JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well i am wanting to pick up a few trail cameras to scout some areas for next year and i am looking for some opinions. i am hoping to pick up 2 or 3 of them and would like to spend 100$ or less on them due to funds and the fact that it wouldnt be too much of a loss if they got stolen.
are the cheaper trail cams even worth it or are they garbage?
any info would be greatly appreciated.

Blitz,

I bought one really good Cuddeback camera and several cheap cameras (watch Cabela's for the 2 for $99 specials). The Cudde is awesome but really expensive. The cheapies are good enough but tend to burn through batteries much faster (about a month per set). I use the cheap cameras for initial scouting and if an area has good traffic I'll swap it out for the Cudde to get down to business. The picture quality on the cheapies is pretty good and the price allows me to cover much more area.

Next time I check my cameras I'll get the makes and models if you're interested. And, much like you, I consider the cheap cameras disposable so I didn't get too upset when my neighbor accidentally backed his tractor into one while grabbing some large rocks from my property for his garden. ☺

Brian

Check out this page...
Trail Camera Reviews

That said..
I've had a dozen or so trail cameras, going back to 35mm film ones.
I've had some destroyed by Bull Elk that were annoyed by the flash.
Last year, I had a nice Wildgame Innovations cam that took great video and pics, but it got moisture in it somehow and went KAPUT.

I took these videos using this camera..
Amazon.com: Hunten Outdoors 26 LED 3.0 MP day/1.3 MP Night Infrared Flash Camera: Sports & Outdoors

The Hunten takes great stills and video, but has a rather slow trigger for typical game trail applications. It worked great under an apple tree, though.
[video=youtube_share;ZC3_wEhxaXk]http://youtu.be/ZC3_wEhxaXk[/video]

I just purchased one of these in search of a faster trigger. They seem well reviewed and such...We'll see.
NEW 2012 Moultrie 5.0 MP Infrared D-55IRXT Game Spy Digital hunting deer Camera | eBay

I hope this helped.

trailcambuck2012a.jpg

$150 at Dick's. Probably cheaper elsewhere, but I got a gift card.

Ok. Here's the list.

1 each - Wildview Extreme 2 - Bought 2 for $99 at Cabela's spring of 09 - Pros: cheap, ok picture quality, video capable - Cons: Very slow trigger speed, likes batteries, can't survive a tractor assault
Big Buck II.jpg

4 each - Stealth Cam STC-1530IR - ~$69 each at Cabela's last season - Pros: Cheap, better on batteries and pretty good picture quality - Cons: no video mode (only stills but can take multiple shots for each triggered event), slow trigger speed
Doe.jpg

1 each - Cuddeback Digital No Flash - >$300 at Cabela's 3 years ago - Pros: Very fast trigger speed, good image quality, picture and video for each triggered event, batteries last months - Cons: Relatively expensive
5x5 Buck.jpg

Hope this helps.

Big Buck II.jpg

Doe.jpg

5x5 Buck.jpg

yeah that is one thing i am worried about, i will just have to hide them good and most likely i will only use them when i am semi close by. camping or whatever, i figure if they are low enough to steal it they are low enough to smash it if they cant steal it so i am not too worried about locking it to a tree.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top