JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, sorry about the underwhelming details, here you go...

I have S&W 442 in my pocket right now, not a 442-1 or 442-2 but the original 442. I bought from a guy who bought it for his wife who fired exactly 5 shots through it before putting it her sock drawer for decades, there it sat until I came along and bought it. She hated it and that is a common theme I have witnessed for many moons.

Snubnose revolvers are difficult to shoot well and generally suck as a defensive weapon because:

1. They have a long heavy trigger pull causing the muzzle to inadvertently move upon being depresses making accuracy a challenge.
2. They have a very short sight radius and typically diminutive sights which are difficult to see well and again making accuracy a challenge.
3. There recoil hard and most women, especially beginners do not like recoil because it hurts their hand and often scares them.
4. The alleged simplicity is a falsehood, revolvers are mechanically much more complex than auto loaders. If a revolver goes down at the wrong time in a gun fight it is not going to be put back into action, it is done, for an auto and tap, rack or even just rack will get it back into action.
5. Like #4, take speed reloads - forget about. The New York reload exists for a reason.
6. Very limited capacity and see #5

There's more but that is the bulk of it. Don't take my word for it, here is want women have to say...

CHOOSING THE RIGHT GUN – A FEMALE PERSPECTIVE
The Argument Against the Snub Nose Revolver as a "Ladies' Gun"
What Kind Of Gun For A Woman
Four Reasons to NEVER Carry Just a .38 Snubnose
Guns For Beginners: The Best Carry Handgun(s) For Women

Note all the .38 snubs here...
Top 12-handguns for women
The Top 10 Most Popular Guns For Women – 2018
Best Handguns for Women in 2020
That's right, there aren't any, not one.

You are wrong, there is logic behind it, she is better with it as everyone is...

There is always more to the story but quite frankly it is none of your business and furthermore I don't appreciate being called a liar. You can take it or leave it I don't give a rip.

A 38 works great for a starter pistol for millions of people, including women.

The really funny part is most of your 'best guns for women' copy/pastes list a Glock as 1-2 or 3rd best, which you blew off as worst. I love ARs own several, just wouldn't want to be around a blind person wielding one.

Everybody has an opinion, some are better than others.

Little j frame pocket pistols are nasty to shoot
This is not entirely true and is dependant by the grips that are on the gun.

Stock J frame, non wraparound wood grips - yep - terrible however the Diamond Pro grips I put on my 2" Mod 60 make it very controllable and nice to shoot. Considerably nicer than some mini 9's I have shot.

IMG_1941.JPG

What difference does the bat make if you can't use it?

Anybody can swing a bat or pull a trigger. It was mentioned by me and a dozen others that training is important.
Better to try and fail than to just be an unarmed victim when confronting a determined assailant, in my view.

In my experience, there are 'gun people' probably like many who are on gun forums, practice regularly and own a few for a variety of difference uses and scenarios; then are are non-gun people who still want one for emergency reasons, probably own only one, don't practice regularly and aren't into the details of recoil impulse for the few times they end up pulling the trigger. Both are fine with me.

Last Edited:
This is not entirely true and is dependant by the grips that are on the gun.

Stock J frame, non wraparound wood grips - yep - terrible however the Diamond Pro grips I put on my 2" Mod 60 make it very controllable and nice to shoot. Considerably nicer than some mini 9's I have shot.

Yep, put a full size grip on it and it's manageable even with the lighter weight. There is no absolute here and internet arguing is funny. Basically we're all saying the same thing.

I would get a full auto bb gun and train her on that first. At least you don't have to worry about getting shot and having your life ended, due to a careless mistake.

My normal test, is handing a unloaded gun with slide out of battery, if they put their finger in the trigger while holding the gun and trying to manipulate it. Guess what, they are dry firing with empty mags for weeks.
You'll shoot your eye out.....

I've witnessed JUST ONE ND in all my years around firearms. It was by a LEO (active at the time) and it was done with a Smith .38 Special snubby.

A 38 works great for a starter pistol for millions of people, including women.

Sure in a Model 10 or 19/66 but not a J-frame sized, there are simply better options today.

The really funny part is most of your 'best guns for women' copy/pastes list a Glock as 1-2 or 3rd best, which you blew off as worst.

Show me where I said that. I didn't.

I love ARs own several, just wouldn't want to be around a blind person wielding one.

Legally blind. Then don't break into her house.

Everybody has an opinion, some are better than others.

And I posted several links to women with the same opinion as I've stated.

Any gun is better than no gun, when you need one.

You said " These are almost universally the worst weapon to give a woman with no handgun experience."
in reply to my original reply about giving my wife a 38 AND A GLOCK.

I could copy paste lots of articles saying the opposite of what you said. But it's not worth the bother.

All I know is there are plenty of VERY capable women shooters that can outshoot most members here. We have an RSO at my range who is like 5'-nothing and weighs probably 100 pounds wet and she can run an STI race gun better than most. I don't think what's between someone's legs matters much when it comes to gun choice. All those articles about "best gun for women" and then list little mousegun-sized pistols are misleading in my opinion. I've seen plenty of dudes that had no business being on the range because they didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

All I know is there are plenty of VERY capable women shooters that can outshoot most members here. We have an RSO at my range who is like 5'-nothing and weighs probably 100 pounds wet and she can run an STI race gun better than most. I don't think what's between someone's legs matters much when it comes to gun choice. All those articles about "best gun for women" and then list little mousegun-sized pistols are misleading in my opinion. I've seen plenty of dudes that had no business being on the range because they didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

Not tween the legs, tween the ears!

But did you not write that those persons shouldn't OWN a gun? As opposed to saying shouldn't CARRY a gun. ???

(Edit to add: I would also have to say that I am in favor of "shall issue" carry permits, and not require a demeaning convo with a sheriff, who in his all knowing, all seeing male authority repeats the typical old police captain saw about a gun being taken and used against a gun owner/carry person. It's not that it is not often true, it is that it is also often untrue... most often, the mere display of a firearm will ward off a robber or attacker, and more importantly, none of his business! And yes, I understand that in "may issue" states, he could make it his business.)

It's not up to me to decide who gets a gun and who doesn't. We can sit here and spitball about who "shouldn't" have one, but that should be the end of it. As I said, posting an opinion is a whole different animal than working to decide who should be prohibited.

If I were to apply the same logic to writing/posting, I would say that there are some people that shouldn't post. Fortunately, it is not my responsibility to decide who here can say what, and who can or should be banned. If it was, I would be the first one I would ban!!! ;););):D

"I would never join a club that would have me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Oh goody, I've been put on ignore!! (The quotes of the person I addressed this to have been deleted from my screen.)

Apparently, I ain't everybody's cup of tea. But I didn't think I was writing anything that would pizz howard off!!!

Last Edited:
You said " These are almost universally the worst weapon to give a woman with no handgun experience."
in reply to my original reply about giving my wife a 38 AND A GLOCK.

Note the highlighted part of my post it hade nothing to do with Glocks.

I could copy paste lots of articles saying the opposite of what you said. But it's not worth the bother.

Maybe from behind the counter boobs that think they have a clue but not from woman.

A lot those small gun recommendations are geared toward CCW, there are also several recommending full size guns like the G17.

I admittedly didn't read them all. Just clicked on a couple of the links and scanned. I will say, I never will get behind the idea that "smaller is better" when it comes to CCW.

My wife owns an Taurus, I know I know, Model 605 .357 ported snubbie with a concealed hammer.

View attachment 786894

I think it's not a small revolver such as a J frame. And IMO and hers it was very pleasant to shoot. It did have a long 12lb trigger pull, that was smooth. Nothing I could do about the long pull, but I put a Wolfe spring kit in for her... mucho better!! This was the first handgun she owned on her own, and she wanted it for EDC, which she did in a belt pack. She was a good shot, could knock the nads off a skeeter at 25yds.

She later wanted something different because it's a heavy SOB. (My buddy's wife carries a S&W Bodyguard... actually I think it was a better model). But she can't rack a slide to save her life... not even a Shield EZ. So now with her dementia coming on, in the future I think she will be using forks or a sharp stick. :(:(:(

That is a decision we will make together as man and wife.

TAURUS-605.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews