators doesn't help their imagine in my mind..

5. New Oregonian

New Oregonian Lane County Member

So can the ammo/magazine be in the same compartment or does it need to be in the trunk if the gun is on the passanger seat?

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

as far as I know as long as the clip is not in it and the chamber is empty it can be with it.