JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the increasing disparity of prices on certain reloading components and ammunition, I have noticed more for trade listings asking for pre covid valuations. I usually keep scrolling when I see these types of valuation requests but I wonder how many of these trades are successfully completed. The most common one I see is somebody wanting to trade a pound of powder for a brick of primers. That might have been close to an equal valuation trade over a year ago but when one item has increased double or three fold over the other in the same market, it seems unlikely there would be many takers.

If you have listed trades like that in the last month or so, what level of success did you have finding a willing trader?

To clarify the powder primer trade I am seeing most often is somebody wanting to trade their one pound of powder for somebody else's brick of primers. I am pretty sure that if somebody offered up one brick of primers for one pound of powder that trade would be fulfilled immediately.

I am going to try trading one pound of my powder for somebody else's brick of primers but I am not expecting much success.

Last Edited:
I think it depends what powder you've got and what primers you want. In example, if you have a pound of H1000 or RL26 or Retumbo, and you wanted large pistol Magnum, you might be in luck. But if you have IMR 3031 and want small pistol primers, it's an uphill battle

One guy is currently asking $240/1000 for his primers and he has quite a few. Not sure but I'd think probably 3 pounds of a lot of powders is around equal to a brick but not at the above price?

One guy is currently asking $240/1000 for his primers and he has quite a few. Not sure but I'd think probably 3 pounds of a lot of powders is around equal to a brick but not at the above price?
I have picked up quite a bit of cheap powder in the last few months. But I haven't had much luck finding cheap primers.

Last Edited:
I quit cruising the ammo classified because it quit being comical and entertaining. Now It's turned ludicrous and stoopid. I get enough of that driving around potland. As far as reloading, I haven't really looked at what kind of trade values have been proposed because I don't care. I'm sitting okay. What is interesting is how many "Members" we have now!. Those that joined 3-5-7-9 years ago and are just now coming to life, in the classifieds only. And those that joined later 2020 up to yesterday posting ammo/components at insane prices.

Meh, what's a person going to do? Right?

OP, I just read your ads and you are absolutely correct. The primers for powder has all the action. I'll be watching these just for entertainment today!

I'll be watching these just for entertainment today!

It will get old. Too much of what's going on in the classifieds now twists my brain. I like things that are logical. Selling your ammo, for what in the grand scheme, isn't going to pay off your house or put your kid through collage. And continuing to go out shooting up ammo like it was two years ago and having to replace it at todays costs. :s0153:

It is a fear and hoarding market - people are not going to give up anything they deem valuable. That presents a market for gougers to attempt to exploit those whom are willing to pay those prices out of fear. I prefer to work off the pre-covid prices, because on rare occasions I can walk into a shop somewhere and find a pound of powder or maybe some primers at a "normal" price. Plus, I am willing to wait this mess out and not get sucked into the insanity.

If you walk into Cabela's or Sportsman's when they have ammo it is like the food lines of the depression era - sad to see. These types of stories also help perpetuate the fear.

I have had reasonable ads up for about a month and crickets.....

OP, I just read your ads and you are absolutely correct. The primers for powder has all the action. I'll be watching these just for entertainment today!
I am holding out hope that the members wanting to deal in pre-covid prices will show up to my one pound of powder for 1000 primers party. I won't hold my breath but I will be ready to jump on a deal if it is offered.

Last Edited:
It is a fear and hoarding market - people are not going to give up anything they deem valuable. That presents a market for gougers to attempt to exploit those whom are willing to pay those prices out of fear. I prefer to work off the pre-covid prices, because on rare occasions I can walk into a shop somewhere and find a pound of powder or maybe some primers at a "normal" price. Plus, I am willing to wait this mess out and not get sucked into the insanity.

If you walk into Cabela's or Sportsman's when they have ammo it is like the food lines of the depression era - sad to see. These types of stories also help perpetuate the fear.

I have had reasonable ads up for about a month and crickets.....
I was going to mention you regarding this ad of yours:

This is a very fair deal and if I had more H-4831 on hand I would jump on this deal in a second. I am surprised this hasn't been scooped up yet.

