JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to teach my wife how to shoot. She already has some of the basics down. Meaning, she knows how a gun works (she can load, fire it, and pass some Federal quals) and gun safety. I just want to get her more proficient at the fundamentals and then move into what most advanced classes would cover. Since its usually harder to teach a family member I've written a training outline with corresponding drills for each topic covered. This starts with the fundamentals a progressively adds skills. Anyone here tried to teach their significant other how to shoot?

Not knowing what the nature of your relationship is, it's impossible to give an informed opinion here. Maybe this is a fine idea.

I have seen apparent boyfriends or husbands trying to instruct their partners at the range and it was terrible. Overbearing, ridiculously regimented, nit-picking hectoring. I was amazed that the women put up with it.

If the question is, "What would be worse than trying to teach my (wife----girlfriend) how to drive?"
My answer would be, "teach her how to shoot."

Aside from an extraordinary relationship in which you are also extraordinarily gifted as an instructor, any money spent in sending her to a female-friendly professionally instructed series of lessons would pay for itself many times over in preserving your relationship or at least not harming it.

Yeah I agree with most...pay someone else to do it.
After she has finished classes go shooting and see if what she learned elsewhere lines up with your thinking. If so she will have more faith in you and your abilities, if not you can discuss and hopefully both learn from it.

I have done some training with my wife. I train people as part of my day to day duties, so I've learned over many years how to train others in a variety of subjects. But training a spouse is different. I purposefully limit what I try to teach and correct, focusing on fundamentals. I have ask shared what I have learned in shooting courses so she can see what I've done. And she has been a good student along the way - but our relationship is good that way too - plenty of mutual respect. She's coming to the time where taking a course would be a good idea.

I would draw the line at more advanced topics or any serious scrutiny of technique - it's just better to leave that to the pros. I don't mind teaching anyone the basics, but there is a time when you should transition to a well qualified instructor.

There were some good replies here. When I mentioned advanced classes I was referring to shooting on the move, shooting from cover, etc. I'm confident in my ability to teach and the tactics involved as its my job. I thing the best advice so far has been to tone down the critiques and limit what is taught. I will let you know how is goes in August. Thanks again for the advice.

My wife is too independent-minded to be taught anything. She's one of those people who have to figure it out themselves. In fact my son is the same way. Sometimes you just have to wait until they ask, and hope they have the sense to ask soon enough. The marriage relationship has enough problems even without gun training being included.

My wife's a naturally good shot thankfully.

I taught her the fundamentals but she has no interest in move and shoot drills which I respect.

Our home defense plan is for her to be hunkered down behind our oak water bed with a shotgun pointed at the door and hall - this protects our grown kid as well.

She knows to shoot anything that moves unless I've given the all clear.

Out of the house,I carry and she doesn't so her roll then would be to find shelter until I can get her out and safe.

Now, most of that doesn't pertain but what did hit a red flag for me reading this is the comment about having someone else train her and then adjust her training to fit with you. IMHO if your going to have someone else train her then I would take the same class at the same time so you know first hand what advice she was given.

I (RE) started mine with a CO2 pistol in a range I built in my garage. This is after scaring her years ago by letting her shoot my .38 Spl. Chief. :rolleyes:

After the ball of fire rolled out of that short barrel,:eek: it has taken years for her to shoot a firearm again with her eyes open.:(

Lately she has graduated to practicing with a compact 9mm fitted with a .22 conversion and says it is just like using the pellet gun.:)

I told her if she ever has to use it in 9mm, adrenaline will kick in and she will never notice the difference.;)

My wife's a naturally good shot thankfully.

I taught her the fundamentals but she has no interest in move and shoot drills which I respect.

Our home defense plan is for her to be hunkered down behind our oak water bed with a shotgun pointed at the door and hall - this protects our grown kid as well.

She knows to shoot anything that moves unless I've given the all clear.

Out of the house,I carry and she doesn't so her roll then would be to find shelter until I can get her out and safe.

Now, most of that doesn't pertain but what did hit a red flag for me reading this is the comment about having someone else train her and then adjust her training to fit with you. IMHO if your going to have someone else train her then I would take the same class at the same time so you know first hand what advice she was given.
My point wasn't to adjust her training after the fact but to allow her to get more objective training up front. Expectations change for both the student and the instructor when there is a deep personal connection involved. Once the training is done you can then both confidently discuss what parts are most important to you and your family and can work together to improve those areas.

Last Edited:
My point wasn't to adjust her training after the fact but to allow her to get more subjective training up front. Expectations change for both the student and the instructor when there is a deep personal connection involved. Once the training is done you can then both confidently discuss what parts are most important to you and your family and can work together to improve those areas.

Nicely said sir;).

I didnt mean to misinterpret your OP and maybe worded my thoughts poorly.

I don't have the right way to phase what I am trying to convey at this time but will see what I can come up with and revisit this thread a little later.

My approach was to insure that 1) it was objectively delivered vs. biased by our years of marriage and relationship, and, 2) she would be more receptive to an objective third party than being told to do something by me. Heck, she says I don't listen to her. Well, it goes both ways, ya know? :rolleyes:

There were some good replies here. When I mentioned advanced classes I was referring to shooting on the move, shooting from cover, etc. I'm confident in my ability to teach and the tactics involved as its my job. I thing the best advice so far has been to tone down the critiques and limit what is taught. I will let you know how is goes in August. Thanks again for the advice.

To really streamline my advice: don't do it. :)

I guess I forgot about the few years we played paintball together. Took 4th out of 16 two man teams at an armature event once. I had taught her to shoot before that though and it was the first time she had shot a gun.

Nothing as reactive a target as a big pain and the bruise that goes with it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top