JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a new Remington Vantage 1200 pellet gun and started training my grandkids this afternoon about firearm safety, use, and practice.

They've been curious lately and asking questions. Needless to say, the school system is not able to do this well without inserting all the erroneous "gun drama" coming out of politics and the media.

Grandad's house is the best place to properly answer their questions and build the safety and practice for a lifetime of firearm use. ;)

IMG_20190920_162044966_HDR.jpg

Last Edited:
I've been doing the same thing with my grandson Anthony. I bought him a youth size .22 that he's been getting pretty good with.

My father was in the Pacific Theater in WW2. After that experience he did not initially want firearms in the home. I got my first .22 at 15 (I've still got it), and that was the only firearm I had experience with until after I got married and held field-oriented job in Alaska, which precipitated buying a Ruger Super Redhawk and a Rem 7mm Mag (for the complete Alaska experience). Then my rabid firearms experience started when I was posted in eastern Oregon where nearly everyone has many firearms for different purposes.

I wish my Dad had brought me along with guns from a young age, but I've caught up now and want my grandkids to understand firearms safety and appreciate them as tools used in rewarding outdoor recreational activities. Many young people these days from "the city" have never dressed out an animal that puts meat on the table.

When the grandkids were running around with toy guns, with their fingers off the trigger, I knew the 4 safety lessons were starting to take hold. Started out with a BB gun in the backyard. The youngest had a hard time staying focused and got sent inside several times for sweeping the rest of us with the muzzle. He just turned 11 last week and put 15 rounds through a .308 the last time we went shooting. [He decided the .223 was easier on his shoulder.]

When I asked the three grandsons which gun they liked best, all picked something different. But the youngest one added, 'the .22 are easiest to shoot but I like the bigger guns because they are POWERFUL.' He's the one in the red shirt. The older ones are 12 and 13. 08-06-2019c.jpg

The NRA Whittington Center has a program called the Adventure Camp each year. Kids age 13-18 go through Basic Training with Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns. That takes place the First Week while the Second Week they go over the Hill and learn what it's like to be in a Hunting Camp. They sleep in Tents and cook their meals over a camp fire. They do a Camera Hunt and many of them come back with some very remarkably good pictures. One of the Staff Members "Dispatches" a fairly large Pig and the Campers are given a chance to Dress out the Critter. The next day they have a fresh Pork Lunch. The Campers are also given the chance to have Liver, Heart and other Organ parts including "Sweetbreads". The Campers and Staff ENJOY a Great Time and many Staff Members return to enjoy the Adventure over and over again! There are restrictions on returning Campers but since they have Junior Staff Members some do return to enjoy the Adventure.

I got a new Remington Vantage 1200 pellet gun and started training my grandkids this afternoon about firearm safety, use, and practice.

They've been curious lately and asking questions. Needless to say, the school system is not able to do this well without inserting all the erroneous "gun drama" coming out of politics and the media.

Grandad's house is the best place to properly answer their questions and build the safety and practice for a lifetime of firearm use. ;)

View attachment 618481
LOVE IT!!! We need all the young people involved in shooting we can get!!!

Good job.
There is another thread about teaching the next generation to shoot.
You should check out .
Might get some tips.
It's a good thing you start them young.
My two cents.
Don't move up fast .
Pellet gun then .22 then go up.
If you jump up too quickly it will scare them away.
Example.
Going from .22 to 308.
To much.

Not my granddaughter .
We did the 22 first.
But she didn't like it .
We should have started with bb gun.
She got scared.
But luckily I or we didn't force her to shoot.
She tried 2 shots with the 22 and that was it.
So we bought a bb gun and started over .

Lol when I go out Shooting with my nephew and niece and there friends.
I don't really shoot .
I basically spend the day watching or teaching .
And now that they are older I load mags.
And they shoot.hehehe

Scopes are fine for the high power pellet guns.
But you might want to check out a cheap red rider bb gun .
To so they can learn how to use iron sights.
Also .
Just a little bit of my two cents .
Lol I scopes and red dots on almost all my guns .
But I have a few with iron sights.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top