JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1607125339536.jpeg

The problem is who says who's who?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see any of those qualifiers.
Traits?
Firearm ownership is a right and unless you've been a bad boy or girl, there shouldn't be any traits to exclude ownership.
If us gun nuts ever want to shake the public's perception of gun owners as vain old white men we need to stop gatekeeping fair weather gun ownership. "Should (insert person) own a gun?" is a completely moot question, because it isn't your decision to make. It is there's to make and the connotation that you can tell them as a matter of fact comes off like a conceited armchair psychologist.

So, fellas
Should the intellectually disabled (formerly known as mentally retarded) be allowed to have guns?

I taught special ed for 18+ years, working with severely disabled kids, i.e. kids who will never be self sufficient, who will never be out of diapers. Do any of you think they should be allowed to own/handle firearms and ammunition?

Do any of you think they should be allowed to own/handle firearms and ammunition?
As a professional what are your thoughts on the matter ?

Reason I ask is I got into a similar discussion regarding an adult child of a good friend of mine who is in this category - but it was not about guns.

I'd say, take her. let her start with a 22.. keep close to her , like you would a child.. she doesn't need to know how to rebuild a weapon . just the basic. the rest you can teach. if she's still interested... I wish my wife would like to go shooting with me...she would, if i was in front of the weapon..lol

So, fellas
Should the intellectually disabled (formerly known as mentally retarded) be allowed to have guns?

I taught special ed for 18+ years, working with severely disabled kids, i.e. kids who will never be self sufficient, who will never be out of diapers. Do any of you think they should be allowed to own/handle firearms and ammunition?

So why are you bothering teaching them? Because they can still learn.

I'll preface by saying I have a niece with down syndrome and she will most likely require family care for the rest of her life, but she is surrounded by a bunch of gun nuts and her safety has to be taken into consideration in how guns a handled and stored around her. That said she wants to join in on the fun she see others having so we let her. This is where the Cricket and the Henry Min-bolt come in handy, we get her down in the prone position and get down there with her and help her all the way. She has a lot fun being included and there is no smile bigger than a DS kid's smile. She is still capable of learning, just not everything.

Should she ever own her own firearm? Probably not. People with a severe mental disability are one of the very rare exceptions to the rule as they need to be protected from their lack of comprehension and there has to be that line. We don't let her wandering naked in the street either. She loves horses and I mean big time. She gets ride them with a seat belted saddle while being lead around. Would we let her hop on a trail horse and take off? Of course not.

So bottom line, should she be able to handle a firearm? Yes. Should she own one and have it hanging on her bedroom wall? Again, probably not.

Last Edited:
So, fellas

I was wondering if there is an official ruling or legality in cases of "intellectually disabled", as would be required to be noted on a 4473... honest question, I don't know. And if you remember, my wife is on the Alzheimer's track that will have to be dealt with at some point. Not that I plan to buy her any more guns, but if she ever has some kind of judgement, will I be forced give up guns? Or, will it just be a matter of safe storage?

bubblegum, I'd go to war with that thing, pink is a man's color :cool:

Indeed it is, if you're going by mid-19th century "standards".
Children were dressed in pastels during this period in time.
Pink was linked to red, which was considered to be a strong and masculine color. Mothers were encouraged to dress their sons in pink so the boys would become more manly as they grew up.
Blues were worn by girls and women.

Personally, I view men who rock the pink shirts (if they like the color) as being very secure in their masculinity.
Being secure with and sure of oneself, not allowing anyone else to dictate what they wear or act like just to fit in or look "cool" or proper is sexy.
But everyone is different and individual. YMMV.

Personally, I view men who rock the pink shirts (if they like the color) as being very secure in their masculinity.
I had a pink polo shirt back in the 90s when I was studly and ruggedly handsome (very near in time to when my avatar pic was taken).
Well, actually, it was more of a "salmon"... Does salmon count as sexy? :oops:

Last Edited:
Salmon is like dipping a toe in the pink pool.:cool:

I showed up to a shoot at the local range with my wife's (only) pink gun. The look on all the old guy's faces were priceless. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Indeed it is, if you're going by mid-19th century "standards".
Children were dressed in pastels during this period in time.
Pink was linked to red, which was considered to be a strong and masculine color. Mothers were encouraged to dress their sons in pink so the boys would become more manly as they grew up.
Blues were worn by girls and women.

Being secure with and sure of oneself, not allowing anyone else to dictate what they wear or act like just to fit in or look "cool" or proper is sexy.
But everyone is different and individual. YMMV.

I like all the colors so I wear rainbow shirts. :s0136:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads