JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The woman's training course is a top recommendation. Also would suggest she may sound more like a smaller revolver (38/357) person. Did both for my wife, interestingly she developed a liking for a Glock 19 at the course, so I gave her both guns.

These are almost universally the worst weapon to give a woman with no handgun experience.

It took my wife a period of years to get used to shooting. Long story but she was probably in the same arena as yours with what she said as well. It was more girl centric snark than anything else.

We went to the range a bit, but it was the 25 yard range at TCGC. She was always freaked out by simply being there, added to the stress that she could only put one out of 5 shots on the paper.

Took her to a really good training class (after I went), and we both trained together. Learned the same way to handle a CCW pistol and gained the same vocabulary. Now we practice everything when we go to the range, because we learned it together. I learned to do things differently for the main reason that I could use the common ground to communicate with her. It worked very well.

The best trick was getting the pistol 2' from the dang paper so she could figure out her sights. Once that epiphany hit it was all downhill.

She'll never dry fire or practice regularly (or without me), but when I leave town the gun is on her nightstand and I'm comfortable that she knows how and when to use it.

*edit - It was Oregon Firearms Academy where we trained, but they closed to regular operations in 2016. Dan Abbot is amazing, he's a member here ( OFADan ) and sometimes pops up but I haven't seen him around lately. Not sure if they still offer any private training but the link is below. Ultimately I took a range buddy and both kids there too.

link - Oregon Fire Arms Academy
I teach at TCGC and there are some excellent instructors there.

One doesn't have to be mechanically inclined or need to know how to fix a car to drive one, but one does need to learn how to drive one safely. So I'm with everybody else -- if she won't learn safety from you, then have her take a class and learn from someone else. The most important thing for her to learn, is the safety part.

After that, let her shoot whatever she has the most fun shooting, even if it's a gun she likes just because it's pretty, and just enjoy that you have something you both like doing that you can do together.

People who shouldn't carry, own, or be around firearms:

* Those who have anger issues

* Those who have no self-control

* Those who can't/won't act responsibly

* Those who would hesitate to use a gun in self-defense

* Those who have the IQ of a turnip

In your wife's case, you might want to see if she would enjoy paintball and/or airsoft. Lots of shooting fun.

And getting a pro instructor sounds like the right way to go.

Best of luck to you both.

Interesting how this is exactly the kind of subjective criteria that many antis think should be used in prohibiting a person from legal access to firearms.

In your wife's case, you might want to see if she would enjoy paintball and/or airsoft. Lots of shooting fun.

And getting a pro instructor sounds like the right way to go.

Best of luck to you both.

The problem is who says who's who?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see any of those qualifiers.

Pride and Arrogance -

Of all the people I ever helped when I worked as a range safety officer (terrible job by the way) the absolute worst people to deal with were the guys from other countries with no access to guns, who were dumber than hell, but had seen movies and thought they were skilled and knowledgeable as a result.

I could help anyone learn to shoot and be safe around guns. People who already know everything can't be taught though and they aren't even safe to be around.

In the topic of the OP and your wife. I'm a teacher, it's much harder than it looks to be able to do it well. I recommend having her get lessons from a competent woman.

View attachment 786580
My wife's a big fan of pink, and hello kitty, lol.

She can't shoot it worth a darn because of her extreme astigmatism, but I love her and had fun doing this project. So she likes to tell everyone about her cute pink gun even though she will probably never shoot it again, good on her. Give those gun grabbers a coronary.

Looks awesome on the firing line at the range! I gotta kill an animal with it, just for the lolz.
:s0140:
135BE4B2-9DC7-49D2-BF96-64005897B537.gif

The problem is who says who's who?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see any of those qualifiers.

Each and every one of us is who. I totally get this, what your saying, but I know someone who wants to own guns but isn't in a good place in life to own guns and wont listen. It wont be me who helps him till they show responsibility.

Each and every one of us is who. I totally get this, what your saying, but I know someone who wants to own guns but isn't in a good place in life to own guns and wont listen. It wont be me who helps him till they show responsibility.

It's not your call whether he should own a gun or not. You don't want to help him then don't, that IS your call.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top