JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this M1903 for $125.00 a couple years ago. Upon getting home I discovered it was a "Low Serial Number" Springfield made in Feb of 1918. It had not been physically molsted no holes nothing removed that couldn't be replaced. Granted getting it back to collector grade was going to cost way more then I could afford. A nice WWI era S type Finger Groove stock can run close to $400.00 alone.

So I decided since I was going to keep the rifle as will my son when its his I would get it back to "Looking" as correct as I could. I bought a S type finger groove reproduction stock from Dupage Trading (I think I got the last one they had as it disappeared from the web site right after) it was actually made by Boyds and was very fat. I sourced some original mechanical drawings for the Stock and Hand Guard and went to whittling it to as close as I could get with what I had to work with.

The hardest was the finger groove ends looked completely wrong I had to lenghten the grooves round the ends and straighten the lines after having to narrow the stock down quite a bit in the area of the lower band.

The wood around the trigger guard was very proud so that was reduced to match the metal best I could looking at photos of original stocks.

The Handguard was a real challenge since it was kind of a newer version then the WWI era I wanted it was not as tall nor was it as square near the top rear as it should have been. I worked with what I had and reshaped it as close as the material would allow. It should be about .100" taller and the corners should be sharper. But its way better then it came.

I made a mistake redrilling the lower band spring hole (the lower band spring stud was welded off center and I had to adjust the hole to center it in the slot) I show a photo of the plug I used to fill the old hole.

I have about $250.00 in the new stock and replacing the missing metal I est. 30 hours of time not including the week it took to stain and apply 10 coats of WATCO boiled Linseed Oil finish to the stock. No idea what the rifle is worth now nor do I care its now a keeper and should one day my fortunes greatly improve I'll dress it in a proper period correct stock and matching metal. For now that it looks like it should is enough for me. I really enjoyed the project even if it was at times very frustrating. Now of course my M1 Garand looks very natty sitting on the rack next to my newly restocked M1 Carbine and the M1903. I guess this Winter I work on the Garand.

Anyway I have before and after photos and will try to alternate them for you.

Right side before:

M1903-A1firstphotos001w.jpg

Right side after transformation:

M1903finishedsideview1-1.jpg

Right side bolt detail before:

M1903-A1firstphotos004w-1.jpg

Right side bolt detail after:

Boltdetail.jpg

Left side details before:

M1903-A1firstphotos008w.jpg

Left Side after:

leftsidedetail.jpg

Rear Sight and handguard details:

M1903-A1firstphotos010w.jpg

Rear Sight and New Handguard details:

rearsighttopofhandguarddetail.jpg

Trigger Guard before:

M1903-A1firstphotos011w.jpg

Trigger Guard after:

triggerguarddetail.jpg

Finger Groove detail now:

fingergroovedetail.jpg

Lower band detail now:

lowerbanddetail.jpg

Right Butt stock detail:

rightstockdetail.jpg

Lower Band Spring Oops:

oopsdetail.jpg

New Front Sight and Cover:

frontsightdetail.jpg

I still have the C stock and should I come across another M1903 barreled action that needed a stock I might go that way. I have to many other projects to invest in it right now. But I will hang on to the C stock unless someone comes along that needs it. Springfield sporter stocks are so cheap though its hardly worth the effort.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top