JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
*AAR

Just ran the tactical carbine class with 4 serious dudes at one chance tactical solutions.

We all had kit, either chest rigs or plates, and pushed through the heat.

Drills:

Up drills-paper

Target Transitions-paper

Height over bore- paper

Shooting on the move-steel

Stand-kneel-prone at 25-50-100 -steel

Barricade work+ movement and support side all on steel.

Reloads and transitions to pistol-paper

Tac reloads and emergency reloads-steel

Overall Tom lets people dictate the pace of the class, and we all were eager to run extra reps and compete, so I burned through 700 rds.

Lessons learned:

Tac reloads -my skills here were 0, I learned a lot of theory but need to apply via dry fire training.

Emergency reloads- skills here I Thought I had, and had actually practiced, but they fell apart under stress and exhaustion. Tom gave me solid instruction here to tuck the stock into my armpit. I will have to reprogram on my own via practice.

Slings! I got tangled up in my sling twice. Going to run it shorter and swim out to transition to support side, or run a Dring on my right shoulder to keep it up.

Shooting on the move- again, I thought I knew theory here, but had to learn it "for real" and it started to come together towards the end for me.

Shooting Both eyes open- just like the pistol class, I was too lazy to learn this beforehand, but trial by fire I had to figure out for the class, and made a lot of progress.

Just like the pistol class, I felt like I cut away a lot of lazy bullbubblegum, tore down some of my bad habits, and will rebuild myself with practice into a 10x better shooter using the theory and skills learned.

-Taco

Edit: I will post Imgur links once I get them.

Last Edited:
Excellent "debrief", sounds like it was a great class. Good to put the variety of drills into practice, well done id'ing things to work on, one of the bennies of taking a class (self-improvement well after the class has ended). Nice pics too! Cheers -

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, how long was the course?

8 hours, with about 7 hours of shooting or watching others shoot ( you learn a lot seeing other people fail or succeed) I enjoyed seeing how the marine moved between cover. Very low, stable, and controlled.

Pretty hot, sore and tired after it, but it was my choice to wear plates. You can just shove some mags in a belt pouch or pocket if you choose. Tom directs the class depending on the people, attitudes, and kit, and since we were all kinda tacticooled out he had us run more reload drills.

One of the guys running the class was probably 250 lbs and 50-60 .
Okay... I'm waiting for that guy to fall out.

I'm kidding, of course...

... but if he did fall out, it would be a good excuse to down water (aka: hydrate) and stop running while rendering aid to a fallen comrade...

I'm 52, 6', 175#... I work for a living and I still think that course would kick my azz just by looking at it...
I'm not as good as I once was...
But I'm as good once, as I ever was...

Okay... I'm waiting for that guy to fall out.

I'm kidding, of course...

... but if he did fall out, it would be a good excuse to down water (aka: hydrate) and stop running while rendering aid to a fallen comrade...

I'm 52, 6', 175#... I work for a living and I still think that course would kick my azz just by looking at it...
I'm not as good as I once was...
But I'm as good once, as I ever was...
I had typed out more and it got deleted. You only have to put out the effort you can/want too. A few of us pushed real hard and some took it slower. You can also do it in fall.

If you are even considering it I would reach out to TOM and exoress your concerns. I garentee it won't be an issue.

[email protected]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads