JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me, this sounds like the 'Swiss Model' of service and training. I agree with it personally, but I don't think a mandatory service would pass constitutional muster. But like any other service, I think it should be a readily available viable option made available to every citizen. One could argue that that's the 2ndA, but has become interpreted pretty distantly from that now.

Close too it but I wouldn't be for required service after school.

Some people can kill and others can not - why force them into something they can't handle.

The first couple years could be just air guns to keep it cheaper but parents are not teaching the kids how to use a gun or a screwdriver anymore.

I'd rather kids learn about firearms then 4 years of English classes that only a small percentage will use in their lifetime (as well as a foreign language). I'd bring music classes back though.

You do realize that this is a classic example of Statist infiltration/Create a Problem and then define the "Solution"; the Final Solution?
Quite possible, especially since it's basically illegal to form a para-military group (I know that's a head scratcher, but I do recall in exploring getting certified as a Firearms Instructor, there are many cautions to keep the training under the auspices of personal defense because some such law, which I can't cite its source at the moment.) If a group of citizens went to DHS and said 'we want recognition as a domestic defense organization' they probably wonder 'well why don't you join the Nat'l Guard, a LEA", etc. Unsanctioned independent para military organized in the states could, these days, lead to 'domestic terrorist organization' designation in government's eyes if their not at the reigns of such an organization.

Last Edited:
Close too it but I wouldn't be for required service after school.

Some people can kill and others can not - why force them into something they can't handle.

The first couple years could be just air guns to keep it cheaper but parents are not teaching the kids how to use a gun or a screwdriver anymore.

I'd rather kids learn about firearms then 4 years of English classes that only a small percentage will use in their lifetime (as well as a foreign language). I'd bring music classes back though.
Yep, music, and stronger vocational courses, independent study recognition/options. The drivers/health ed requirement (at least when I was in highschool) should have a whole module of firearm safety and basic competance.

I think the very opposite is called for: to maintain the integrity and autonomy of any such organization it must primarily be not affiliated with the state.
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Bravo! Somebody has been paying attention! :)

since it's basically illegal to form a para-military group

Which is a pretty reliable indicator that it is something worth doing. We already commit three felonies per day, folks; what's a few more?

I think it would be a good idea to see a facility which offers training for citizens that is provided free of charge, even if the odds are against the the carrier proficient training in target engagement could be what turns the tables on the would be shooters. And as far as certain people being allowed to bypass GFZ's my feelings are that if its an open to the public building/facility weapons are not only permitted but encouraged because it strengthens the saftey of the people from all aspects.

This has been a topic of mine for quite some time, Why not model this like the Swiss? I have no serious ideas about this, but I see it like this; Add it into the last two years of high school. Make basic firearms training required as well as safety and education that is Pro 2nd. Basically teach how an armed citizenry has responsibilities and what those are! After High school, tie it in with selective service! You can join the Military, you can continue as a citizen watch group ( or call it what ever you like) you can join another agency like Law Enforcement, or emergency response. OR you enter into a work study group which extends your education to include work skills not learned in high school, with a focus on public service! If entering collage, you still have to maintain your armed qualifications! After your high school "service" graduation, you are allowed to purchase ( or better yet issued) A current service rifle, and have the option of also acquiring a service pistol! Following the Swiss, unless you purchased your own, you are to maintain your service arms until your end of service at the age of 65 ( make it what ever) and you turn in your arms, or, if issued, you have the option of purchasing them! I don't know if this is the right way to do this, but it makes sense to me to do something like this! The biggest part would be who over seen this program, my gut has always said it should be the ARMY ( at least the first part) then the Official Militia!

The Swiss model won't work here.

The Swiss have no world empire, nor any proclivities in that direction. The ruling class there is pretty close to the ruled; it's a government by cantons (essentially counties) after all. This means the rulers and ruled face pretty similar incentives. That is far from the case in America. American schools are for indoctrinating, not for educating. The government is certainly not going to let them be used to train children in liberty. For that you must homeschool.

Quite possible, especially since it's basically illegal to form a para-military group (I know that's a head scratcher, but I do recall in exploring getting certified as a Firearms Instructor, there are many cautions to keep the training under the auspices of personal defense because some such law, which I can't cite its source at the moment.) If a group of citizens went to DHS and said 'we want recognition as a domestic defense organization' they probably wonder 'well why don't you join the Nat'l Guard, a LEA", etc. Unsanctioned independent para military organized in the states could, these days, lead to 'domestic terrorist organization' designation in government's eyes if their not at the reigns of such an organization.
Wouldn't a state militia be labeled as a "domestic terrorist organization" by todays standards and current government definition?

I dont know enough about the State Militia to know how it works and who they are attached to, If any! In the past, they were"attached" to the U.S. military and were under the "leadership" of the State Adjunct General who was under the guidance of the State Governor and also the County Sheriff of what ever county was in need! Now days, I do not know!
nammac , I think your right with the labeling especially after the Dust Up back in Jan.

I dont know enough about the State Militia to know how it works and who they are attached to, If any! In the past, they were"attached" to the U.S. military and were under the "leadership" of the State Adjunct General who was under the guidance of the State Governor and also the County Sheriff of what ever county was in need! Now days, I do not know!
nammac , I think your right with the labeling especially after the Dust Up back in Jan.
Yes, this is the thing. People who are declared/known members of a known militia are on most kinds of government and private watch lists I'm pretty sure. Often but not always, they also have a specific orientation that is particularly offensive to some (white supremacists, et al) which deepens their monitoring.
If there was a precedent for a non-controversial (yeah, right), 'as intended' constitutionally congruent militia organization, that would be a source of information. Unfortunately there hasn't been for some time, that I know of; this of course is part of the overall issue of the 2A being eroded.
I think looking into historical documents about the formation of 'irregulars' units, militia men, etc. would be interesting and a good place to start; and then where needed to, contemporize the concept.
Just pontificating.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top