JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The WW II versions were supercharged for the power to carry the insane bomb loads they did and to get the 30,000 feet they needed. The current civilian versions are not supercharged per FAA regulation, but they neither carry even close to capacity loads.

I have never ridden in one, but have toured 909, Sentimental Journey, and the Madras Maiden, now The Ye Old Pub. Beautiful aircraft. Flying is still way safer than driving.

S'Kay! No worries!
So, what brought down a perfectly good flying B-17G with two of the most experienced B-17 pilots alive? B-17's are famous for flying with extraordinary amounts of damage, and even flying all the way back to England and landing safely on a single engine! This Plane and the two pilots should have had no troubles what so ever landing on a single engine out!
So far, evidence is inconclusive, BUT, it rules out a lot of speculation of likely issues that may have happened.
Engine #4 was declared to have a problem needing to land and be "Blow Out" suggesting it was oil fouled ( Very common on Radials)
Engine #4 has been identified and examined on scene, so far it appears to be in good shape, AND it shows that the pilot had feathered the prop and shut it down prior to landing. The Fuel tanks have been tested and the fuel is clean and correct. Filters to be determined upon further examination.

S'Kay! No worries!
So, what brought down a perfectly good flying B-17G with two of the most experienced B-17 pilots alive? B-17's are famous for flying with extraordinary amounts of damage, and even flying all the way back to England and landing safely on a single engine! This Plane and the two pilots should have had no troubles what so ever landing on a single engine out!
So far, evidence is inconclusive, BUT, it rules out a lot of speculation of likely issues that may have happened.
Engine #4 was declared to have a problem needing to land and be "Blow Out" suggesting it was oil fouled ( Very common on Radials)
Engine #4 has been identified and examined on scene, so far it appears to be in good shape, AND it shows that the pilot had feathered the prop and shut it down prior to landing. The Fuel tanks have been tested and the fuel is clean and correct. Filters to be determined upon further examination.

Interesting on the fuel, that was my first thought. Maybe a fuel pump (s) problem, tank selection problem. One engine out is no real problem, unless there was fuel delivery problem to the other engines.

Not going to say "Offically" but my thoughts are: Incorrect Propeller/Power setting with One engine out/prop feathered, too much flaps, to shallow/slow approach, failure to react and power up/go around! I'm thinking the Flight crew found themselves overwhelmed with passengers onboard and the situation at hand, and a minor issue became lethal! The ATC audio sort of bares this out, the Command Pilot was unclear in his needs/intentions/ condition of the aircraft, showing he was distracted! HUGE failures compounded by a simple situation! :eek:

No doubt, in the fullness of time, we'll ALL find out what happened to 909.

Here's pic I took of it when it visited us in Eugene in 2016.....................
1570452898218.png

:( x 1000

In aviation accidents with experienced pilots there is almost always a combination of factors that creates the conditions that result in the accident. It takes a detailed examination of the whole flight to bring out these factors and determine how they interacted to result in the outcome.

This is why airliners have extensive monitoring devices for performance, control inputs, and voice communications. It is harder when those monitors are not installed, but not impossible.

The crew was honoring those who fought for freedom, and gave all in doing so. May they be honored. :s0160:

Here's roughly 6 minutes of ATC.
When the initial call came in, requesting immediate landing, it was followed by 'when you get a chance'; apparently no impending crash at that point, rather a problem there was a process for.
Interesting that I queried a site I normally use for aviation incidents, Kathryn's Report, and they did have a report in the day or so after the crash but now I can't find it. It appears to have been scrubbed.

Here's roughly 6 minutes of ATC.
When the initial call came in, requesting immediate landing, it was followed by 'when you get a chance'; apparently no impending crash at that point, rather a problem there was a process for.
Interesting that I queried a site I normally use for aviation incidents, Kathryn's Report, and they did have a report in the day or so after the crash but now I can't find it. It appears to have been scrubbed.

In my flight training, when the term immediate was used that is exactly what it meant. My instructor told me if you are ever told to make an IMMEDIATE right turn, by the time ATC unkeys the mike you should be over on at least at 90 degree different heading, and showed me by laying that 172 on its side hard. So that to me means a very urgent need for such action.

That being said, to me that indicates that the problem had to be such that the need to get on the ground was greater than the process to go sort it out on some type of loiter pattern close by.

Yeah, that was the confusing part, why the pilot would add the 'when you get a chance, yeah' as a response to ATC asking if they needed an immediate landing. Seemed odd if there was an emergency. That jumped out at me. That was after the 'blow it out' part, indicating they already knew the engine problem and were handling it. At that point, things seemed well under control when entering the downwind. Obviously, things changed and the recording published either didn't have it or there was no communication.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top