JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yep, it's been about 5 years since my last radar ticket, and wouldn't you know it, last Friday evening I get pulled over on my way to Seaside. I was going out 26 in a slow drizzle, with wife and kids, not paying much attention to my speed. It's dark and wet, about 6 pm, so I didn't see the state trooper parked under the underpass behind the pillar. My wife says, "There was a cop back there." And sure enough, I see headlights turning onto the highway behind me about a 1/2 mile. I took my foot off the gas and coasted down to 58 or so.

The trooper follows me for about a mile. Wife wants to know what he's doing. I said he's probably waiting for a wide spot in the road before turning his lights on. Finally, that's what he does and I pull as far off as I can get, roll the window down, and put my hands on the wheel. Trooper comes up to the car with his flashlight on, pauses 3 feet back from my window, sees my hands and comes forward. He says he has me doing 74 in a 55. I said that's possible. He asks for the usual stuff. It's the wife's car so I let her find the registration and insurance stuff while I dig out my DL. I keep my CHL in the same slot as my DL, so I pull them both out and put the CHL back in right away. I'm sure he saw it. Otherwise I didn't mention the CHL and he didn't ask. He took my stuff and said he'd be right back.

After two or three minutes he comes back and says he's giving me a warning, slow down, and drive safely..."use your cruise control." Meanwhile the 7 yo in the back seat is asking if she can say hello to the trooper. My wife relays the request and rolls down the rear window behind me. The trooper introduces himself and hands her a stick-on state police badge. Everybody ends up smiling.

I don't know if the CHL had anything to do with getting a warning, or if the veteran's plates helped, but it's nice to avoid all that hassle. We were pretty much at the speed limit the rest of the weekend.

Because that's the right way to go about a traffic stop. A little common sense and a little common courtesy result in normal outcome and in the worst case you'd get a ticket

I got stopped doing 86 in a 65 zone out of McCloud cali by CHP. The little woman and I were both polite. He gave me a warning and now I watch my speed or never get in a hurry to pass.

Last Edited:
Sounds like that went about as well as it can possibly go. I prefer to be polite, follow the same procedure you noted - seems to make life much easier. It's been probably 10 years since my last stop, not eager to get one again since my last stop did garner a ticket, but then I was exceeding the limit, just a bit.

I got stopped doing 86 in a 65 zone out of McCloud cali 6 by CHP. The little woman and I were both polite. He gave me a warning and now I watch my speed or never get in a hurry to pass.
Back about 1996 doing about 130 at 3 am headed from Yreka to Weed on I-5 across the sagebrush flats. CHP headlights appear 2 miles back. Slowed to the speed limit without hitting the brakes. When he catches up and pulls me over he's positive I was going WAY fast but could not have clocked me. Lets me go with a warning. [WHEW!!!!]

Because that's the right way to go about a traffic stop. A little common sense and a little common courtesy result in normal outcome and in the worst case you'd get a ticket

I didnt get a ticket in this case....

Left the house and was goin for beer at xxxron. Came up to the stop sign and looked left without stopping. Sure as bubblegum theres a NP cop coming towards me to the R as I pulled out. I saw him flip a U in my rearview but was already turning in. By the time he pulled up to me I was 3/4 of the way in the store. He started screaming at me. I ignored him at first, even though I KNEW he was yellin at me....i just played it off, played dumb for a second. He told me to get back in my vehicle, which I did, and presented him with all my "documents". CHL being one of them. He also let me go with a stern warning....I no longer bubblegum around during stops. I KNEW for sure he was coming my way.

Probably didn't want the extra paperwork
Anything 20 mph and over is reckless isn't it?
Maybe thats why he said 74mph and not 75+.

Either way. They usually respond to the situation.
If your rude, dispute it, or look like a criminal things would go differently.

Veteran, family man, on a trip to the coast. Who wants to give them another bill.

Back in my youth I was pulled over twice (in the same spot!) about 6 mths apart. Doing 86+ in a 55. On 84 towards troutdale.
Both times I was let go with a warning.

Two times I got oulled over in Madras for expired plates, warning.
In those incidents they asked if I had weapons I told them yes, they asked where, I told them, and they just said don't reach for them.
It was a great interaction both times.

LEOs usually reflect the attitude their given.
A little respect goes a long way.

Back about 1996 doing about 130 at 3 am headed from Yreka to Weed on I-5 across the sagebrush flats. CHP headlights appear 2 miles back. Slowed to the speed limit without hitting the brakes. When he catches up and pulls me over he's positive I was going WAY fast but could not have clocked me. Lets me go with a warning. [WHEW!!!!]

Im pretty sure I posted about this years ago when it happened. Zombie post FOR SURE....

