JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here you go I had to go back and find pictures.lol
My niece and nephew years ago and now.
They just want bigger guns .
And bigger trucks.
Lol. IMAG0158.jpg Photo0175.jpg 7176.jpeg 7177.jpeg

Scopes are fine for the high power pellet guns.
But you might want to check out a cheap red rider bb gun .
To so they can learn how to use iron sights.
Also .
Just a little bit of my two cents .
Lol I scopes and red dots on almost all my guns .
But I have a few with iron sights.

This Remington has NICE sights, albeit Trijicon sights, but the principle is similar. Once they get the rules, how-to-hold, aiming, and trigger control down I can remove the scope and teach them how use the sights. As one subscriber already mentioned, baby steps are important. I don't want to confuse or scare them away from firearms use.

I wish my Dad had brought me along with guns from a young age, but I've caught up now

And caught up we have. Although he grew up on the farm in Iowa, my dad wasn't a gun guy. He fought in WW2 - using four 50's and a 20mm in the nose of his fighter plane. He was issued a 1911 .45, turned it back in shortly after he got to his combat unit. He didn't want to carry any extra gear on him, flew in the Pacific in a T-shirt. Much of his flying was on long over-water flights, he figured a .45 wouldn't do him any good for swimming.

We never had guns in our home when I was a child. I'm pretty sure my dad never owned a gun of his own. At about age 10 or 11, my dad borrowed a cousin's .22 rifle and we went shooting a few times in the desert. When I got to my teenage years, my own desires and resources took over and it's been gung-ho on guns since then. Qualifying age to buy guns wasn't well adhered to. There were enough guns floating around that we kids could buy under age what we wanted.

Here is a picture of my dad around 1967 shooting one of my Luger pistols. Note the one handed hold; other hand on hip. I think maybe that's how they taught officers to shoot the .45 back in the day?

D7KPEIL.png

And caught up we have. Although he grew up on the farm in Iowa, my dad wasn't a gun guy. He fought in WW2 - using four 50's and a 20mm in the nose of his fighter plane. He was issued a 1911 .45, turned it back in shortly after he got to his combat unit. He didn't want to carry any extra gear on him, flew in the Pacific in a T-shirt. Much of his flying was on long over-water flights, he figured a .45 wouldn't do him any good for swimming.

We never had guns in our home when I was a child. I'm pretty sure my dad never owned a gun of his own. At about age 10 or 11, my dad borrowed a cousin's .22 rifle and we went shooting a few times in the desert. When I got to my teenage years, my own desires and resources took over and it's been gung-ho on guns since then. Qualifying age to buy guns wasn't well adhered to. There were enough guns floating around that we kids could buy under age what we wanted.

Here is a picture of my dad around 1967 shooting one of my Luger pistols. Note the one handed hold; other hand on hip. I think maybe that's how they taught officers to shoot the .45 back in the day?

View attachment 618779
Yes, it was how many were taught in the Military then. You used to see a lot of pictures from that era of guys shooting a 1911 just like that.

Don't move up fast. Pellet gun then .22 then go up. Going from .22 to 308. To much.

BB rifle, pellet rifle, .22lr bolt action and semi-auto rifle, .22wmr lever action rifle, .22lr pistol, 9mm carbine, .223 single shot rifle, .223 semi-auto rifle, .308 bolt action rifle is the order in which I introduced the grandsons to guns. The youngest just turned 11, but he has been shooting .22 since the summer before he turned 8. They were all anxious to move up faster than I was willing to go.

One bullet at a time, so they knew how to load as well as me coaching on their hold, sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc. Multiple rounds when they show competence. Reactive targets. Breaks to clean up and have some treats. They've all had a chance to try shooting .38 revolver and 9mm pistol to satisfy their curiosity. But other than the .22lr Ruger pistol, they'll only be shooting long arms until they are older.

BB rifle, pellet rifle, .22lr bolt action and semi-auto rifle, .22wmr lever action rifle, .22lr pistol, 9mm carbine, .223 single shot rifle, .223 semi-auto rifle, .308 bolt action rifle is the order in which I introduced the grandsons to guns. The youngest just turned 11, but he has been shooting .22 since the summer before he turned 8. They were all anxious to move up faster than I was willing to go.

I LOVE hearing about youngsters hungry to shoot more and learn more, and faster. Shows they have a real interest in the sport which is what we need. More of them taking to it instead of being scared to death to ever even try!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top