1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Firearms?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by charlesebow, Nov 17, 2009.

1. charlesebow

charlesebow Klamath New Member

I have a guy that wants to trade me a SW40E for a bow that I have. My question is if I do the trade do I have to do anything to show the pistol now belongs to me? I have never owned a handgun before just long guns so not sure if the laws are different. Oh, we are both oregon residents.
  2. CVMustang

CVMustang Hillsboro Member

No need for registration on private party sales/trades. Happy shooting.
  3. sbarclay71

sbarclay71 salem Member

It just depends on if you want big brother to know you have it. The state of oregon does not have a manditory firearms registration for private parties(unless one or another has a FFL).The only thing I would strongly suggest would be to right out a bill of trade and make sure the other guys correct name and odl# is on it (be sure to verify).

Hope's this helps

Good luck
  4. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

For your mutual protection a bill of sale, or trade showing the dates and times of the transfer with the weapons referenced by their make and model numbers, signed and dated by both parties, would be good to have, just in case.

Yeah, as sbarclay71 says, use the ODL numbers.