JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Several times in different threads the subject of Indian / tribal use of firearms has come up...
Rather than clutter up a thread with my thoughts* on the matter , I am making a new thread in a more appropriate section.

*Please note that my thoughts on this matter are :
Based on my years of collecting , identifying , and at times using original Tradeguns and Trade rifles.
As well as researching the same....
Also worth considering , is that my approach and thoughts are often not inline with many popular held notions.
And please understand , that I do not consider myself any kind of "expert" or authority on this subject.

Warning long read.

Just what is a Tradegun and Trade Rifle...?
During the fur trade...firearms were found to be a popular item of use and barter....So much so , that a whole class of firearms were made around it.
Both government factories and private manufacturers made this class of firearms which were called : Trade Guns and Trade Rifles.

A Tradegun is a smooth bore firearm , either flintlock or percussion , made for use during the fur trade , by either the tribes or the trader / trappers.
They were usually found in .58 -.65 caliber and could fire both round ball or shot.
Most were full stocked and barrels were generally 30 , 36 and 42 inches in length.

Generally speaking there were three types of Tradeguns :
The Northwest TradeGun...The 'standard" item of trade.
"Chief Grade" Tradeguns...A bit fancier Northwest Tradegun or at times a fancy Fusil / Fowler.
And Fusils / Fowlers....What we would now call a shotgun.

At times the distinction between any of the above can get confusing , depending the description , the writer , or even the maker.
With that said...
These firearms were made to a similar pattern and standard.
For instance The Northwest Tradeguns generally featured :
A large iron trigger guard...
A "Serpent Side" plate...
Fusils and fowlers were made along the lines of finer civilian sporting guns or even semi-military guns...but featured less overall detail or refinement.

This is not to say that Tradeguns were "cheap" , as in shoddy or poorly made....
They were a good robust , functioning firearm ...Just not in the same league with details or fit and finish , as many fancy Longrifles or sporting guns of the same period.

Flintlock Tradeguns were very popular. for a long time..I have seen and handled a few that had locks dated 1875 , and
1880 , this is into the cartridge firearm era.

Trade Rifles were rifled arms that were made mostly by private contractors for use in the fur trade...either by the tribes or traders and trappers.
These rifles were generally of the Longrifle type or of the English style....again usually plainer and less fancy than a civilian rifle of the time.
Again....much crossover can happen here , when reading period writing.
Calibers were generally in the .45 - .58 range.
Stocks can be found both full or half in styling....flintlock or percussion as well.

Both Tradeguns and Trade rifles were "gifted" at times to tribes or individuals .
This was done both by government agents and fur trade companies...usually to promote goodwill and better relations.

Some random thoughts regarding these firearms.

I want to stress that both Tradeguns and Trade Rifles were as a general rule well made , even if they were plainly finished or not as finely finished as sporting gun or rifle of the period.
( The tribes knew a quality article of trade...as well as knowing just what the hides , furs , animals they brought , were worth )

FedEx and UPS did not exist back then...
Supply and demand was just as fickle then as it is today.
Loss due to theft , hazards of river or overland travel , weather delays , or plain getting lost....
As well as time delays and at times ...massive competition with other trade outfits would effect just what made it to rendezvous or a trading post.

When one reads of reports of just what firearms were turned in at surrender or found after a fight...
Something to consider is , how many of those firearms were actually operable...?
Either due to abuse / neglect or the lack of powder , ball or ammunition....

And now the pictures :D
DSC06824.jpg
Upper firearm....A Parker Field Northwest Tradegun dated 1854...converted to percussion
Lower firearm ...A J.Henry Flintlock Trade rifle...circa 1840
DSC06831.jpg
DSC06834.jpg
"Serpent Sideplate" and large triggergun of the Northwest Tradegun.
DSC06789.jpg
Henry Leman percussion Trade Rifle circa late 1830's
DSC06814.jpg
J.Henry Flintlock Trade Rifle Circa 1800- 1820
DSC06822.jpg
Tryon Fowler / Fusil....Circa 1800 -1830's
DSC06557.jpg
Flintlock fowler made by George Laloux...Belgian gun maker from 1834 -1920
DSC06560.jpg
Lock of the above.
Andy

Last Edited:
Is that a rawhide wrap on the Parker?
Yes it is....the stock was broken at the wrist and repaired with a rawhide wrap.

Full disclosure on the Parker Field Northwest Tradegun :
The lock , barrel and all the furniture as well as the tacks....are original....
When I got the gun...the stock was way too rotted / insect eaten away.
So I copied the stock with a piece of walnut...to include the broken wrist with rawhide repair , which was on the original gun.
I also copied the tack pattern.
( it also shoots very nicely )
Andy

Yes it is....the stock was broken at the wrist and repaired with a rawhide wrap.

Full disclosure on the Parker Field Northwest Tradegun :
The lock , barrel and all the furniture as well as the tacks....are original....
When I go the gun...the stock was way too rotted / insect eaten away.
So I copied the stock with a piece of walnut...to include the broken wrist with rawhide repair , which was on the original gun.
I also copied the tack pattern.
( it also shoots very nicely )
Andy
It's got an awesome look; I've not seen rawhide used like that before. Thanks for sharing :s0090:

Andy, it's a little hard to tell in the picture: is the rawhide stitched along a seam on the left side of the gun? Is it wrapped and sewn while wet so it dries tighter?

I love the aesthetics of these guns.... I have a Marlin 925M in .22Mag, my first rifle, that I later adorned with brass tacks in this sort of old style, I love the way it looks.

Thanks for the info!
Josh

Andy, it's a little hard to tell in the picture: is the rawhide stitched along a seam on the left side of the gun? Is it wrapped and sewn while wet so it dries tighter?

I love the aesthetics of these guns.... I have a Marlin 925M in .22Mag, my first rifle, that I later adorned with brass tacks in this sort of old style, I love the way it looks.

Thanks for the info!
Josh
Josh ,
The seam is along the left side of the wrist of the gun....and yup...its wrapped and sewn when wet so it will tighten with it dries.
Andy
( if you click on the pictures...they enlarge )

Thanks Andy.... You reference being able to salvage the original hardware before replacing the stock, I assume that if the stock was so damaged by insects that the original rawhide was too and that this is replacement? After it was on and dried tight, did you oil it or anything or just leave it in the raw?

Here's a picture of the Marlin I mentioned, the other side is done in the same pattern. I used rounded brass upholstery tacks, predrilled the tiny holes just slightly shy of the depth of the tack pins so their points still had a little wood to bite into at the bottom, then dipped the pins in glue before inserting them. The three buttons in the forearm of the stock are great, very tactile, for my forehand grip. I figured that I was unlikely to sell my first rifle so I wasn't too worried about hurting the value of it though, to be honest, I don't know if such decoration would decrease or increase its value any.

Josh

20211213_084545.jpg

Nice work @joshkk
Good looking Marlin.

As for the rawhide on my Tradegun..yep I had to replace it as the original was pretty dry and crumbly and chewed.

I do oil it down , along with the stock...
Bear grease and deer tallow ...along with Hubbard's shoe grease.
Andy

Several times in different threads the subject of Indian / tribal use of firearms has come up...
Rather than clutter up a thread with my thoughts* on the matter , I am making a new thread in a more appropriate section.

*Please note that my thoughts on this matter are :
Based on my years of collecting , identifying , and at times using original Tradeguns and Trade rifles.
As well as researching the same....
Also worth considering , is that my approach and thoughts are often not inline with many popular held notions.
And please understand , that I do not consider myself any kind of "expert" or authority on this subject.

Warning long read.

Just what is a Tradegun and Trade Rifle...?
During the fur trade...firearms were found to be a popular item of use and barter....So much so , that a whole class of firearms were made around it.
Both government factories and private manufacturers made this class of firearms which were called : Trade Guns and Trade Rifles.

A Tradegun is a smooth bore firearm , either flintlock or percussion , made for use during the fur trade , by either the tribes or the trader / trappers.
They were usually found in .58 -.65 caliber and could fire both round ball or shot.
Most were full stocked and barrels were generally 30 , 36 and 42 inches in length.

Generally speaking there were three types of Tradeguns :
The Northwest TradeGun...The 'standard" item of trade.
"Chief Grade" Tradeguns...A bit fancier Northwest Tradegun or at times a fancy Fusil / Fowler.
And Fusils / Fowlers....What we would now call a shotgun.

At times the distinction between any of the above can get confusing , depending the description , the writer , or even the maker.
With that said...
These firearms were made to a similar pattern and standard.
For instance The Northwest Tradeguns generally featured :
A large iron trigger guard...
A "Serpent Side" plate...
Fusils and fowlers were made along the lines of finer civilian sporting guns or even semi-military guns...but featured less overall detail or refinement.

This is not to say that Tradeguns were "cheap" , as in shoddy or poorly made....
They were a good robust , functioning firearm ...Just not in the same league with details or fit and finish , as many fancy Longrifles or sporting guns of the same period.

Flintlock Tradeguns were very popular. for a long time..I have seen and handled a few that had locks dated 1875 , and
1880 , this is into the cartridge firearm era.

Trade Rifles were rifled arms that were made mostly by private contractors for use in the fur trade...either by the tribes or traders and trappers.
These rifles were generally of the Longrifle type or of the English style....again usually plainer and less fancy than a civilian rifle of the time.
Again....much crossover can happen here , when reading period writing.
Calibers were generally in the .45 - .58 range.
Stocks can be found both full or half in styling....flintlock or percussion as well.

Both Tradeguns and Trade rifles were "gifted" at times to tribes or individuals .
This was done both by government agents and fur trade companies...usually to promote goodwill and better relations.

Some random thoughts regarding these firearms.

I want to stress that both Tradeguns and Trade Rifles were as a general rule well made , even if they were plainly finished or not as finely finished as sporting gun or rifle of the period.
( The tribes knew a quality article of trade...as well as knowing just what the hides , furs , animals they brought , were worth )

FedEx and UPS did not exist back then...
Supply and demand was just as fickle then as it is today.
Loss due to theft , hazards of river or overland travel , weather delays , or plain getting lost....
As well as time delays and at times ...massive competition with other trade outfits would effect just what made it to rendezvous or a trading post.

When one reads of reports of just what firearms were turned in at surrender or found after a fight...
Something to consider is , how many of those firearms were actually operable...?
Either due to abuse / neglect or the lack of powder , ball or ammunition....

And now the pictures :D
View attachment 1087725
Upper firearm....A Parker Field Northwest Tradegun dated 1854...converted to percussion
Lower firearm ...A J.Henry Flintlock Trade rifle...circa 1840
View attachment 1087726
View attachment 1087727
"Serpent Sideplate" and large triggergun of the Northwest Tradegun.
View attachment 1087728
Henry Leman percussion Trade Rifle circa late 1830's
View attachment 1087729
J.Henry Flintlock Trade Rifle Circa 1800- 1820
View attachment 1087730
Tryon Fowler / Fusil....Circa 1800 -1830's
View attachment 1087731
Flintlock fowler made by George Laloux...Belgian gun maker from 1834 -1920
View attachment 1087732
Lock of the above.
Andy
Beautiful guns!