JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the deal...

My wife bought me a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle for Father's Day 2013. It was a total surprise and I love her for picking out a gun for me... plus it's a gorgeous piece.

It's been sitting in my safe for the past 18 months... I've only put 10 rounds through it using the iron sites. I don't have an optic on it yet because I've been unsure how I want to use it. It feels like it should have a long eye relief scout scope on it, but I'm not a hunter... more of an aspiring target shooter. I recently started shooting on the rifle ranges at TCGC. I've been tempted to put a standard scope on it, but that feels like blasphemy with this gun. The few times I've shot it, I've noticed that it kicks pretty hard (I'm more used to AR's). Bottom line, it's a gun I feel emotionally connected to, but I'm having trouble connecting with it.

I shot a friend's suppressed 270 on the range last week and loved the light recoil. So that got me thinking... should I trade the Scout for a proper target rifle (e.g. Rem 700 AAC)...?

Today I was at Rich's Gun Shop and I was asking Logan (sales manager) about a Rem 700 AAC (308) thinking I'd go the suppressed route (in essence giving up on the Scout). Knowing I have the Ruger, Logan asked why not instead turn the Scout into better target shooter? I said because the barrel is too short. He said that doesn't matter. Then he gave me a recipe to make the Scout a tight shooter with 50% less recoil.
  • Trigger job - $125
  • Bedding and Free Float barrel - $235
  • Muzzle Brake - $120
  • Scope - $425 - $600 (depending on what I choose)

I like the idea of maximizing the potential of the Scout and making it something I can use on the range to shoot tight groups. So my questions are...

Will this make the Scout a fun, accurate target gun for bench/prone shooting at the range (100 - 300 yards using FGMM)?

Will the muzzle brake tone down the recoil as much as a suppressor would?

Or should I just trade it in for a Remington 700 AAC

6803.jpg

- the GSR is already threaded so why not just pop a can on it?

- take a spacer out and add a slip on rubber recoil pad

- glass is glass - my Leupold cost me $300

- trigger job and floating the barrel/

I thought the barrel was already free floating... Maybe I'm wrong.

My trigger has zero travel and pulls about 4 lbs by my guess if that straight out of the box.

I shoot it standing so I've never bench shot it. However, I can land shots into a 1/2" bullseye at 150 yards fairly consistently - flyers are always my fault.

I'd give the GSR a bit more of a chance. Shooting long distances even with ghost rings is challenging.

I also keep mine close and a magazine in my quick access safe for a third option for home defense.

Go with what you want though, ask you wife to sell it and buy you a 700 and it will have the same sentimental value;)

I think you should put a decent scope on it (normal mount, not scout style) and shoot it before you do anything. I've owned several Ruger MKIIs and Hawkeye rifles. All but one were very accurate right out of the box. The other one is perfectly fine for hunting, but would require work to be a target gun. If you decide that the gun isn't what you want, you can pull the scope and keep it for the next rifle.
The barrel probably has a "pressure point" in the fore end of the stock, but I'd not touch that until I knew how the gun shot. If it strings when warm, try removing it. (it could always be added back with bedding compound) The Ruger also has an interesting method of holding the action in the stock. Bedding can't hurt, but unless something's amiss with the factory stock, won't likely improve it too much.
The Gunsite has the LC6 trigger which isn't bad, but can be improved. A Timney trigger will cost about $120 and then the safety needs to be fitted. (which you can do yourself with a Dremel or file and extreme patience) A lighter spring can be used in the stock trigger if it doesn't have too much creep, but the Timney is adjustable and what I've used in the Rugers we currently have.
The weight of a scope will help to dampen the recoil. A different buttpad would help a bunch, too.

Good luck.

My personal experience, others mileage will vary. The Remington will shoot better than the Ruger. I've never owned a Ruger centerfire that shot decently. I have the 700AAC, its a good shooter. I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with it. It's really too heavy to pack around for hunting and what not IMHO. But it is fun to ring steel at 700yds,,,:)

I like my Gunsite, I'd throw a Leupold long eye relief on her and enjoy. I have a can for mine but I know that the "right" muzzle break can make a big difference in recoil. If you find that it needs more tweeking after that then I'd go for the trigger job. :)

Ruger_zps7ee40da2.jpg

Last Edited:
My personal experience, others mileage will vary. The Remington will shoot better than the Ruger. I've never owned a Ruger centerfire that shot decently. I have the 700AAC, its a good shooter. I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with it. It's really too heavy to pack around for hunting and what not IMHO. But it is fun to ring steel at 700yds,,,:)
I've noticed this to a degree as well. My model 700 will outshoot my step brothers Ruger anyway. But I do love those Ruger scout rifles. I need to get one someday.

I like my Gunsite, I'd throw a Leupold long eye relief on her and enjoy. I have a can for mine but I know that the "right" muzzle break can make a big difference in recoil. If you find that it needs more tweeking after that then I'd go for the trigger job. :)

How does that supressor work to cut down recoil?

Don't think I'd trade off the Ruger. Besides being a fairly practical useful rifle for lots of things, its something your significant other bought you. Even if she says its okay, I would probably error on the side of caution and keep it.

I had a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308 Win. It was a nice rifle. It shot well. Realized I didn't have the time and energy to devote to long range shooting and sold it. It was a one trick pony. It was designed to shoot long range, it did so well. But for me, it wasn't as versatile as some of my other rifles, so it got sold.

What distance and degree of accuracy are you going for? Price range?

For example the Savage Model 12 F-Class can shoot 1" groups at 200 yards out-of-the-box.

