JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently met with another member and completed a high end trade, I originally didnt want to trade and told the member I would meet up so we could check each others firearms out in person. We both agreed and he was traveling across the state for another reason so it was a good meet. We didnt end up meeting until 1am which I found very odd, and was uncomfortable to say the least. Other member was confused about meeting location and showed up late after a call. We looked over each others firearms and talked about there historys. I disclosed the few problems I had ever had with a very rare hard to find rifle, and he went over the pistol he brought to trade. I was still not very interested in trading as I wanted cash on top of the trade. But we both agreed and completed the trade. We left eachother positive feedback and I thought all was well. Then recieved PM's stating the Gentleman was having problems with the rifle and even being able to get a magazine to stay in the mag well (A problem I had mentioned previously). I asked what was going on and told him the changes that needed to be done to make more mags fit better. I then recieved a PM from the gentleman stating he got a Lemon and was going to contact a lawyer and file a civil claim against me. Never once asked to trade back or to meet up and problem solve in person. Just that I am trying to rip him off. I never had any problems with the function of the rifle I traded. I am wondering how do I make things right ?? Is there a way he could drag me to court over a trade for firearms? We signed no contract or bill of sale, I know him for being another member of this site,. Help me with some comments and info...

I recently met with another member and completed a high end trade, I originally didnt want to trade and told the member I would meet up so we could check each others firearms out in person. We both agreed and he was traveling across the state for another reason so it was a good meet. We didnt end up meeting until 1am which I found very odd, and was uncomfortable to say the least. Other member was confused about meeting location and showed up late after a call. We looked over each others firearms and talked about there historys. I disclosed the few problems I had ever had with a very rare hard to find rifle, and he went over the pistol he brought to trade. I was still not very interested in trading as I wanted cash on top of the trade. But we both agreed and completed the trade. We left eachother positive feedback and I thought all was well. Then recieved PM's stating the Gentleman was having problems with the rifle and even being able to get a magazine to stay in the mag well (A problem I had mentioned previously). I asked what was going on and told him the changes that needed to be done to make more mags fit better. I then recieved a PM from the gentleman stating he got a Lemon and was going to contact a lawyer and file a civil claim against me. Never once asked to trade back or to meet up and problem solve in person. Just that I am trying to rip him off. I never had any problems with the function of the rifle I traded. I am wondering how do I make things right ?? Is there a way he could drag me to court over a trade for firearms? We signed no contract or bill of sale, I know him for being another member of this site,. Help me with some comments and info...

You traded with an out of stater without an FFL?

I'd say it's generally "as is". It's a done deal and you told him of the issue/s.
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not a lawyer though.. I think he's just blowing smoke.
It was a trade and the trade is done.

Well, I'd offer to meet him in the Cabela's parking lot in Springfield and trade back the firearms. Otherwise, I'd tell him to go pound sand. He was told the condition of the firearm and still approved the trade. If you were accurate in your description, he would be out of luck IMO.

this is the last PM I got from the Gent:

"Did you send me the magazine? Why dont you just straight up be a man and tell me to my face you are screwing me? I trusted you and you are doing this to your hobby buddy? Just remember there are karma... Someone will doing this to you 10x worse then what you are doing to me. I will see an attorney on monday to discus a possible civil law suit. Thank god I paid all this year for prepaid legal now its my turn to use it. Have fun enjoy my handgun and dont loose sleep."
I replied :
"You just went off the deep end. I have never had a problem with the rifle. I would gladly meet with you and take a look at the rifle. I didn't want to do the trade and you pushed it. You have never asked to trade back. I dont know what you have been doin to the rifle since you have had it. All this is very upsetting to me especially you threatening me with lawyers. I don't believe I will ever be trading again after this horrible experience. Please don't send more angry messages, I understand your having problems with the rifle that I was unaware of or have developed recently. "

You explained the functionality of the item? He did an examination at the time of the sale? The guy may only have a case if it proves to be dangerous to use...but then he's had it for days and could have altered it.

I doubt there's a case.

If it does go to court request mediation, trade the guy back then seek damages due to his use/mis-use. Can you prove the condition of the item before the sale? Pictures, video, eye-witnesses?

You explained the functionality of the item? He did an examination at the time of the sale? The guy may only have a case if it proves to be dangerous to use...but then he's had it for days and could have altered it.

I doubt there's a case.

If it does go to court request mediation, trade the guy back then seek damages due to his use/mis-use. Can you prove the condition of the item before the sale? Pictures, video, eye-witnesses?

Who cares? The guy is having buyers remorse. Trades are as is. You didn't have to tell him anything about it, as long as you didn't go out of your way to lie about it's quality. It sounds like you went above and beyond. It would make you a jerk not to be honest, but it's not legally required. You made a trade for a firearm, it's done with. It's his word against yours. He'd be an idiot to waste his money on this.

I love his purposeful mention of 'prepaid legal'. Nice touch.

At this point, I'd just type "tough titty" in a PM and stop replying. You win some, you lose some. Reasonable collectors understand this.

Thirtycal

ya it was supposed to be earlier then 9pm then I got a pm at 12 something and said 1230 but He went to a different location then we had talked about. And since I was out and it was already that late I waited until he showed. Only to have all this pain in my butt.

OOppps, the buyer finally listened to me about what I said. He did some research and found the way to correct the problem he was having. Awesome, Done and Done. Closing thread now, thanks all.

he just wanted a way to make use of his prepaid legal...

still I would forward a copy of the PM to the mods and ask them to change feedback from positive to neutral...

somebody this difficult to work with and lawsuit happy does not deserve positive feedback...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top