JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting back into shooting and my wife wants to shoot also. But I don't think she has what's needed to be a gun owner. It's a difficult thing to describe. She isn't detail oriented, doesn't care to know how things work, she just wants to use things, doesn't want to put any effort into anything unless it's the fun parts, if she does put in any effort, it's as little as possible, she doesn't read instructions or follow directions well. She has a hard time assembling anything or fixing something that comes apart. Almost like a lack of spatial awareness, I sometimes think if you gave her one of those tests of putting different shaped blocks into the proper holes, she would fail at it. A couple of specifics, we saw a gun on youtube and she wanted that one because she liked the color of it. Also I've been trying to do 5 minute training sessions in the evenings to get her familiar with a gun I have, how to load a magazine with ammo, put the magazine in the gun, work the slide, hold it, use the sights, just general familiarity and repetition on the 4 safety rules. She hasn't wanted to do any of that and recently said that she needs to just go shoot it.

All this has made me think there are more people, other than the usual and obvious set, that should not own guns. I know there are some obvious traits of those that shouldn't own guns, but I'm thinking there may be other less obvious traits, either by themselves or combined, that also mean someone shouldn't own a gun. I'm just having a hard time summing that up into a cohesive description. Any thoughts?

I think your description was actually pretty good. And I would say that if she can't get behind the idea of learning firearms, really learning then maybe firearms aren't for her. And saying she likes a gun because of what color it is is fairly commonplace these days but still concerns lots of us gun owners that know better.

I would get a full auto bb gun and train her on that first. At least you don't have to worry about getting shot and having your life ended, due to a careless mistake.

My normal test, is handing a unloaded gun with slide out of battery, if they put their finger in the trigger while holding the gun and trying to manipulate it. Guess what, they are dry firing with empty mags for weeks.

Sounds like a child. Children should have zero access to firearms without adult supervision and in this case, even then. You're going to get a hole in you, son.

@kevinv, I don't think your concerns are meritless at all; quite the opposite.

A lot of my friends that do not own firearms have recently approached me for advice on purchasing their first firearm. I love helping them out. I ask them basic questions to start off with (what's the purpose, type, etc....).

A couple of them have made it sound like they just 'want to have something in case that something happens' (as in 'loaded in the drawer near the front door').

My advice to them has always been, if you don't intend to learn your firearm, practice, and shoot semi-frequently, then I would reconsider getting a firearm. I just don't personally believe that guns are necessarily for everyone.....

Last Edited:
I'm getting back into shooting and my wife wants to shoot also. But I don't think she has what's needed to be a gun owner. It's a difficult thing to describe. She isn't detail oriented, doesn't care to know how things work, she just wants to use things, doesn't want to put any effort into anything unless it's the fun parts, if she does put in any effort, it's as little as possible, she doesn't read instructions or follow directions well. She has a hard time assembling anything or fixing something that comes apart. Almost like a lack of spatial awareness, I sometimes think if you gave her one of those tests of putting different shaped blocks into the proper holes, she would fail at it. A couple of specifics, we saw a gun on youtube and she wanted that one because she liked the color of it. Also I've been trying to do 5 minute training sessions in the evenings to get her familiar with a gun I have, how to load a magazine with ammo, put the magazine in the gun, work the slide, hold it, use the sights, just general familiarity and repetition on the 4 safety rules. She hasn't wanted to do any of that and recently said that she needs to just go shoot it.

All this has made me think there are more people, other than the usual and obvious set, that should not own guns. I know there are some obvious traits of those that shouldn't own guns, but I'm thinking there may be other less obvious traits, either by themselves or combined, that also mean someone shouldn't own a gun. I'm just having a hard time summing that up into a cohesive description. Any thoughts?
If she knows your username, I hope she doesn't put the effort in to joining NWFA:)

:eek: Good God almighty, of more immediate concern....
.... does she currently operate a motor vehicle?... on public roads?... unsupervised?

The way you're describing her, I wouldn't allow her access to a Bic lighter!...or, for that matter, anything more dangerous than a plastic spoon.

( I really hope that you were just exaggerating to make a point )

Last Edited:
Sounds like a child. Children should have zero access to firearms without adult supervision and in this case, even then. You're going to get a hole in you, son.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I was shot by someone I took out shooting years ago because I didn't spend enough time preparing them. I don't want it to happen again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top