Well, I shoot at TCGC. I haven't ventured off the 100 yard range yet. But when I do it will be to the 200/300 yard range. That's about it. There is a 600 yard range but it's rarely open. I'd like to make shots that hit eachother.

I don't compete or anything. I'm just a guy who enjoys shooting and wants to make tight groups... tighter than this, which is a group I shot the other day with my SR556, a 9x scope, and a brutal trigger.

20140830_194654_zpswaufh9xv.jpg

I sold my Ruger Gunsight Scout to purchase a 700 SPS tactical, as well as a Ruger American compact. Both in 308. I was using the Scout for both long range as well as blacktail brush. I liked the idea of what it was more than seeing it wasn't my really the best for either in my opinion. I went through all the steps to make it more accurate. However I came to the point where I knew it was still only half way there to being what I needed it to be.

My American is set up with a Vortex 2-7x35. It is light and easy to manipulate. Recoils more than the Gunsight did, obviously do to weight. However I would say just as accurate as the Gunsight was out of the box. Maybe a 1.5 MOA rifle.

The 700 SPS is heavy. Right now I've only put 10 rounds through it. It's recoil is light do to weight. It is very accurate out of the box. Though I plan on tweaking it further to guarantee it's prolonged accuracy. I've watched folks shoot factory 700s with sub MOA accuracy so I see nothing but good things from this rifle.

Do to the value of the Gunsight I was able to get both of the above rifles for just about what I sold the Gunsight for.

The gunsight was a good gun. I definitely contemplated not selling it for a very long time. It however was just not the 100% right gun for my specific needs. It turned out two guns were. I see nothing wrong with that!

I have many friends that are experienced, dedicated rifle shooters, several of them have owned Rugers, from the early 1970's onwards, they all left Ruger and went to Savage or Rem.
I currently own a $400 savage sporter that outshoots my Rem AACSD 308

I can bring myself to own a savage. I know they're functional, probably even accurate if you believe the internet crowd, but they are UGLY. Between the obnoxious bolt design and the barrel nut, its just not an aesthetically pleasing rifle. And since my last Remington did just fine for target work, I'll just stick with that. And for hunting work, many of the dedicated guys I know started with Ruger and are still with them. They may not be 1/2 MOA guns, but they work pretty well for minute of elk/deer vital...

....I don't compete or anything. I'm just a guy who enjoys shooting and wants to make tight groups... tighter than this, which is a group I shot the other day with my SR556, a 9x scope, and a brutal trigger.

First of all this group is nothing to be ashamed of. I assume you were shooting 100 yds at that range not at the 50 yd target stand. F0r 50 yds I could see why one would be disappointed with this group, but 100 yards this is respectable.

Everything below this is taking any sentimental value aside because I do not know how important that is to you. And I cannot feel what it means to you...

Why start with something mediocre that can be customized to be made good. Why not start with something good to be customized to be great. Or start with something great that can be customized to be something amazing.
I am a hunter so that is what my goal always is. But I do get excited for punching lots of holes in a small area on paper as well. I have shot a few rugers, and owned one. Note past tense. Mine was a ruger mark II m77 in 270, and left a lot or accuracy out of the equation. 5 shots groups at 100 yards, 2-inches was a very good day. Then I got a Rem 700 CDL in 300 mag, 5 shots groups at 100 yards, 1" groups at 100 yards were normal. Then a Rem 700 CDL in 25-06, 5 shots groups at 100 yards, 1/2" groups at 100 yards, everyday. All these are hunting rifles. So really, any of them was ok for that out to 200 yards which is what most hunters will shoot to.
But that ruger left my house and I only regret it for 2 reasons. 1. My dad bought it for me. 2. My wife wants to hunt this year, and I have to buy another rifle, where if I hadn't sold it, it would have worked ok for her, without me spending extra coin this fall. Neither of those two reason (for me) make me wish I still had it.

I am in no way saying a Rem 700 is the best option, but imho it is the best of the two that you have it narrowed down too. PS the 25-06 is also (along with 270) a great long range shooter. And the 25-06 has less recoil. :D (Which is probably why I shoot it better than my 300 mag).

Ruger 77 MKII 30-06 un-modified. (wood stock 22" barrel, stock trigger) Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Remington 150gr Core-Lokt. Three shots, 100 yards. Shot this off of the hood of my truck sighting in for deer season a few years back. guns 179.jpg Yeah, this was the load the rifle liked best. This is the gun I gave to my oldest nephew when he graduated high school. The one I have now shoots similarly when fed 150 gr bullets.

Ruger 77 MKII 30-06 un-modified. (wood stock 22" barrel, stock trigger) Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Remington 150gr Core-Lokt. Three shots, 100 yards. Shot this off of the hood of my truck sighting in for deer season a few years back.View attachment 101932 Yeah, this was the load the rifle liked best. This is the gun I gave to my oldest nephew when he graduated high school. The one I have now shoots similarly when fed 150 gr bullets.

Very nice. I just never had any luck with mine. As you described yours, that is the exact same setup mine had. My rifle did have a bowed stock, and it put pressure on the barrel. But I had that sanded down, and still never got anything better than 2" groups. Maybe I got a lemon, I do not know. But I have never met anyone at the range that saw my ruger, and said, "those are accurate guns". And 90% of people said they either used to have one, or some were down right honest and said they never had any luck with them.

Orygun. I am glad you had a good one. I was close to buying a ruger american the other day, but could not get my head around owning another Ruger... yet. Maybe it is like dating after a divorce. Just to soon. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads