JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd probably give them their money back. Never underestimate the federal government's capacity to screw things up.

I would probably do the same, but I wonder if some sellers would have the ability to. I see a lot of people selling on here to make rent and bills which is unfortunate and years ago a bad choice put me in that position as well. If I sold something given those circumstances, I am not sure I would have the money to give back to them a few days after the NICS check went sideways.

Sadly, mine is one of the 17 who either remained silent or supported 594. (One of the Giant Toilet Bowl counties...)
I probably could have been more precise. I agree that you should know whether you're going to pass the BGC, but even if you are sure that you know, the Feds can still screw it up royally. You may have passed dozens of checks and then suddenly you fail for no reason. I've read stories of people spending years and thousands of dollars trying to clear up exactly that sort of situation.
*Geico ad voice* If you're a Fed, you find new, creative and expensive-to-fix ways to bugger things up. It's What You Do.

:(

How long does NICS typically take? Didn't consider that. If there's a significant delay, I go home with the buyer's money? And if he eventually does NOT clear, he has to trust me to meet up again and return him the money?

Before the new law, none of this was any concern.
I'm an FFL here in Vancouver, the number of private transfers that we do is SLOWLY going up. It's pretty simple in my shop, I don't care if the buyer looks over the gun in my shop but we do expect things to move along. I had one private transfer take over an hour because the buyer was a tad indecisive lol. All financial transactions take place between the buyer and seller except for the transfer fee. NICS check is up to 3 business days but most of them come back instantly. If it's a handgun and you do not have a WA permit then, under the new law, the state has 10 "working business days" to complete the check and they don't count the day you do the paperwork on. If they get a delay then we hold onto the gun until the paperwork comes back.

I would probably do the same, but I wonder if some sellers would have the ability to. I see a lot of people selling on here to make rent and bills which is unfortunate and years ago a bad choice put me in that position as well. If I sold something given those circumstances, I am not sure I would have the money to give back to them a few days after the NICS check went sideways.
Well if you don't have the money anymore, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Maybe a little, but not a lot.

I've not seen any gun shop people that are real keen on letting 2 strangers just walk in with a gun and start 'checking it out'.

So far I have not had any gun shop personnel question it.

I am usually the first to the shop - I buy, not sell (I have pretty much adopted the attitude that I will never sell any guns again - I don't need to) - so I walk in, look around at what they have, then when they ask if I need help I tell them I am there to do a transfer and I am the buyer. Sometimes I have them pull out a gun I am interested in before or after the sale (one time I went ahead and bought that gun too).

The last gun I bought - that CZ rifle for sale here recently - the seller was there first and he had the gun inside and IIRC others were already oohing and aahing over it. The shop was really busy doing transfers and sales so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Another question maybe someone can answer, since I've never dealt with this particular scenario. So an out of state buyer is interested and wants to pay using Paypal. Has anyone done it this way before? Does Paypal work pretty smoothly for this?

So I suppose the transaction would go something like this ... I'd include my FFL's shipping fee in the price, I wait for payment, when payment received and transferred to my bank account I take the firearm to my FFL to ship to their FFL ... Other than the address of the out of state FFL, I'm assuming my FFL also needs the buyer's personal info (name, address), correct? I just want all the ducks in order before I walk in and ask the FFL to ship.

Update, I talked to an FFL. They don't need buyer's info, just the out of state FFL info. They said the transaction on the other end is between the buyer and their FFL. Out of curiosity, how does that work on the buyer's end? How does their FFL know who the firearm is for?

Another question maybe someone can answer, since I've never dealt with this particular scenario. So an out of state buyer is interested and wants to pay using Paypal. Has anyone done it this way before? Does Paypal work pretty smoothly for this?

So I suppose the transaction would go something like this ... I'd include my FFL's shipping fee in the price, I wait for payment, when payment received and transferred to my bank account I take the firearm to my FFL to ship to their FFL ... Other than the address of the out of state FFL, I'm assuming my FFL also needs the buyer's personal info (name, address), correct? I just want all the ducks in order before I walk in and ask the FFL to ship.
I would not use PayPal. Paypal is hostile to gun transactions, and if the buyer files a complaint weeks down the road they will ding your bank account for the refund. I suspect that with their exhibited attitude about firearms you could expect a fair amount of headaches trying to get things straightened out. I would accept a check or money order and wait for it to clear before shipping.

I agree - don't use PayPal for firearms.

I rarely use them for anything, and only because I used to before I knew better and I still have about $50 in there left over - slowly whittling that down - every once in a while I use it.

I don't like them - too many horror stories about them freezing accounts. I am glad they no longer have access to my bank accounts (I closed the account I used to put money in).

I've only done one remote purchase - an FFL bought a rare firearm I had for sale. He sent his FFL docs (which I matched to his business and his name and the address I was sending the rifle to) and a cashiers check for $3K which I took to a local branch of his bank and cashed there on the spot. Then I mailed (US Postal Service) the rifle to him and gave him the tracking number. He got it and all went well.

As for the destination FFL know who the firearm is for, I would recommend that both parties talk to the FFL first and follow the recommendations of the FFL.

You do not need to use and FFL on your end if you don't want to.

I don't use PayPal after they froze my account after the first transaction. They get all butthurt about guns and refuse to deal with the firearms industry. We don't take PayPal payments and try to stay away from them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top