JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that. How many small rifle primers for a brick of small pistol primers? How many for 40 pieces of brass for 7mm-08? How many for a pound of H1000? A pound of H4831sc?

Maybe what we need is a central warehouse where everyone is required to send their stuff in according to ability, and take out according to need. Oh wait. I think that's been tried and didn't work out so well. :eek:
Here's my line of thought. If I am contemplating a trade or purchase where the trader or seller is offering to sell an item for $35 or trade it for a brick of primers, I would like to know the value of my primers. If I can sell my primers for $70 it might be better to pay cash for the item rather than trade the primers. It's difficult to know what the primers are worth right now since the market is crazy. But I should be able to get a pretty good idea by selling some with a best offer option.

During that same .22 shortage, a Pawn/Gun shop a few miles east of here was trying to get $85 for a $15 brick of Blazer .22. I haven't been in since, and I steer friends away as well.

It is all about supply and demand. Yes, I have some off the scale primers posted. They belong to another person and the price is what they set. One factor is what is the replacement cost? Last summer I sold thousands of primers for $30 per K and lots of powder at $20 per pound and people were still wnating me to cut the price. Give that a whirl now. As per forum rules, a person can ask any price they want and if that is not acceptable then look for a better deal elsewhere. We are in a situation right now that han't been around in our lifetimes and who know when it will ease. There are hoarders and scalpers out there, who is right and who is wrong. If those that complain about the current prices had those products for sale, what would they do, price it at pre-covid/domestic terorist prices? I think not but one never knows. Just do the bvusiness you want to do and let others go their own way and this will a much more pleasant site.

It is all about supply and demand. Yes, I have some off the scale primers posted. They belong to another person and the price is what they set. One factor is what is the replacement cost? Last summer I sold thousands of primers for $30 per K and lots of powder at $20 per pound and people were still wnating me to cut the price. Give that a whirl now. As per forum rules, a person can ask any price they want and if that is not acceptable then look for a better deal elsewhere. We are in a situation right now that han't been around in our lifetimes and who know when it will ease. There are hoarders and scalpers out there, who is right and who is wrong. If those that complain about the current prices had those products for sale, what would they do, price it at pre-covid/domestic terorist prices? I think not but one never knows. Just do the bvusiness you want to do and let others go their own way and this will a much more pleasant site.
Nicely put!

I agree with you. But, I'd be lying if I said I didn't take immense satisfaction when the bottom fell out on the .22LR gougers a few years back. A buddy and I bought out a guy that got caught holding 14,000 rounds. We paid him about 3 1/2 cents per round. I know, I know. He probably made waaaaaaaaay more than that on the stuff he sold. But still, it felt pretty good. And even better, I'm not too worried about running short this time around.:)

I agree with you. But, I'd be lying if I said I didn't take immense satisfaction when the bottom fell out on the .22LR gougers a few years back. A buddy and I bought out a guy that got caught holding 14,000 rounds. We paid him about 3 1/2 cents per round. I know, I know. He probably made waaaaaaaaay more than that on the stuff he sold. But still, it felt pretty good. And even better, I'm not too worried about running short this time around.:)
Somehow the words " got caught holding " don't come to mind when I have 14,000 rnds of 22lr lying around. :)

I am holding out hope that the members wanting to deal in pre-covid prices will show up to my one pound of powder for 1000 primers party. I won't hold my breath but I will be ready to jump on a deal if it is offered.
I've got a sealed 8lb jug of Varget I'd love to trade for small pistol primers both set at pre-Covid prices. You game? :D

I've got a sealed 8lb jug of Varget I'd love to trade for small pistol primers both set at pre-Covid prices. You game? :D

I think I am more of present-covid type of trader. Varget is another hot commodity though. I have seen Varget going for around $50 a pound in the classifieds. You should be able to get a couple of thousand primers for an 8lb jug maybe more.

Somehow the words " got caught holding " don't come to mind when I have 14,000 rnds of 22lr lying around. :)
I'm not sure the seller even owned a gun. I think he was just in it for the money. Man, there were about 20 different brands of ammo and different configurations in the number of rounds - 525, 500, 333, 325, 222, 100, etc.. I'm with you though. "Oh gee, I got caught this time with 12,000 rounds. What a pity." I love .22s. That's why I scratch my head when I see people willing to trade .22LR one for one for primers. What really makes me scratch my head though is, they don't seem to be getting any takers.:confused:

I'm not sure the seller even owned a gun. I think he was just in it for the money. Man, there were about 20 different brands of ammo and different configurations in the number of rounds - 525, 500, 333, 325, 222, 100, etc.. I'm with you though. "Oh gee, I got caught this time with 12,000 rounds. What a pity." I love .22s. That's why I scratch my head when I see people willing to trade .22LR one for one for primers. What really makes me scratch my head though is, they don't seem to be getting any takers.:confused:
I could see where having 14,000 rounds would be a problem if he spent rent money on them and expected to flip them before the first of the month.

This is my latest effort at finding trade valuations:

Any guesses as to which trade is fulfilled first?

I was going to mention you regarding this ad of yours:

This is a very fair deal and if I had more H-4831 on hand I would jump on this deal in a second. I am surprised this hasn't been scooped up yet.
Just wanted to share a quick story and publicly thank a couple of members. After starting this thread and mentioning a great trade listing by @ssasquatch , I decided to take him up on that trade. He happened to be coming south and running right through my area, so when we met I offered him a free sleeve of primers in the deal. He declined to accept them and asked that I pass them along to somebody new to reloading. I found the perfect person today. I pm'd @CamoCrocKiller this morning and offered him the sleeve of primers and 8oz of pistol powders if he would sign up for a Bronze Supporting Membership. He did me one better and signed up for a Silver Supporting Membership. So a big thanks to @ssasquatch and @CamoCrocKiller.

Thank you to Arakboss for doing the leg work and finding someone that could use some primers to get started. I did this for another new member a month or so ago that was looking for just one sleeve to load for hunting. Never hurts to pay it forward when people are in need.

Last month I purchased a home in West Lynn. It sold for 60% less than what I paid for it, just five years ago. Why can't I find a forum to complain about that? It is what it is. And I'm not talking about a $100 brick of primers - I'm talking hundreds of thousands of dollars.....

Not surprising to me but I haven't had any members interested in trading a 1000 primers for a pound of powder. I added this as a post to my ad listing this morning:

"It appears that my gut was right and that one pound of H-4895 or Varget powder is not worth 1000 primers in todays world, regardless of what they cost in pre-covid times. In an effort to see how many primers a pound of powder is worth, I am willing to consider less than 1000 primers in trade. I do not want to trade away both powders but I will consider offers of less than 1000 primers for either the H-4895 or the Varget. PM me with your offers."

I have not decided how few primers I will accept yet as it will vary depending on which type, brand and vintage of primers that are offered up and which powder they are wanting to trade for.

I traded 800 cci41 for a lb of hodgdon h110.
the deal was to take the price of the primers from an online dealer, ( normal msrp), do the same for the powder at the same online retailer, and make the trade even based on retail msrp.
thats where we came up with 800 for 1lb.
I know I gave up more perceived value, in today's market, as I was giving up the primers, but I had them since before this madness,
incould not load anything without the power.

as a wise man once said,
the definition of a good deal is when both parties are happy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top