In the last 2 months, with careful shopping, quick response time, and a good bit of luck, I have managed to buy about 8k primers of various sizes/applications. The most I have paid has been $100/k. With that and the fact that a couple of my LGS still have a fair selection of powders, I am fine. I still buy some brass if I find a good deal. But I just sit back with my coffee/beer and chuckle at the prices I am seeing.

Last Edited:
Ill echo what Stomper said.

I feel like Im preaching the "Little Red Hen" story to unprepared friends coming out if the woodwork looking for deals.

Friends asking me to sell them firearms or ammo now that they suddenly feel the need to buy. I told them a year or two ago was the time to be doing this.. all my stuff is off the market, Ive got none to spare. Luckily this is the first "panic" where I feel quite content short of going after a couple boutique calibers: 25, 32 (and less so with 410) But now that Ive made those purchases, I feel set. Its nice to sit back and laugh at some of the insane pricing on here. The obvious x3-price ammo flippers are getting put on the ignore list. I feel its the best way to keep them off my forum post feed.

I was going to mention you regarding this ad of yours:

This is a very fair deal and if I had more H-4831 on hand I would jump on this deal in a second. I am surprised this hasn't been scooped up yet.
I ended up meeting with @ssasquatch today and trading 2 of my last three containers of H-4831 powder for his primers. This member is excellent and very fair to deal with. If I had two containers of Varget, I probably would have taken him up on this deal too: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...ge-pistol-primers-for-varget-or-h1000.357517/

Primers definitely seem to be "the cat's meow". Cases, bullets and powder don't seem to command the same level of interest even though they too are often out of stock everywhere. I've been fortunate on bullets, finding them in stock online unexpectedly. (If you see 'em, buy 'em, cuz they won't be in stock long.) I took inventory a week ago and discovered I have more bullets and powder than my stack of small pistol primers will support. I found a brand new bag of 50 .300 RUM cases in the cupboard that I have no need for, so I did some online sleuthing. I found .300 RUM cases to be quite expensive and out of stock everywhere. So, I threw them up on the classifieds offering to trade for a brick of small pistol primers - so far no takers. I see people offering .22 long rifle one for one on a primer trade, and they don't seem to generate much interest either. People with a huge surplus of primers have been looking at trades involving primers for firearms instead of components or ammo. Sheesh. Color me jealous.

Well, .300RUM is kind of a niche caliber. Of the several hundred gun owners I know, only one owns a .300 RUM. And he said that after he zeroed it, he only shoots at an animal. He bought 3 boxes when he got the rifle and still has almost 2 boxes left. Not a real big turn over.

Well, .300RUM is kind of a niche caliber. Of the several hundred gun owners I know, only one owns a .300 RUM. And he said that after he zeroed it, he only shoots at an animal. He bought 3 boxes when he got the rifle and still has almost 2 boxes left. Not a real big turn over.
Yeah. I only know one guy that owns one as well.

I was hoping maybe they don't make a lot of the brass because it is a niche caliber. I know I've had trouble getting brass for certain calibers in the past - .222 Remington Magnum and .218 Bee. I think they only make limited runs of brass for those calibers. Maybe .300 RUM isn't that rare, and it definitely isn't as much fun to shoot as .218 Bee (at least for me).

I did get a response on my ad asking for a cash price, so there is some level of interest. However, I need primers more than cash. Despite that, I just ain't hard up enough to purchase them at insane prices.

Arakboss is awesome to work with and a very fair guy. Always a pleasure to make a trade with. We need more people like him in our community.
I've never met or dealt with him but his reputation sounds like a good person. I recently had a transaction with @kenboy and we were talking about other members and he said that @arakboss is a very upstanding member! Kudos to the good people still out there!

I've never met or dealt with him but his reputation sounds like a good person. I recently had a transaction with @kenboy and we were talking about other members and he said that @arakboss is a very upstanding member! Kudos to the good people still out there!
@kenboy is great which reminds me, he passed off to me some vintage Norma Super 7x61 which he thought I might have better luck selling up here in the metro area. I will post that this weekend but if any one knows of a Super 7x61 fan send them my way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top