JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a seven year old English Lab who is smart as a whip. I am curious if older dogs can be trained to hunt, and what are the risks to injury. My wife would not want her going birdhunting with me if the risk to being shot is high.

="G8rHunter, post: 2179357, member: 52911"]My wife would not want her going birdhunting with me if the risk to being shot is high.[/QUOTE]

This is NOT a dog training issue it's an OWNER training issue. Ground sluicing, shooting low birds and just bad gun handling is why dogs get shot and its ON THE OWNER.

As for whether your seven year old lab can be trained to hunt, it depends on it's prey drive and what issues it may have acquired so far (ie gun shyness, hard mouth, obedience issues, etc..) and how much time and effort would be needed to correct them, if they can be corrected at all. Generally at that age it isn't going to be worth it. Better off getting a puppy or a started dog.

As for injury risks for bird dogs its mostly cuts from sticks, barbed wire etc.. Porcupines, skunks, snakes, snares/traps, cars, other dogs and pretty much anything else dangerous that a dog might come across.

Last Edited:
Something to consider is noise sensitivity, older dogs tend to already know what they like and what gets them spooked. If the dog has never been around firearms it would be near impossible to train, not that it can't be done. But could take along time of daily work to change the mind set in a dog. I just got a new 7 year old dog 3 months ago. I have worked with it each day for a few hours so that's a few hundred hours just to break some old habits it had. Its a good smart dog, but breaking a dog of a bad habits is easier then teaching it a new job. My dog is now a very good dog but I didn't change its abilities, I just changed its decision making.

I am sure it could be done but as above it will depend on the natural instincts of the dog. All my fowling has been done with dogs trained from a young age. I have no illusions of successfully making our current rescue lab a hunter. He is too used to the easy life and has claimed the leather chair in my man cave.

C35DD661-400F-49C1-AC24-7EDFE4F890EC.jpeg

I have a seven year old English Lab who is smart as a whip. I am curious if older dogs can be trained to hunt, and what are the risks to injury. My wife would not want her going birdhunting with me if the risk to being shot is high.

This is NOT a dog training issue it's an OWNER training issue. Ground sluicing, shooting low birds and just bad gun handling is why dogs get shot and its ON THE OWNER.

As for whether your seven year old lab can be trained to hunt, it depends on it's prey drive and what issues it may have acquired so far (ie gun shyness, hard mouth, obedience issues, etc..) and how much time and effort would be needed to correct them, if they can be corrected at all. Generally at that age it isn't going to be worth it. Better off getting a puppy or a started dog.

^^^This^^^

I agree. Long time hunting dog owner and former president of the local German Shorthair club.

The priority would be whether the dog is birdy (prey drive). Is it interested in birds? Have you had it out where there are ducks, pheasants, etc? How does it respond?

Second is whether the dog is gun shy... does no good to get it out if it runs back to the pickup and hides underneath.

Other issues can be met, but yes it is much better to provide a good foundation from the youth of a dog.

Are you going to be waterfowl hunting primarily? Your dog needs to retrieve birds from water... it takes a dog with a lot of stamina. Will it be mostly pheasant hunting? It helps to have a dog that will flush and then root out downed wounded birds that will try to hide.

Best short book is "Gun Dog" if it is still available. Read as many books and articles from knowledgable (sp) sources as you can before you start. Training MUST be done correctly or neither you nor your dog will be happy.

Edit: It takes at least two years for an AMATEUR to fully train up a retriever. That said, with a younger dog, some proficiency can be had in a few months or six months. Professional trainers often get quicker results, but it's very expensive!!!

Thanks everyone, great posts. If I use her, it would be for grouse and pheasant hunting. She has great energy for 7 and I use a certain voice that makes her freeze, alert, and point. Whether she could be effective in the field may be a whole different matter. She has learned a slew of words. She specifically knows rabbit and bird and eaten them. My biggest concern may be that she would not yield up the snack. BTW, I took her to Wildcat to target practice and she surprised me. She is not used to a 12 gauge and didn't seem rattled whatsoever! Ultimately, the wife casts the yea or nay vote. A Christmas puppy from 7 years ago. Again, great remarks and I will benefit from your experiences.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top