JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I'm sure this has been asked before and easily answered by some of the "pro's" on this forum. If you wanted to trade a firearm, one to one with a private citizen that lives in another state (example a FTF meeting in WA to OR or vice versa), how do you handle the FFL part of that? Do both parties have to do the paperwork in each state or would the paperwork only be required in whichever state the physical trade actually took place?
Thanks for you patience with such a small and inconvenient question but I believe there is no such thing as a "stupid" question and I am a big proponent of being responsible in such matters.

R/
Rodney

As far as I know (and I may be wrong) the trade legally has to go through an FFL. For rifles and shotguns the paperwork through the FFL can be done in any state, but for handguns an FFL in the receiving parties state must be used.

I have had two transctions this year with Oregon sellers. In each case the seller lived in Portland and they just drove over to McDermott Gun Repair (360-693-2382) on Evergreen Boulevard. I met the seller there, paid them for the gun, they left and I completed all the FFL paperwork with Jim McDermott. $20 Simple, quick and legal.
If they live out of the area and want to ship something, they do need to use an Oregon FFL dealer to ship it. If they are local its just a short drive and no cost to them.
There are other supporting vendors here that do the same thing. I have also had good luck with Crossroads Arms. Joe is great to work with for new guns and Coctailer offers the same service I believe.

I have had two transctions this year with Oregon sellers. In each case the seller lived in Portland and they just drove over to McDermott Gun Repair (360-693-2382) on Evergreen Boulevard. I met the seller there, paid them for the gun, they left and I completed all the FFL paperwork with Jim McDermott. $20 Simple, quick and legal.
If they live out of the area and want to ship something, they do need to use an Oregon FFL dealer to ship it. If they are local its just a short drive and no cost to them.
There are other supporting vendors here that do the same thing. I have also had good luck with Crossroads Arms. Joe is great to work with for new guns and Coctailer offers the same service I believe.

Agreed, and to ship a firearm you must ship to an FFL, but only handguns need be shipped from and FFL. A long gun can be shipped directly from the seller to an FFL.

Hypothetical scenario:

Seller sells a handgun FTF to someone in another Northwest state. Bill of sale is filled out and both parties have a copy. But a FFL was not included in the process. Their oversight could have been out of ignorance, or to skirt the law. Ignorance is no defense, so their intent doesn't really matter.

Question:

Worst-case, what could happen, realistically? Insurance... Police... Resell...

Long gun purchases by a WA resident from a dealer in OR are legal (handguns are not). Is it legal for a WA buyer to FTF with an OR seller and vis versa?

The best way to buy a handgun frm an oregon dealer is to pay for it in oregon and have it shipped to a WA FFL for the BG check. you pick it up in WA after the waiting period if required.

gunbroker has an FFL finder. be sure you check on the reputation of the FFL listed though. I had a gun shipped to an FFL (who was a cop) and the SOB sold the gun to someone else (illegal) while i was waiting for a upin. when i went back, he was out of business, and refused to answer my calls to his personal number or work number. Business i bought the gun from was great - they refunded my money, even though they didn't get the gun back. (CDNN out of texas - i've done business with them several times, great company) oops, looks like i got sidetracked. long story short, use gunbroker to find the FFL, and do your research.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top