JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello all,

I am traveling to Portland, OR in a couple of weeks to visit my brother who lives there. I am from California (Los Angeles) and own two long guns and a handgun which I want to give to my brother. I'll be driving to Oregon with the guns and want to know if I can transfer my guns over to my brother through an FFL? I can't find a straight answer as the Gun Control Act of 1968 states that private sales/transfers is prohibited unless going through an FFL dealer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

can't find a straight answer as the Gun Control Act of 1968 states that private sales/transfers is prohibited unless going through an FFL dealer.
Private sales are governed by state law. The GCA only refers to handguns bought from a source outside your state of residence... not an issue here as you will be transporting them to the POS (sorry... should have said Point of Sale. I don't even know your brother, I'm sure he's fine a human).
An OR FFL will do the transfer.

A sibling is exempt from the Oregon transfer law if they are not a prohibited person.

However, federal law has no exceptions for family for interstate transfers, so if you wish to be legal, you need to transfer all firearms thru an FFL since your state of residence seems to be California.

A sibling is exempt from the Oregon transfer law if they are not a prohibited person.

However, federal law has no exceptions for family for interstate transfers, so if you wish to be legal, you need to transfer all firearms thru an FFL since your state of residence seems to be California.

This 100%

1968 GCA seems to seal commerce, of which gifts are not.

And 166.435 (4)(c)(D) for Oregon.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews