JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a good deal on an older 870 Express Super Mag, and it's been sitting in my safe for a while. My issue is, it has a 28 inch barrel, and I simply have no application for it. I'm not a hunter that uses a shotgun for anything, don't skeet shoot, etc.

My question is, should I try to sell the barrel then buy another barrel / parts to modify it how I would like, or would I be better off selling / trading the gun as a whole and buying an 870 that's more my liking?

Curious to hear if there's any points I didn't think of, etc as to why or why not I should do one or the other.

You can buy all the parts for less cost than a new gun.

You can buy the SPECIFIC parts you want to make it perfect to your needs/tastes.

You don't have to mess with FFL paperwork since you already own a gun.

Seldom disappointed you'll be for having the old spare parts to give you different options latter.

Keep it. Swap the barrel for a defensive length and you're good to go. If you want to tacticool it out with black furniture that can be done as well. I've seen lots of 870 conversions and as others have stated you've already got the gun so why not convert it?

Another plus one to just buying a spare barrel. With that particular shotgun finding the right one is a piece of cake. If it was me, I'd just hang on to the longer barrel, but it should be pretty easy to sell off online if you so desire.

Keep in min supermags are not "OLD". Well if 18 years old is old. IMO old is pre magnum models.

With that being said. You can get anything for a 870 reguardless of age. They are like legos, you can do anything and get anything off line. I can only thing of a few items that need skill to install

Keep barrel, then you will always have the option to shoot clays.

Get shorter replacement barrel and whatever else stocks you want. Owning that second barrel is really like owning a second shotgun without actually having to own a second one. Besides, if you keep the target barrel the shotgun can easily see use shooting clays which is practice hitting a moving target.

I'd price both options out though and see what the real savings would be compared to buying a finished shotgun the exact way you want it. Those JM 930's look pretty slick and I'd be tempted to go that way if I want already set with the shotgun category.

As I shared on the general discussion section ... I am refitting my 68 year old 870 with a new 18.5" barrel and designate it as my new home defense weapon. OK, I am also looking at a few toys to hang on it too. My rule of thumb is to NEVER sell a gun you own already.
:)

get a express barrel install it with a extended mag tube and while you are at it add a Blackhawk Knoxx Stock and you will be loving that gun.

The Blackhawk Stock is a recoil reducing one that has an adjustable AR style stock end. It works like you would not believe. I can shoot heavy turkey loads or slugs with one hand. At the Shotshow quite a few years ago (prior to Blackhawk buying them out) they were shooting slugs with an egg behind the stock without breaking it.

Since it adjusts it will fit in the winter with heavy jackets, with body armor or your 11 year old.

It's not the worst thing in the world to have a long barrel on hand. You may not hunt now but if things go south a long barrel could come in handy. I'd keep the barrel and the gun and just outfit it how you want.

You could also go find a skeet range and take it out a couple of times. Shootings clays is good fund and can be quite addicting.

Well, I was going to convert the 870 but Bimart has these Stevens 320's on sale...$167 + $10 bc. Mixed reviews on these but we'll see. Keep em clean!

7C871379-04A2-4A39-A81B-8276D8D6137E.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads