JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
but would you then suggest that a blind person should be denied a firearm for self defense?

I help train a legally blind friend. She's not 100% blind but has the white cane, doesn't drive, the whole nine yards. I helped her sell her 442 .38 snub she was unconformable with that her X got her (because its the perfect dumb girl gun :rolleyes:) and helped her purchase a SIONICS AR and Beretta APX 9mm.

Last Edited:
It's not your call whether he should own a gun or not. You don't want to help him then don't, that IS your call.
absolutely true.

I dont see a reason to help when someone ignores your advice and demonstrates they dont want to follow basic understanding of gun ownership and responsibility. Its their right, and hopefully with a bit of luck it will work out for them. Luck is a terrible thing to rely on with guns.

I'm getting back into shooting and my wife wants to shoot also. But I don't think she has what's needed to be a gun owner. It's a difficult thing to describe. She isn't detail oriented, doesn't care to know how things work, she just wants to use things, doesn't want to put any effort into anything unless it's the fun parts, if she does put in any effort, it's as little as possible, she doesn't read instructions or follow directions well. She has a hard time assembling anything or fixing something that comes apart. Almost like a lack of spatial awareness, I sometimes think if you gave her one of those tests of putting different shaped blocks into the proper holes, she would fail at it. A couple of specifics, we saw a gun on youtube and she wanted that one because she liked the color of it. Also I've been trying to do 5 minute training sessions in the evenings to get her familiar with a gun I have, how to load a magazine with ammo, put the magazine in the gun, work the slide, hold it, use the sights, just general familiarity and repetition on the 4 safety rules. She hasn't wanted to do any of that and recently said that she needs to just go shoot it.

All this has made me think there are more people, other than the usual and obvious set, that should not own guns. I know there are some obvious traits of those that shouldn't own guns, but I'm thinking there may be other less obvious traits, either by themselves or combined, that also mean someone shouldn't own a gun. I'm just having a hard time summing that up into a cohesive description. Any thoughts?

You are 100% correct. I've run across a lot of people in my time that I sincerely wish would never touch a firearm let alone own one.

View attachment 786580
My wife's a big fan of pink, and hello kitty, lol.
Looks awesome on the firing line at the range! I gotta kill an animal with it, just for the lolz.
:s0140:
Lemme guess... is it gonna be a kitten? :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know...
Straight ta hell.jpg

Last Edited:
If the "Four Basic Rules" of gun safety are followed the vast majority of the dangers of firearms handling are eliminated.

My wife is not mechanically inclined. She knows basically how guns work, semi auto, revolvers, bolt action. She's not much into the mechanics of firearms though. A safer person with a gun you'll never know. She drives a car just fine, doesn't know much about them either. Just the rules of safe driving, and to pay attention.

Does your wife drive? Without a bunch of infractions, accidents and tickets? She could be pretty deadly behind the wheel of a vehicle too.

:s0140:

Wifey wanted a purple/pink AR! She looks mighty good in purple too. But she's pragmatic and realized that might compromise resale value though.
Wait....you mean you can sell guns?

Don't let my wife hear you say that:s0023:

Should some folks not own firearms...? Sure.
With that said...
It is not up to me to make that decision for them.

As for the OP , I agree with the others here who have suggested that she take a firearm safety course from someone other than her husband.
Andy

Sounds like my (twin) sister lol Though her people skills are great as she is quite extroverted where I'm more of the opposite, more introverted as I'm always wanting to know why things happen, not just the end result as she does. Luckily she isn't into guns and shooting lol

Yes, that's similar. What my wife is good at is managing and organizing. In a business environment, she would be a manager of people and has been. She's good with that. As where I would be someone in the trenches doing the work hopefully by myself.

Most people who shouldn't own or operate a firearm steer clear of firearms. They don't trust themselves with a firearm and they know this. They know its not for them. The problem becomes when they project their misgivings onto everyone else ("nobody should own, etc...")

Last Edited:
Back in the day when we could all have any kind of handgun, and often did, Mrs tac wasn't too concerned about the how, just the 'what happened when I squeeze this here triggery thing'. Note that she was never interested in any kind of rifle, just handguns.

Despite her lack of 'how it works' she was a county champion pistol shot, and during the odd Wednesday sports afternoon fun shoots, separated many an over-confident shooter from his money with any handgun we had taken along to shoot - from my Lugers, Walthers, Lahti and m/40, S&W Model 29s, 686,19 or 41 and anything else you can think of, oh yes, did I mention M1911s and Glocks?

Her .22cal slow-fire average at 25m was 93.4x100. NOT to be sniffed at, I reckon. She had a Hammerli 208 and a Unique DES69 and shot them as and when she felt like it with equal results.

Man asks a simple, legitimate, sincere question and out of the starting block they go ... o_O

A "man" comes on here and trashes his wife... I'll call it as I see it!!

I legitimately, and sincerely, think he is being disrespectful to her, demanding of her, and not understanding HER needs/wants/likes. She has to learn what HE mansplains, what HE thinks she needs, what HE thinks she should want, what HE thinks she is capable of or not capable of. You can relate to that eh?

I think she will surprise him.

bubblegum, I'd go to war with that thing, pink is a man's color :cool:

Yah gatta be a real man to wear pink.

My Dad wore pink out on the golf course, and on the ballroom dance floor. I once wore pink paisley with a white leisure suit... in those days I had John Lennon glasses, muttonchop sideburns, and collar length hair. And a HOT girlfriend!!!

People who shouldn't carry, own, or be around firearms:

* Those who have anger issues

* Those who have no self-control

* Those who can't/won't act responsibly

* Those who would hesitate to use a gun in self-defense

* Those who have the IQ of a turnip

Generally agree except for I know many that don't have guns for self defense, might never use one even if they had to, but nevertheless enjoy various shooting sports. IMO there is no reason to deprive a squeamish person of the enjoyment of shooting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top