JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My gal wants me to teach her to shoot, too... I'm thinking the same thing I used to do with the young ladies from my college days, start with Airsoft and once proven safe on that THEN we'll see about WCA's International Challenge or finding her other ways to legally get around the Alien Firearms License.

She's been starting to talk about wanting to build her own AR too... what's funny is that she's not just a Canuck but from one of the most pinko-infested parts of Toronto. (Her dad is an old-school RCAF vet from before they castrated them into today's politically correct amalgamated Armed Forces, though, so it may be that influence... though this one means a hunting license to be eligible to purchase, and since she won't be able to take it home figuring out how I can store it for her under 594. Maybe a lock that only she has the key for, or His & Hers arms-lockers?)

I was going to try to write something smart about you can't teach/"train" anybody anything.. but then I'd have to get into qualifying statements and whatall. You know.. voicing a "universal". Circular yap. so I did that there quip.
Indeed, for someone to become a master, they don't need "training".. nothing
anyway, I'm sure this has all been talked about before and is just a simple human condition about anything under the sun.

I hear you.. and who's not good at that.?. standing hipshot and mouthing da kine?
But it all still stands that anyone that is good, made themselves so.
True. All you can do is try to provide a supportive environment and suggest ideas... my own technique was always "no, *I* won't teach you... you're gonna teach yourself, but I'll be there to help you do it."

True. All you can do is try to provide a supportive environment and suggest ideas... my own technique was always "no, *I* won't teach you... you're gonna teach yourself, but I'll be there to help you do it."
Indeed, same with anything. Granny Clampett just kept a pot a beans on?

Last Edited:
Since you are in Bend, perhaps connecting her with Lady Hawks out at COSSA would be a great connection. I long ago invited my wife to shoot "with" me. She always wanted to know what my "secrets" were. From there we built. She is a force to be reckoned with and always looks forward to new drills. Good thing 9mm ammo is "affordable." There are a number of great training facilities available. We enjoy Front Sight.... when we can afford to get down there.

I made a training outline prior to heading to the range. I tried to make it in progressive stages. For example, I listed stance then went over everything involved, then grip, etc. prior to us going out she was able to draw and shoot but it was slow and inconsistent. During the training I made it fun but still serious. It helped that she took it seriously and put forth her best effort. She made great progress and we kept adding a drill after a certain skill was covered. I'm happy with her performance and it's something we can always go over when we head to the range. I think we can communicate well and when teaching her we avoided arguing and someone becoming frustrated. I'm also lucky enough that I train people in shooting and tactics for work so it was easy enough. I didn't want her being taught by someone else since I believe I know what works and what's realistic. Over all we both enjoyed it and its something we can both enjoy. I forgot to mention that we used one of the private bays at COSSA.

I've decided to teach my wife how to shoot. She already has some of the basics down. Meaning, she knows how a gun works (she can load, fire it, and pass some Federal quals) and gun safety. I just want to get her more proficient at the fundamentals and then move into what most advanced classes would cover. Since its usually harder to teach a family member I've written a training outline with corresponding drills for each topic covered. This starts with the fundamentals a progressively adds skills. Anyone here tried to teach their significant other how to shoot?
I see there's an Appleseed event coming up Dec. 10-11. I highly recommend this. It's rifle training, but everything applies to handgun. Go and set yourselves apart from one another. It's an amazing experience. I'm very grateful for having had the opportunity to learn from the one event I went to.

I see there's an Appleseed event coming up Dec. 10-11. I highly recommend this. It's rifle training, but everything applies to handgun. Go and set yourselves apart from one another. It's an amazing experience. I'm very grateful for having had the opportunity to learn from the one event I went to.

I think it's great that there are these types of training events to get people up to speed with the basics. It's not something I would go to but I would recommend it for novice shooters.

I would still pass. I have the basics down. If I was going to attend training with limited time I would go with something a bit different. I'm also in Iraq right now so I can't make it.

Last Edited:
If the question is, "What would be worse than trying to teach my (wife----girlfriend) how to drive?"
My answer would be, "teach her how to shoot."

Aside from an extraordinary relationship in which you are also extraordinarily gifted as an instructor, any money spent in sending her to a female-friendly professionally instructed series of lessons would pay for itself many times over in preserving your relationship or at least not harming it.

This thread should have ended right here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top