JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some years ago there was a post on a firearms forum that asked a question; Is there a difference between Shooting, Training or Practicing or something of the like. I recall blowing my coffee all over my keyboard.

There should be no difference in the area of how your handle a firearm. Every time you touch a firearm, or anything for that matter, it's another repetition that trains the brain...positively or negatively.

There is no such thing as "Practice Makes Perfect", as the conscious side of the brain decides what is "Perfect", so "Perfect" is relative to each person, whatever they think "Perfect" is.

The subconscious (or the catch phrase...muscle memory side which there are no memory cells in muscles) doesn't know anything other than what the conscious side of the brain inputs into it.

Your computer knows nothing other than what was programmed, thus spits back out what you put into it...same as the subconscious. It knows nothing other than what the conscious side puts into it.

When manipulating a firearm, your mind should not know any difference between shooting, training, or practice. You don't hold it any different...you don't manipulate the trigger any different. Your draw from the holster shouldn't be any different, your presentation from any position with the rifle should not be any different. If anything is different...here comes another catch phrase..."Training Scars".

I have been contacted quite a bit about the Precision Rifle class. Is it about the use of a hunting firearm? A Tactical Firearm? Why bring a pistol for a rifle course?
Reading the above, the Precision Rifle encompasses everything about shooting no matter what discipline you're doing.

The question remains...can you replicate your shot every time? Do you have a blueprint to be able to replicate your shot? Every time? You will not improve or succeed in your long range shooting, or tactical rifle shooting, or pistol shooting until you can. I can probably replicate the house I live in, but a blueprint would sure help...a lot.

Do you know what Presence is? Not the dictionary definition, but your definition. Do you know what you do when you Concentrate? What is Determination to you? And lastly what Decisions are made before manipulating the trigger? Do you know what the brain does in an "Open Loop" vs "Closed Loop" thinking process? All these things are done when placing a precision shot.

This class is not about the Aurora Borealis, Spin Drift, Curvature of the Earth, Time-Space-Dimension etc., it is about you the shooter, and how you're going to go about replicating your shot for success.

Irregardless of the upcoming Precision Rifle course, if you're not placing your shots were you want them to go, slow down and make sure you can identify what went wrong...blueprints really help.

Some years ago there was a post on a firearms forum that asked a question; Is there a difference between Shooting, Training or Practicing or something of the like.
Let's add 'sporting' in there.

Doesn't anyone just go shooting for recreation and relaxation anymore?

If not I highly recommend to those who never have, or those who have not done so in a while to grab your favorite rifle or handgun, take a nice day and head into the woods for some plinking and pinecone killing!

When did shooting turn into such a 'scientific' process?

I shoot therefore I am.... :D

My philosophy of shooting :
Make your next shot , better than the last.
When in a shooting competition , don't worry 'bout how the other guy is shooting...
Shoot safely , shoot often...and remember shooting is supposed to be fun...
If you are in a situation where you have to shoot "for real" , shoot well and with no regrets.
Andy

Let's add 'sporting' in there.

Doesn't anyone just go shooting for recreation and relaxation anymore?

If not I highly recommend to those who never have, or those who have not done so in a while to grab your favorite rifle or handgun, take a nice day and head into the woods for some plinking and pinecone killing!

Yes all the time. Do you press the trigger, hold the firearm any different during those "Sporting" times?

When did shooting turn into scientific? When you're shooting such long range that the weather and other factors come into play...those have always had science involved. Back when I went through sniper school, a lot of calculations were part of the course...still are.

Dosent seem to apply to my 18 y/o.... he can't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away and hes practicing with me a lot. At first I thought there was something off about his 1911 but I tried it a few times now and hit my 8" gong at 25yards no problem with every shot. Even showed him where he has to aim and all that.

I think its not all about "practice makes you better"...you gotta have some talent to begin with lol

Dosent seem to apply to my 18 y/o.... he can't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away and hes practicing with me a lot. At first I thought there was something off about his 1911 but I tried it a few times now and hit my 8" gong at 25yards no problem with every shot. Even showed him where he has to aim and all that.

I think its not all about "practice makes you better"...you gotta have some talent to begin with lol
Buy that boy a sword.

Because grenades are too much paperwork

It's the new math these kids are being taught. Poor kid can't line up 3 dots. Get 'im a red dot - only gotta get to 1 with those.

It's the new math these kids are being taught. Poor kid can't line up 3 dots. Get 'im a red dot - only gotta get to 1 with those.
I told him 10 times, like the 3 dots up and COVER the target with it.

Red dot hmmm... on the 1911 I gotta see if they have a mount for that!

Shooting IS a 'scientific' process. Pure and simple. The truth is pretty much everything in the physical world can be broken down to mathematics and/or biology. Some are just bigger geeks about it than others. Even at the a basic level we use terms like "foot pounds of energy" and "feet per second", we calculate trajectories.

Its the only shooting I do. I dont train. I dont compete. Half of my guns have never been sighted in. Just out there having fun. Weird.

Not weird at all.

Just reminiscent of the days when shooting was an outdoor sport, hunting, target shooting etc. And now it has become an ugly part of life, with shootings and killings now almost daily.

Personally, I find training in the martial use of firearms to be a whole lot of fun otherwise I wouldn't do it, let alone pay for it and dedicate time to it.

There's always been killing, the MSM just loves to exploit these days.

Agree with the OP, regardless of what shooting discipline your practicing everything should be the same.
Im not against just "having fun" (plinking?) but I find its more fun learning to improve a more practical skill.

Just out there having fun. Weird.
I'm the same. I am recreational. I shoot because I CAN and it is enjoyable. When I compete, it's for enjoyment as well. That and $h1t talking with the guys in my squad. Even the state champ, who usually places 1st in our squad and is a clear 10 seconds faster in combined times, looks to be enjoying himself when we shoot at TCGC.

I try not to judge those that train and train hard. Many enjoy this as much as I enjoy recreational activities. Sadly, I do believe some are sold on the idea they need a ton of training to survive the unknown futures that may or may not exist. It's a multi million dollar industry. Even I bought into it at a younger time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with training and even "tactical" training. Though I am fairly amused how that word is grossly misused these days. Though, I'd be tempted to attend a tactical rimfire coarse if one ever popped up.

Watch his eyes when he shoots. My oldest daughter was like this and I could not figure it out for the longest time. Turns out she is cross eye dominant.

The way I see it..
Instruction and training can allow you to build skills to practice whatever you are doing with better efficiency and results.
I don't view practice and real usage as two different things.
You are always practicing something.
If it's new and unusual to you, you just start out slow and methodical until you become accustomed to it is all.

How well and how fast you practice using a firearm is just training and repetition, whether punching holes in paper or run and gun.

Just goofing off and blasting away with ammo is another thing and something we've all probably done. Or used to anyway..
But with the way things have been It's been quite a while since I just blasted away to make some noise.
Now days I have goals lined up when I go and make every shot count for something.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top