JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is just a general question but I was wondering if anybody knows of a decent gun store locally that pays a fair amout for trading in a firearm. I have never done this but seen many people get burned and I will not get burned. I understand they need to make some money off of the deal but still offer a fair amount. So if somebody knows of a fair place could you please let me know as I want to offload a gun I do not use. Thanks.

Scott

I don't know any dealer that will give you as much as you could get out of it by selling it in the classifieds. If you don't want to sell it off paper then you could either do a bill of sale or require that it is transferred through an FFL dealer.

I don't know any dealer that will give you as much as you could get out of it by selling it in the classifieds. If you don't want to sell it off paper then you could either do a bill of sale or require that it is transferred through an FFL dealer.

+1

Guns are very liquid when the price is right! And most people have no objections to doing a deal through a private FFL so long as it it stated up front in the deal.

So whatcha got?

QUOTE=Trlsmn;86873]+1

Guns are very liquid when the price is right! And most people have no objections to doing a deal through a private FFL so long as it it stated up front in the deal.

So whatcha got?[/QUOTE]

I have a Remington R15 in .204 and I don't use the damn thing. I bought it under the thought it was a .223 and I did not realize it was the .204. I am not interested in that caliber. Purley a mistake on my part and I have tried to sell it for 2 weeks and just don't have the patience to wait. I have to admit it was stupid on part and it sucks. I will make sure it never happens again and it's an expensive learning experince.:angry:[

Scott

+1

So whatcha got?

I have a Remington R15 in .204 and I don't use the damn thing. I bought it under the thought it was a .223 and I did not realize it was the .204. I am not interested in that caliber. Purley a mistake on my part and I have tried to sell it for 2 weeks and just don't have the patience to wait. I have to admit it was stupid on part and it sucks. I will make sure it never happens again and it's an expensive learning experince.:angry:[

Scott

If it uses the same bolt as the .223 ( a quick search says the cases are the same diameter .224) you could swap out the barrel for under $150

Those look to be going for +/- $1,200.00. As a used gun, the dealer will likely resell it at 80% or so of new price (depending on condition) so call it $900.00. S.O.P. is to offer 1/2 of the sale price when buying, so from a dealer the "fair" price they will offer you is roughly $450.00.

ETA: for a trade in you *might* get $600.00 store credit.

Scott

If you sell it on Gunbroker you should get a decent price on it, but then theres the shipping, fees, etc.

If you do decide to replace the barrel, I'm sure there are members who would be happy to assist you in changing the barrel. It wouldn't be camo...unless you ordered it from Remington. The bolt face will match what you currently have.

You could then sell the barrel on the classifieds and have yourself a .223.

Or you could go to the show this weekend and bring it with you.

I have an have some extra barrels but they are for other builds and it does not match and would look stupid. But thanks for all of the info but I accepted an offer from another member and I can't back out. But anybody looking for .204 I will make a great deal.....
Thanks to all for the info. I should get my FFL and this would make things alot easier.

Scott

Its not hard but it's not that easy to get an FFL. Easier if you were setting up a "business" but difficult if you are using it for personal or very small quantities.

Do some research.

Good luck!

I have had Northwest armory put many of my firearms up for auction. The reason I like the auction is that I know I am getting the best price, that is not subject to regional preferences that can drive a price up or down depending on where you live.

You could auction it yourself, but I like using the dealer to avoid any problems with shipping, BATFE, and so on. I like reducing my potential liability whenever possible.

For example, if the market for revolvers is soft in Oregon, but strong in Mississippi, then I will get the best price by allowing a national audience have a chance at the auction. And, I know I am getting the most money that anyone is willing to pay for the firearm.

I think that the percentage Northwest charges for their doing the auction isn't too bad considering that they have to do all the ads, paperwork, shipping etc.

I have had Northwest armory put many of my firearms up for auction. The reason I like the auction is that I know I am getting the best price, that is not subject to regional preferences that can drive a price up or down depending on where you live.

You could auction it yourself, but I like using the dealer to avoid any problems with shipping, BATFE, and so on. I like reducing my potential liability whenever possible.

For example, if the market for revolvers is soft in Oregon, but strong in Mississippi, then I will get the best price by allowing a national audience have a chance at the auction. And, I know I am getting the most money that anyone is willing to pay for the firearm.

I think that the percentage Northwest charges for their doing the auction isn't too bad considering that they have to do all the ads, paperwork, shipping etc.

What is the percentage for auctioning off your guns?

I'm not sure what they charge.. I think it may be 20%, but that counts doing all the listing, paperwork, shipping, and everything. You bring in the gun, they list it, and you end up with a check...

One of the reasons I really like using them is that going through an FFL insures that all laws are covered, and that you didn't inadvertently end up selling the firearm so someone who shouldn't get it. Your civil liability is drastically reduced (I would say eliminated, but I guess you can never eliminate the possibility of a nut case suing you for something ridiculous), and that is worth alot to me.

For a $600 firearm sale, you would pay $120 for everything. I didn't think that was unreasonable. Call them and ask if that is what they charge. I think on very large sale prices, or large collections, they may negotiate with you so the commission isn't unreasonable. I like Carl and his crew as they are always reasonable, fair, and don't mind explaining things to me.

Gunbroker on 82d offered me 150 on a gun they'd sell for 200 the other day. Don't know if that's their normal margin but I didn't think that was too bad.

The comments about price are right on. If you watch the classifieds alot of guns sit and sit and sit. Just not realistic on the price. IMO you're just not going to get 80 of 90% of the new sales price for any used gun unless it's an out of production collectible (python, etc.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top