JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a topic close to my heart! My Wife comes from a country where there is no personal freedoms, and naturally, no firearms! Thankfully when she studied to become a U.S. citizen, part of her desire in that was to learn to shoot, and to protect and defend the 2nd as one very important part of her "new" B.O.R. AS a newly minted citizen, she took a pro active approach to learning all she could. After many long conversations, she decided to take a few Female Friendly classes on her own on the condition that once she had completed them, she and I would both attend a class or two together so we would both be on the same page! She took this to heart, made her own choices and we both benefited! Let her progress at her own pace, let her ask all the questions she wants, and be a supportive person! In this, you will have a life long (hopefully) shooting partner who will always have your back, gun or no gun, The way it should be!

This is a topic close to my heart! My Wife comes from a country where there is no personal freedoms, and naturally, no firearms! Thankfully when she studied to become a U.S. citizen, part of her desire in that was to learn to shoot, and to protect and defend the 2nd as one very important part of her "new" B.O.R. AS a newly minted citizen, she took a pro active approach to learning all she could. After many long conversations, she decided to take a few Female Friendly classes on her own on the condition that once she had completed them, she and I would both attend a class or two together so we would both be on the same page! She took this to heart, made her own choices and we both benefited! Let her progress at her own pace, let her ask all the questions she wants, and be a supportive person! In this, you will have a life long (hopefully) shooting partner who will always have your back, gun or no gun, The way it should be!

Wow... I bet she doesn't regret it for one second getting out of the Republic of California!

:D

I've been working with my wife for several years now. She never really shot guns until we became a couple (5 years ago). She enjoys it, and prefers my 77/22WMR over anything else but she will shoot handguns as well. She is VERY recoil sensitive and leans into the shot causing her to shoot below the plate. It drives me crazy but she is open minded and doesn't care that I spend a bit of my free time here so I consider that a "keeper".

I agree is all depends on your situation and relationship.

My fiancé and I learned to handle and shoot firearms at the same time. I too am blessed that she's naturally a better shot than I am. She's a southpaw and uncomfortable with most rifles, but fires handguns well.

As time has gone on and I've put more effort into my proficiency, I generally applaud her work and give her small pointers to try. Her nature that she will try something new and keep doing it if it works. I'm also fortunate that we almost always shoot with individuals that are more proficient than either one of us- if somebody else can offer her advice in our group it comes for a position of greater clout than I can offer.

Best of luck to you both, I'm rooting for you!

My husband and I have a good relationship and can both accept constructive criticism. However, I tried several times to teach him some fundamentals. He's comfortable with guns and has shot a large variety of styles and calibers, but no one ever taught him the basics of stance, grip, trigger control, etc.
I'm by no means an expert, far from it, but I do know enough to offer tips to improve these things.
My experience was not a positive one and we decided on the rare occasion he goes shooting with me I'll accept his disinterest in improving shot placement. Drives me crazy so I usually just go by myself. It works better when he doesn't go anyway because he doesn't need to know if any new firearms have jumped in to my safe without his knowledge.
I don't know if there are gender role issues at play here so YMMV.

My husband and I have a good relationship and can both accept constructive criticism. However, I tried several times to teach him some fundamentals. He's comfortable with guns and has shot a large variety of styles and calibers, but no one ever taught him the basics of stance, grip, trigger control, etc.
I'm by no means an expert, far from it, but I do know enough to offer tips to improve these things.
My experience was not a positive one and we decided on the rare occasion he goes shooting with me I'll accept his disinterest in improving shot placement. Drives me crazy so I usually just go by myself. It works better when he doesn't go anyway because he doesn't need to know if any new firearms have jumped in to my safe without his knowledge.

A female that feels a lot of our pains:). Glad it's not just the 'guys' having those issues.

Ah, we men are sensitive creatures when it comes to taking criticism when we ought to be better than we are. I'm sure gender roles only enhances that.

Luckily for us, it was pretty clear from the beginning that she was a better natural shot than me... naturally I'm just not as steady or focused mentally as she is--- look, there's something neat! She, on the other hand is calm and focused by nature. She plans the wedding and I have grandiose pipe dream ideas that I express while she's trying to make a sincere decision. Such is the balancing act.

After a series of missteps on my part took my wife to OFA and we trained together. Starting with me taking the basic handgun safety class with her. She got her CCW, then we took Defensive Handgun 1 together. We both have a common frame of reference for communication at the range.

You don't.

You have somebody else. Seriously. Spouses don't instruct spouses.

I'll be attempting this next month and I'll let you know how it goes. She already is versed in gun handling / safety. I just need to improve her accuracy, speed, and basic weapons manipulation. She has her CCW but I want her to be more prepared if she were ever to have to use it for self defense. I made a good training outline with the things I want to cover and shooting drills related to each subject. It starts at the beginning and builds on one another.

My wife is not too interested in learning to shoot.
But she does know how to operate every gun I own.
Always good to teach the person you live with how to check and clear any firearms that they may come into contact with.

She also has a good notion of current market values of what firearms I have .
If I were to die before her , I wouldn't want her to be taken advantage of.
As in " Awww I'll give you $200 for that old rifle , no one really likes those old guns ..."
Andy

I took a lot of shortcuts with my wife! LOL!!!
Her dad and big brother taught her to shoot! I just enjoyed the benefits. She's a good shot,too! Safe and accurate, her brother is USMC, so a pretty structured situation!
I would generally come down on the don't do it side, unless you have a particularly strong relationship!
You sound like you know what you're doing, so two words.
No and never! Don't use those! ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top