Winter of '09 I went down to Cali for Xmas. On my way back I had retrieved some "assault weapons" I had left down there with written permission from the state to transport them OUT of Cali. I know I was probably doing 100+ when he clocked me but by the time he caught up I had already pulled over......CHP wrote me a ticket for doin 79 in a 70....one of the smoothest and coolest interactions Ive had. Had he wanted to search my vehicle, things would probably be a LOT different now........At least I had the written permission but it woulda taken days to get that bubblegum sorted out.......The wife was asleep BTW, she was PISSED when I woke her up and told her we were gettin pulled over.....

Finally, that's what he does and I pull as far off as I can get, roll the window down, and put my hands on the wheel. Trooper comes up to the car with his flashlight on, pauses 3 feet back
I think another action that helps at night is to turn on the dome light and let them see that no one is moving around and just waiting for them to take charge. I think it lessens their tension and is appreciated. This has been to my benefit several times. :)

After spending a couple of long hours in a dental chair, I left the parking lot by scooting through a Tastee Freeze drive thru lane as the street in front of both buildings had a fender bender accident stopping all traffic.
After driving down the road a couple of blocks I see some lights and a pissed off motorcycle cop who pulls me over and motions for me to roll down the passenger window.
I tried to explain to him that I had been legally parked at the dentists office and had not gone through the Tastee Freeze lane to avoid the traffic and I had the medical bill to prove it.
But, since the dentist had shot so much Novocaine into my jaws, all he heard was " Hay slhur, I wuzzn't duuing enythink wong, I wuz parkeded at duh dudist offist.
The cop just comes unglued and when he stops sputtering and starts talking I realize that he has a pronounced lisp.
He did let me go with a warning as he knew that I would beat the ticket in court.

I think another action that helps at night is to turn on the dome light and let them see that no one is moving around and just waiting for them to take charge. I think it lessens their tension and is appreciated. This has been to my benefit several times. :)

True back when i was you g and usually doing dumb stuff in a vehicle I would always roll all my windows down when getting pulled over since I had a dark tint, this does the same effect. Calms their mind when they can see who is or isn't in the vehicle.

When I was young I was a crap magnet (for good reason)
People are often surprised now when i tell them I was pulled over 11 times in 2 years, and got a lovely letter from the DMV warning me if I get another ticket my license would be suspended for a year.
Last ticket I got, 2003.

True back when i was you g and usually doing dumb stuff in a vehicle I would always roll all my windows down when getting pulled over since I had a dark tint, this does the same effect. Calms their mind when they can see who is or isn't in the vehicle.

When I was young I was a crap magnet (for good reason)
People are often surprised now when i tell them I was pulled over 11 times in 2 years, and got a lovely letter from the DMV warning me if I get another ticket my license would be suspended for a year.
Last ticket I got, 2003.
I got you beat. Back in the early 60's, when I was 16 yo I lost count of the tickets (17?). The traffic court judge (Judge Cecchini) knew me on sight and so did the local CHP, Officer Mason Sanborn. Judge Cecchini had my license more than I did for about two years. I got the same DMV letter. I finally learned my lesson (mostly).;)

Last Edited:
My old hunting partner received so many speeding tickets as a young man that the judge told him to get on the police force if he wanted to drive fast and not get pulled over.
He took his advice and had some great stories of chasing people around LA during the seventies.

ZigZagZeke: Wow! You must have A VERY FAST CAR! My current Suzuki Suicide Baby Jeep will NOT go over 80 and it would take MILES to work up to that speed. My only slight claim to speeding fame is that in about early 2002 I was driving my new-to-me ex school bus 1974 Crown Supercoach 40 foot 3 axle 10 wheeler North on Eye Five, (I5) going between Weed CA to Yreka CA. Down hill.

Driving the bus from her old home in Apple Valley CA to her new home in Cave Junction Oregon. Got about 10.5 mpg @ 60 mph.

Actually worked the old girl up to about 2150 rpm in 10th gear. Flat wide open. Did I mention slightly down hill? About 85 mph. I passed a slow moving truck, (he was going about 60-62 mph) and he flashed his headlights quickly about five, (5) times. I am dumb but not stupid. I lit off the Jake Brake, (no brake light requirements with a Jake then) and slowed quickly back to 60 mph. 1500 rpm.

Cummins small cam 250. RTO910 Fuller. 3.9 drivers. Single Stage Jake. 12RX22.5 tires. A bus body on a logging truck frame.

ZOOM. A CHP, (California HIghway Patrol) car zipped passed me doing Warp 12. (very fast) Maybe even faster. I am sure to this day he was looking for that BIG RADAR BLIP. I learned my lesson let me tell you. It was a sobering experience. Never since then have I EVER speeded. NEVER! Also I am PROUD to say I have NEVER EVER received one speeding ticket in over 55 years. So there! :)

Circa 1971 had the pleasure of wanking around PDX/environs in a silver 1600 Datsun Roadster. (The Z-car had barely come to market at the time) Lotsa miles, stack o'green ointment soothed my pain of losing it....and helped with a newerfaster5speed2000cc/more HORSEdamnPOWER/discbrakes...(((RED))) .....and suddenly LOTS of stops/pull-it-over-buddy stuff. Rarely ticket but lotsa stink eye.....even got a ticket for 66 in a 65 zone up in Seattle area....so before long had it repainted SILVER....same driving, same roads, same behavior, etc. ZERO stops the entire next year....interesting comparison.

Yep, it's been about 5 years since my last radar ticket, and wouldn't you know it, last Friday evening I get pulled over on my way to Seaside. I was going out 26 in a slow drizzle, with wife and kids, not paying much attention to my speed. It's dark and wet, about 6 pm, so I didn't see the state trooper parked under the underpass behind the pillar. My wife says, "There was a cop back there." And sure enough, I see headlights turning onto the highway behind me about a 1/2 mile. I took my foot off the gas and coasted down to 58 or so.

The trooper follows me for about a mile. Wife wants to know what he's doing. I said he's probably waiting for a wide spot in the road before turning his lights on. Finally, that's what he does and I pull as far off as I can get, roll the window down, and put my hands on the wheel. Trooper comes up to the car with his flashlight on, pauses 3 feet back from my window, sees my hands and comes forward. He says he has me doing 74 in a 55. I said that's possible. He asks for the usual stuff. It's the wife's car so I let her find the registration and insurance stuff while I dig out my DL. I keep my CHL in the same slot as my DL, so I pull them both out and put the CHL back in right away. I'm sure he saw it. Otherwise I didn't mention the CHL and he didn't ask. He took my stuff and said he'd be right back.

After two or three minutes he comes back and says he's giving me a warning, slow down, and drive safely..."use your cruise control." Meanwhile the 7 yo in the back seat is asking if she can say hello to the trooper. My wife relays the request and rolls down the rear window behind me. The trooper introduces himself and hands her a stick-on state police badge. Everybody ends up smiling.

I don't know if the CHL had anything to do with getting a warning, or if the veteran's plates helped, but it's nice to avoid all that hassle. We were pretty much at the speed limit the rest of the weekend.
It was the kid or the plates or the fact that you didn't act a fool mmmmmm we will never know but I learned at a very young age YES SIR NO SIR OR YES MA'AM OR NO MA'AM THAT A lone WILL GET YOU DOWN THE ROAD WITH LITTLE OR NOTHING OUT OF YOUR POCKET just saying

My step dad was a cop my best friend in highschool his dad was a CHP my cousin is a cop My neighbor is a cop I CAN KEEP GOING but they all say the same thing THE FIRST 10 to 20 SECONDS determines how it's going to go down

Last time I was pulled over was about 4 years ago...I-5, Southbound, just about midway between Portland and Salem. Was in the GMC 1/2 ton with the boat behind. Fully loaded for three weeks of fishing and relaxation. Like other RVers we like to have some fun. I've got this boy child doll, about a 7 year old I'd say. Wifey picked it up some years ago at a thrift store. We usually take "Little Jimmy" on these trips, (We call him that because he's got bright almost white, blonde hair with a bowl cut, like Jimmy Houston), I strapped him at the helm with a couple of bungee cords, with his hand up like he was waving at passing traffic. The Senior Trooper said they'd got a bunch of calls, and suggested I put Jimmy in the truck. I thought it was pretty damned dangerous sitting there on the side of I-5 during morning rush for this nonsense. That little incident put me one rung higher on "The Ladder of Loathe" of people in the Willamette Valley! :s0099:

Of all the things I've seen strapped to various rigs moving down the motorway, was one particularly busy traffic stream heading S on I-5 just out of Salem.

There were a lot of smaller cars with various stuff lashed to whatever their carry-bar roof rack was.

One in particular, had enough strapped on the roof that it took a moment to focus on something unusual: it was a large possum (yes, a REAL possum, not a inflatable/stuffed version).....belly up, legs rigid, and tail dangling. It looked all the world like someone had snuck up & added this trophy for a bon voyage treat.

And definitely puffed up a bit....

Probably didn't want the extra paperwork
Anything 20 mph and over is reckless isn't it?
Maybe thats why he said 74mph and not 75+.

No, there is no speed standard for reckless. Example: you are doing 100 on I5 south in dry weather with good lighting and no one around, in a straight section, not changing lanes. Not reckless.

You are going 90 on I5 south, it's been raining and the roads are wet, you tailgate a guy for a minute till he can get over and later make two unsignaled lane changes, one of which makes someone hit their brakes hard. Reckless.

That said, over 30+ mph is a big fine, so is over 100 (1000 dollar + fine).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top